16 y/o going blind?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just today, my vision had tiny lights swimming around my vision theyre like glowing sperm-shaped objects. What triggers these? Am i going blind?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do you suffer from anxiety at all? That usually makes people notice small light flashes and floaters a lot more than usual, giving the impression that something is wrong. Check it out with your optician, I've never heard of flashes or light objects being symptoms of going blind, but if the lights become excessive, then check it out with the optician to rule anything out, a simple appointment will give you all the answers you need.
  • Posted

Squiggly lights in eyes indicates pressure behind your eye, as I have had and you need to be checked out by an optician.  Yes you can have degrees of blindness if your retina detaches. Get checked.
  • Posted

Will this go away eventually, my parents won't take me anywhere. They would just tease me that it's probably because I'm playing too much video games, and end up laughing at me and not taking me to any doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Jordan, are you UK based if so at 16 you can go alone to see an optician which is what you should do. A GP will only send you anyway. Again UK based there are always cheap offers for check ups in magazine and you can get them for £10, but if you are still in education you should get this free anyway. This is what you need to know. Black squiggles are normal and part of ageing, yes I know you are only 16 but you are getting older, they are also a sign of migraine headaches, which if you are using the computer a lot could be the case, you do not need to have pain to have migraine. Now if the lights are like thunder ie little white lights that shoot across the eye that is a different story and you do need to get checked. This could be a detached retina starting and this does need looking at quickly. Do not panic explain this to your parents and get it looked at. I know this because I have had both, the black squiggles and the lights. I did not have a detached retina just a tear which settled down. Once you have the black squiggles you tend to have them permanently but the hospital told me your brain learns to ignore them so they are not so noticeable. I think your parents would rather get you safely checked than let you damage your sight. Do not leave this get it looked at. Can you ask a relative for help if your parents are unable to? I have a 16 year old and would not laugh if he told me this.
    • Posted

If you have told your parents and they dont take you seriously,then at 16 you can go to the doctor or optician on your own...it would be confidential.  You are obviously concerned and a doctor or optician will certainly take you seriously.      How many hours a day do you look at a computer screen?   Try not to use any sort of screen for a few days[hard I know,but this is the sort of thing the doctor/optician will want to rule out] and you may find you have already found the cause of your problem. As you say...you play a lot of video games
    • Posted

If as I suspect he is in America he would have to pay.
  • Posted

Keep an 'eye' on it, if it gets worse or you see brighter lights like stars, you must go to Emergency Dept to be checked.  I have got those lights and have had them for a while as I have got a bleed on the back of my eye, you can't see anything, so if they don't settle down you should get checked out.  Try going without your 'screen' and see if it helps.
  • Posted

hi dunno if this will help you but it might be worth asking your GP about. i have epilepsy and often see lights in my vision path.....i have glasses with a film coating to help prevent me getting them ( they dont work biggrin maybe try work out what triggeres it? are you spending alot of time on the computer? u lacking sleep? if your 16 then probley both smile

good luck, i hope your eyes get sorted soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.