Is this just a flare up?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, was diagnosed with diverticular disease last October, I have a few dents in my colon. Have managed to keep it under control with the occasional off day, but the last week or so have noticed different symptoms and not sure if diverticular or something else. I have a lot of a pain under left rib which radiates across top and bottom of stomach, I am really windy (sorry) and notice that after I eat I get burning and stinging pain in left side and top of stomach area. I also noticed rather weirdly that when I lean against the sink for instance I can feel something in the left side and middle of stomach pulse, it I was pregnant I would say it was like a small kick and I can sometimes feel a heart beat like sensation. I also have GERD which is bad at the minute and am quite bloated. My urine is a bit dark, poo normal colour and normal consistency, I do not feel sick just a bit off, I am not loosing weight but just worried that something else has gone wrong. I am 56 and female by the way. Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

I'm afraid that anyone who gives an empathetic, "yes", here might be unhelpful to you.  Ladies abdominal plumbing is much more complex than gents' (I'm male, by the way! lol) and at your declared time of life, other events can crowd the pipework I believe. :-(   There's little doubt that you should see your GP for the appropriate scanning technology to check how everything is 'co-residing' in there.

Good luck with that,

Pete.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Pete, you sound like a nice caring man, you obviously know what we are going through with Diverticular problems. Will speak to GP if not cleared within a few days, but do think it is a flare up as apart from the kicking sensation similar to last time.
  • Posted

Hi youngatheart,

I was told it was the waste in the intestines that was moving and causing a similar feeling to a pre born baby kicking.  

• Posted

Hi,

It sounds like you may need to give your intestines a little rest for a few days.  That pulse/baby kicking feeling is inflammation and your intestines are having spasams.  Try drinking aloe vera juice and going on a liquid diet until your stomach feels normal.  Always go by how you feel to know when to eat and when to rest.

• Posted

Hi...."That pulse/baby kicking feeling is inflammation and your intestines are having spasams.  "

Even though there is no pain..just a sensation?

• Posted

A weird sensation at that, I was a bit worried for a minute, but this has now settled down following a day or so of bland foods. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
  • Posted

What is happening are some signs of things that will happen when your getting ready to have a flare up. Your body is letting you know now to let it rest. There is no pain yet because your not infected which you want to avoid. The feeling of movement is also the waste moving through your intestines but its moving slow due to the inflammation. If for now on you take those feelings your having now as a warning. You can avoid flare ups by immediately going on a rest diet. Which are aloe vera juice and other liquids. The aloe vera juice will soothe your intestines and reduce the inflammation. Also get you a good probiotic to take every day.
    • Posted

Hi Tee, I got some probiotics as well as buscopan so things settling a bit now, the feeling of movement was rather unnerving, just a bit of gurgling now I have started to make changes to eating etc hoping to avoid the horrendous pains I had before disagnosis last October. I will know what to look out for now. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi this is still going on. Had blood tests which came back normal no infection, no liver disease, so not gall stones. I have been living on buscopan, lactoease, fybogel and trying to have a bland diet. My urine is still dark but no infection. So basically no infection, no antibiotics, but lots of wind, bloating, pain when eating, lumpy poo which smells really bad with some mucous (SORRY) and a tiny bit of blood, I apparently have internal piles so may be that. I just seem so bunged up and bloated with pain all over stomach. Told I need low residue foods, just concerned that there is no infection but so much discomfort. Had this for nearly 3 weeks now so getting a bit fed up
    • Posted

I would ask for a CT Scan.  I had been having same symptoms for a long time and every bloodwork showed no signs of liver problems.  Went for a Scan a month and a half ago and they found NAFLD (Non Alcoholic fatty Liver Disease) and Diverticulitis  Some days I look like I'm 8 months pregnant and my toes on the right foot look like cocktail weenies.  I've been noticing a lot of people on here talking about Aloe Vera Juice.  Where would I get this?  This is the first I've heard about what the gurgles are.  I've often wondered..lol.

I'm also being tested for Hemochromatosis which is a genetic disorder where your body stores Iron.  It can lead to Liver issues which I've recently found out can in turn lead to bowel issues. So I've got to figure out which one is most urgent to fix.  I'm think Divi because that's the most bothersome at the moment.  I decided on my own to start a mainly liquid diet to rest the internals.  I only have one small solid food meal a day because I need to take my Metformin (for the liver) with food. So far so good..went from 17 BM on Friday to 2 yesterday.  Still loose and painful but at least it's not every 20 mins.

I know how you feel about being fed up.  Seems like it's been this way since I got diagnosed.  I turned 40 in July and it's like a switched was flipped from feeling relatively good to feel horrid all the time. Some one asked me recently if I was feeling any better and my response was the only way I think I'll ever feel better is if they take my A** out.

The people in this goup have been a major help smile

• Posted

Hi Sunni, thanks for your reply, I am due to have a scan on 8th September, one of those hand held ones not sure if it is the same as you had. I was convinced it was liver related as my eyes look a bit yellow but like you my bloods are good and GP said she does not believe I have jaundice but will see what scan shows. My divi has been playing up now for over a month, but bloods show no infection so just putting up with it and taking OTC meds as I cannot get anti b's I know what you mean about feeling good and then bad, I hit 50 and bang I went from being able to walk a mountain and fighting fit to being anxious about my health on a daily basis. Everything aches and life sucks. Getting older is not fun. I keep telling myself I am not old, I have a 16 year old son who keeps me young or so I like to think. I agree this group have been very supportive.
    • Posted

Hi Y.A.H

My scan was very different..I was given a contrast to drink an hour befor the scan so they could see my bowels and then after they had me on the table that the machine revolved around they injected me with dye.  I was scanned from my neck to my thighs.  I have 3 daughters (13, 15, 16) that keep me on my toes! smile

• Posted

Hi, that sounds scary, but good in a way as at least they checked everything in one go. Are you in the UK as I have not heard of that before. 3 teenage girls - will swap all 3 for my teenage son, nightmare, back to school tomorrow Yehhhh.
    • Posted

Hi, nope in Canada.  Very...very rural Canada (newfoundland)  ...where there is absolutely NOTHING TO DO and is TOTALLY BORING... according to said 3 daughters... who  don't go back till the 8th..lucky you...lol

• Posted

I love Canada went to Montreal, Ottowa and Quebec and loved all the snow. That also explains about the scan, in the UK they do one tiny bit at a time, I do not really understand why when you are in scan they cannot do it all, cost I expect and time to check it all. Roll on the 8th and lets hope we both feel better soon. Take care
    • Posted

I was in Scan about 20 minutes tops.  Here it's the long wait times.  sometimes can take up to 8 months to get one.  I was put in as emerg and still had to wait 3 weeks.  You're right countdown to the 8th has begun...lol

Here's to feeling better!

Sunni

• Posted

Feeling better has just been put on hold, perfectly fine this morning apart from the odd twing, now after lunch just a few chips, in total agony, feels like someone has got my belly button from inside and is twisting it. Wish this disease would go away.
    • Posted

Hi YAH

I've just read your comments posted 9 days ago. Apart from the urine colour these symptoms resonate very closely to mine in March/April when I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Chrohn's colitis. An earlier blood test had revealed nothing.

Good luck

Pete 

• Posted

Hi Pete thanks for replying. I was diagnosed last October with diverticular and saw the pockets in the colon. I have been ok apart from the odd twinge until a couple of weeks ago. The trouble is GP said bloods ok, urine ok so won't give me anti b's, so surviving on OTC medication, which until yesterday started to help. I find it hard to believe that there is no infection when you are in so much pain. I am due to have scan on 8th Sept just one those hand held ones they do when pregnant, so not sure what that shows. I will keep in mind your diagnosis and push for further tests if scan shows nothing as do not want to live in fear of everything I eat. I don't know about you but beige food is becoming boring, I could murder a good curry !!! Take care
    • Posted

I think you would be right to press your GP for further investigation if the scan shows nothing. It may be a whole range of things other than Chrohn's or Ulcerative Colitis.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis about 8 years ago and have had few flares apart from when I developed the symptoms similar to yours earlier this year.

I agree about the blandness of food which appears to help in calming symptoms but does nothing for a raging appetite. Even when in remission  as now I tend to eat small frequent snacks/meals as a large meal leaves me very bloated and sore for hours.

Regards

Pete

• Posted

Sorry for late reply, I am starting on the small and often diet. I did have a very mild curry last night, no effects up to now, but am now taking metranidazole which bring a whole loads more side effects but appear to have calmed pain down for now. Bye for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.