Pelvic floor exercises for prolapsed bowel

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well folks today i started pelvic floor exercises for my prolapsed bowel.  For the uninitated they are little squeezes of the rectum held for about five seconds that can improve muscle control of the bowel.  I have nothing to lose, they can't make me any wider, they can be done while doing other stuff, watching telly, ironing etc and don't really interfere with your routine at all and are not in any way strenuous.  I know I will have the full support of my Consultant when I see her in three weeks time.  In the past I have been very reluctant and stubborn on this issue and I'm not sure why except to say that when you are ill you give in to conceit and general unco operativeness at times because you feel so low and poorly and down and so forth.  I have spoken to a couple of people with prolapses that found them helpful, and basically I am like a gone wrong inner tube inside, my colon and something, apart from my constant moaning, has to be done, particularly as post surgery, which was largely ineffective for me, the medics just don't know what to do, so wish me luck, and I'll update on my progress with them in a couple of months if you are interested out there, thanks. ;-)

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona I am in the similar position though have not had surgery and not going to if I can help it 

I have been given the same excerises but keep forgetting to do them  any tips 

hope they work for us both 

• Posted

HI June, sorry about delay in getting back to you, I am sure i did post a reply to you but I couldn't see it anywhere so here goes again!!  Thanks firstly for your response, I have no idea how this is going to go for me but will if you like post updates from time to time.  I often set my mobile alarm for certain times of the day, for all sorts of things as it happens and this might help to remind you, I don't know if that is any help, best of luck anyway, Fiona
  • Posted

Thanks will try the alarms have to get a code going so only I know what it is as I am at work in a room with others ,!!!!!

i have my appointment in about a month so I hope there will be a difference ,I don't want to be recommended for surgery ...yes great to see how your going as well good luck ..

• Posted

Hello Fiona, for 18 months I've undergone numerous tailbone and coccyx injections due to extreme pain while sitting. Recently I was diagnosed with rectal prolapse. I've had no bleeding or incontinence.

I have been referred to a rectal surgeon. Can you please tell me if this was one of your symptoms? I'm afraid to have surgery and find that the pain while sitting is not alleviated.

I thought my rectal issues were simply hemorrhoids.

• Posted

Hi Khrismith, I realise having a prolapse is a terrifying and unpleasant experience, but please try not to worry, I had a ventral mesh operation some three and a half years ago, it was completely painless and although I felt a bit "tight" for a day or so afterwards, things soon settled down and I had no pain or discomfort to speak of, neither can I "feel" the mesh the surgeon fitted me with. I had keyhole surgury, which they are normally able todo for this operation.

My symptoms were extreme frequent "visits" to the loo, lots of mucus and blood, but this can vary, you may not express identical symptoms.

I know of two other people who have also had a ventral mesh operation for prolapsed bowel and reported back that it was successful, so overall it's worth the hassle.

I wish you every success, please try not to get too anxious or you will make your symptoms worse although I realise this is hard sometimes. I hope this helps, be sure to keep me posted on your progress, with best wishes, Fiona

• Posted

Fiona can you tell me what led up to this ? Or anyone else reading my post here .

Reason for my asking ,I've had similar probs for now 9 yrs ,following illness weight loss ,I find sitting agony most days ,I use a heating pad ,at times .Ive looked at Levator syndrome ( cyclist syndrome ) Did you get any other problems running along side this ,even the smallest Id find of interest .

Many thanks 

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement. I'm very grateful and you taking the time to respond to me is deeply appreciated.

Could you please share with me if you had constant rectal pain, and pain worsened by sitting?

Where were your incisions? How much time were you in the hospital and unable to work?

• Posted

Hi Marlene, I had no actual pain in sitting, most of my pain, discomfort, symptoms etc were focused on actually opening my bowels, I was unstoppable!! Basically it's where the lower colon sags or comes out, distends, there's no special reason for it happening, I used to walk loads, swim and trampolene daily up to about 51 when I got illbut after that I was too exhausted from usually about 22 "visits" daily, it was a nightmare. I don't imagine everyone's symptoms are the same though, hope I've been of some help. Fiona
    • Posted

Hi again, I was in hospital overnight and off work for six weeks. I had no pain to speak of while sitting. They just fit the medical plastic mesh some early up your colon and after that you don't feel any pain.
    • Posted

Thanks Fiona ,my illness brought this all about,like I lost muscle ,I was walking to for upto 2 hours everyday 7 days a week after the illness ,couldn't put weight back on for almost 18 months .

My daughter suggested Kegels exercises may help ,I try and do those when stood up ,maybe I need to put that into practise regularly.

Did you have IBS symptoms ? Following from when you were ill ,I've never had bowel pain since this began,but have to watch what I now eat ,again no problem prior to illness .Drs just gave me the Fodmap diet ,never suffered any constapation in all this time .Glad I found what's being said on here  never heard of this .Again thanks Fiona 

• Posted

Marlene your comment interested me very much.

I've also had extremely painful sitting for nearly two years.

Two MRI's and a CT scan with contrast. They came back normal. I feel something must me pressing on a nerve. I lay on n air mat in my living room as I can't bear to sit in our sofa. I still work full time but it is getting unbearable for me. The injections have not helped at all. I've had steroid injections, an epidural steroid injection, pudendul nerve block, and an impar ganglion block.

How did your pain begin?

• Posted

Sandra ,just saw your post here ,jumped in with this ,go look at Pudental neuralgia entrapment .I told Kristian yesterday .Go see if yours matches ,it not well known to drs ,even when you describe symptoms. 

Regards Marlene 

• Posted

Thanks Marlene,

I have checked with this on Pudendal sites seen one doctor who agrees I do not have this problem. However many women do have this nerve problem.

I have come to the conclusion albeit very late that I have swollen heamorrhoids which should have been dealt with 4 years ago.

Indeed I have prolapse issues, womb right down, bladder right down but I am not symptomatic with this and it is so easy for a gynaecologist to look see things down and say fine hysterectomy and anterior repair. If ladies your symptoms are not worse at the end of the day, no dragging no pulling, no problems climbing stairs, no problems walking for a great length of time then banding may help

One needs to be attached to a Trust that does old fashioned banding of haemorrhoids which has been an 80% successful procedure for years. 

I am in need of tissue of the mucosal lining banded to see if this will help. I fear this is now all too late as I had no idea what the problem was. For those ladies with anal discomfort no bleeding or constipation try banding first.  

I have struggled with this problem and because I had no regular bleeding or constipation it was dismissed.  I am now in a very bad way and I guess  need indepth prolapse surgery which as all you ladies know can give a number of  problems with mesh erosions and repeat surgeries..

I am sure I need this surgery but first need to find a doctor who agrees to using a dissolvable mesh. 

As patients we look up to our surgeon and believe we are in the best of hands and of course we are not medics. They sometimes cannot get it right with prolapse.  For me I will try some banding primarily,  although I fear too late now.  However this posting may not be too late for others that read it.

Sandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.