Wanting to know when cabergoline will have effect on change

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi im 26 years old I have suffered with depression for many years and have always felt that i am not changeing as a person ie facial hair no sex drive and various other things. So I went for a blood test a couple of months ago and I was dignosed with a prolactinoma which one of my hormones was really high and i am now on cabergoline I started with 0.5mg now i am on 1mg. and all in all i have been on the medication for about 2 months and I am not really feeling any changes at the moment. Does anyone who has prolactinoma when changes will happen. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi Nick

these hormone things tend to creep up gradually and i think that they get better equally gradually also. you'll probably start to notice changes once your prolactin level is within the normal range - it might be on its way in that direction but not yet have descended enough.

i'd suggest that you also look on the website of the Pituitary Foundation. They also have a forum there so you could ask your question there as well.

best wishes and hope things improve noticeably soon.

• Posted

Hi dambudzo thanks for the reply i know that it will take a while for it to be back to its normal level I suppose im  just itching for things to change which is probably understandble. My doctor said that my prolactin is going down massively which is good news it started at 50,000 now its at about 10,000 I will check out the pituitary foundation website.

Thanks for your help cheers

• Posted

Hi nick, I am sorry to hear you are going through this at such a young age.  I was finally diagnosed with a prolactinoma after 6 years of suffering awful hormone problems.  It turns out the excess prolactin was causing my oestrogen to be ineffective.  I was given Cabergoline and the relief was immediate.

It sounds like you may have had the prolactinoma since your teenage years which reduced your testosterone and stopped your development.   Dambudzo's advice about talking to someone or more in the Pituitary Foundation is good, as you will come across someone else with the same experience.

As females with prolactinoma should be given extra oestrogen then maybe a boost of testosterone will be helpful to you.  You could discuss it with your gp but if you get nowhere with him, talk to your endocrinologist about it.  Try to arm yourself with info regarding this, either from the Pit Found and/or google '5-alpha reductase enzyme' which is responsible for the ineffectiveness of testosterone and oestrogen.

Other things to be tested for is vit B12, Vit D, and and Iron Panel - not just iron - but all the irons, ie ferritin, etc.

Education about your condition is power so that you can get the best treatment for yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.