Hiatus Hernia Symptoms (Exercising)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia in April, a size wasn't given. At the start of the year I was noticing when I walked the dog I was getting pain in my throat, I thought this was due to the cold air. It gradually got worse until I had that indigestion feeling of a golf ball moving up and down my oesophagus, with a burning sensation, feeling that I needed to burp and forcing one up! It wasn't happening immediatley, usually after a half mile or so.

The main symptoms I have are the indigestion/pain in throat feeling when walking fast (chewing gum helps), also when cutting the grass and sweeping up (bizarrely only when I pull the brush towards me not away from me!). Lifting heavy shopping sometimes results in pain. Tried some running today and that hurt too. I also get the other symptoms, breastbone pain (painful to touch), sore throat, sometimes a click feeling when I swallow, a bit wheezy sometimes when breathing (certainly more prone to bouts of heyfever). Fortunately I have only woken up twice with acid in my throat, once after too much red wine and the other after eating a Chinese too late at night, my own fault that!

I have to say that the symptoms did get worse after the endescopy though. 10 days beforehand I had to stop taking Omeprazole, I had already adjusted my diet and could now walk better without too much discomfort.

Does anyone else get similar symptoms when doing any form of exercise? Currently got a sore throat after the run/walk.

Looking at options for the future, don't fancy the Nissan procedure, but the linx one looks promising.

Cheers,

Mike 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is a Hiatus heria the same principle as any other one? Is it a split of the muscles somewhere? Although mine is a incisional Hernia from surgery, it's right between my breastbone and just under my sternum. It causes pain when I eat, if I should cough and I've sometimes had that pain in my throat you speak about when walking a distance. I've always wondered what that was and I've even mentioned it to my doctor but i was never told it might be related. After reading your post, i now wonder if it's possible. I too get pain when I lift something heavy. It's very uncomfortable and unfortunately something I have to live with for now. I hope you find some relief through.
    • Posted

Yes, the same area. Coughing can also cause some pain but it's mainly when walking a distance like yourself or lifting heavy items. I knwo some people in Work who have a hiatus hernia who don't really get the throat pain with exercise, but I guess peoples symptoms can be different.
  • Posted

Thanks for that info, at least now I know and I'll mention it the next time I see my doctor. Good luck, I hope you find relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.