Has anyone with PMR developed an allergy to certain food?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone, was diagnosed last November and put on 20mg pred, now down to 10mg but haven't been well since 19th July.  I had some kind of fever and slept for 11.5 hours.  Anyway 2 days later my stomach began to cramp and had diaorrea even after drinking water, was off my food completely.  Now I am just feeling a good bit better but still weak and eating normally now.  Having said that, I am still running to the toilet and have just worked out that it's when I eat bread (it doesn't matter if it's brown or white bread.  All comments welcome and thank you in advance.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How to stop the runs in their tracks.

Tablespoon ofr brandy and port mixed together, drink it down, repeat in two hours.   Runs gone.

Old Barmaid cure, travelled all over Continent in days when water was suspect, worked everytime.

• Posted

Thank you lodger, if it's a bug/virus then I would rather flush it out of my system.  The runs have gone but still need to go to the loo frequently.  
    • Posted

Hi Lodger, great treatment that !  As I see it, it works either way:  it stops the runs - great.  It doesn't stop the runs, no problem - you feel great anyway and cease caring about the runs . . . !!   ( Seriously, I'll file it away in the old head.)  J
  • Posted

The only "allergy" to food that I experienced was wanting more of it of any description!  You're obviously still suffering the after-effects of a stomach virus, so will be a bit delicate to some foods for a while.  If bread is posing a problem then leave it out for a while.  Arrowroot biscuits are very settling following a bout of diarrhoea.
    • Posted

Lol Mrs. O I don't have much of an appetite, haven't had in about 12 years, but I do eat.  Have appt. today with dr. (a locum)  We shall see.  Thank you.
    • Posted

Did you put a lot of weight on in the early days?  And, if so, have you lost it all now?

Regards Constance 💐

• Posted

No, Constance, I didn't put much weight on - about 5lbs, having already lost 10lbs whilst awaiting a diagnosis.  Although I said I experienced "wanting" more food, I managed to be very strict with myself, researched anti-inflammatory foods and stuck to them as far as possible, reducing carbs/sugar along the way.  Gosh I do sound like a goody two-shoes, don't I!rolleyes  
    • Posted

You were very lucky.Although hungry 24/7 I was also strict but still gained 2stone hence one of the numerous reasons had to come off prednisolone
    • Posted

gillian I would have counted myself lucky with a weight gain of 2 stone.  How about 6 stone?

But it was still pred, I had GCA. Once down to 8mg, it dropped off.

• Posted

LodgerUk NE like you I put on 5 Stone, Must be us Northen Ladies,Can not wait down to the Lower Doses, Still on 35mg at the moment.
    • Posted

Ah  I think it is the Vikings to blame - built like brick -

you know whats!!!! wink

• Posted

Wow!  Respect!  'stuck to strict diet'.  I never have been able to.  I like crisps and nuts and the odd 'tipple' too much.  I'm not overweight, you see, so sticking to any rigid diet has never appealed to me - even though I know certain foods are anti inflammatory and therefore advisable for people with PMR.

Regards fr C.

• Posted

Constance, I can so understand that if Pred isn't causing you any fluid retention/weight gain, then the incentive to follow a diet isn't top priority....and lucky you! 

To be honest, after months in bed and then later my face becoming so swollen and distorted when GCA arrived, that I was pretty desperate to feel I was doing something to get some control back over my life and my body, and the diet was my way of tackling that. 

And, by the way, even though a bit calorific in large quantities, nuts are fine!

Even without suffering from PMR/GCA, following a diet full of known anti-inflammatory and healthy foods, organic if affordable, can never be a bad thing when you think of all the pesticides and other nasties around in our environment.  And if it helps to reduce PMR pain, a bonus!  I certainly singled out the oily fish as helping, if I missed out on the usual three portions a week for any length of time, I definitely noticed a difference.

Enjoy the "odd tipple"........and revel in not having a weight problem!smile

(Love your little emoticom - where did you find that?)

• Posted

Confession!  Bit of water retention - I've put on 2 kilos - but, hey, I've still got a good BMI count.

I'm lucky.  We live in a small country town and they have a farmers market 3 days a week.  What more can one ask for?  If I can't for some reason get to one I rely on frozen veg.

Not keen on bread, pasta, cakes, so that helps.

Emoticom is just on my list!  Husband picks up a little bunch of flowers every week (if I am with him!!!!!!), so I thought it was appropriate.

On that note - regards from C.💐💐

• Posted

Very lucky you living in the country and having a regular farmers market....and lovely hubby to buy you flowers, even if it's only when you're with him - I have visions of you nudging him in the direction of the flower stall!lol   

Although there can't be anything fresher than food from a farmers market, frozen is also fine - it came out tops in a tv research programme recently.

Ah now you not being keen on bread, pasta and cakes is probably half the secret to you having a good BMI.  I love pasta and cakes, in fact I have a sweet tooth if I allow myself - that's why I just had to be strict!

Especially for you:  💐💐 xx

💐💐

• Posted

PS  Have you tried regular amounts of asparagus, celery, melon, garlic and fennel for the fluid retention?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.