Worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had abdominal pain for a few days in April, then finally went to see the doctor, who sent me straight to the surgical assessment unit at my hospital with suspected apendicitis.  I had surgery the next day and was told I had a divcular absess, I was on iv antibiotics for a few days in hospital had the drain removed ( I've snapped my wrist and the drain being pulled out was worst).  Now after being told I would be booked in for a colonoscopy in  6 weeks and sent home with more antibiotics I was told 2 days ago by the hospital that I don't need one as another consultant had deemed it unessercery a week after I left hospital .  The only reason i say this is that I went to my doctor 2 days ago with a similar pain and was told that I didn't have a fever and to see how the pain went it got worse the next day and I phoned him and he perscribed the usual antibiotics I still have no fever the pain is manageable, I'm just a bit worried am I being paranoid about the pain , I'm only 38 and don't want this really but should I not of had a colonoscopy or do they think it's not that bad ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I sympathise with you, the pain of this condition is like nothing else and only really understood by fellow sufferers. I am not sure where you live? I'm in the UK and my GP explained to me the colonoscopy is used to confirm the diagnosis, then it's about treating the flare ups. I asked about dietary advice, referral to dietician and he advised not to eat what causes the flare ups. Really?!! I am currently drinking Aloe Vera and probiotics and it's definetley easing. I can understand your concern and frustrations, the advice and follow up after diagnosis is (in my experience) less than helpful. Take care of yourself ☺
  • Posted

If the pain is manageable and you have no fever you can try and treat this with a low fibre diet and rest. Taking repeated courses of antibiotics helps destroy the good gut bacteria that are essential to our health. A day or two on a clear liquid diet is sometimes needed to help rest the bowel. I find I cannot eat big meals though trying to pinpoint what sets off flares can be difficult. I have kept a food diary for months but am still mystifed though I have come to the conclusion that tough meats are culprits. The colonoscopy is necessary to rule out any other cause of symptoms such as bowel cancer. Imaging techniques such as CTscans which can confirm diverticulitis and show abcesses and fistulas are not 100% accurate for detecting cancers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.