Has anyone self treated with coca cola?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had IBS symptoms for many years and currently on a Fodmap diet with a NHS dietician. This diet does seems to help. However, I am waiting for an appointment for a further scan as I suspect I have a small intestine obstruction most likely a bezoar. I vomit and feel full especially when I eat solid protein. It doesn't seem to digest.  Occasionally I feel large hard marbles in my belly. I have tried strong digestive enzymes which haven't helped. The nausea is really terrible and I searched for alternative treatments. It seems there is some medical literture which suggests that coca cola effectively dissolves these undigested masses. Has anyone had any experience using coca cola? I don't  drink it at all.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed for years with IBS. The only thing that seemed to help me and I am not sure why was coke floats.. with ice cream. I would have only that for a day or 2 and I would somehow feel much better. No scientific study or other meds but it worked for me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

RESULTS:

Over a 10-year period (2002-2012), 24 papers including 46 patients have been published. In 91.3% of the cases, phytobezoar resolution with Coca-Cola administration was successful, either as a single treatment (50%) or combined with further endoscopic techniques, whereas only 4 patients underwent surgery. Phytobezoars were more likely to dissolve after initial attempt with Coca-Cola compared with diospyrobezoars (60.6% vs. 23%, P = 0.022).

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are we saying here that if one drinks Coca cola it will cure IBS or just the bezoars? 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

no, yes, and maybe,

There is no known cure for IBS so says the science..because IBS may be the consequences of several possible causes...several "if's"...if a bezoar slows down stomach digestion (gastroparesis) it would be more likely by removing the obstruction, normal transit of chyme from stomach to the small intestine "could" improve or remedy colonic processing. One must keep in mind, researchers guess at the  etiology or cause/s of IBS.  it is  thought to be multifactorial. Ann

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi! Glad to hear the fodmap is helping for you! smile

I've been told so many times not to drink coke, but it's the only thing that keeps my nausea away, blood sugars up and gives me energy.

My doctor says if it helps you, then to keep drinking it just not to go over the top with it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am not sure what a bezoar is - is it a build up of hard faeces? I have had a lot of nausea over the last few days, but I have suffered with IBS for years and not had the nausea. I have lately eaten lemon with rind. I drink hot water with lemon in and I have  been also eating the lemon slices. Could this cause a bezoar? and is  why I am now nauseous? I have just realised that the lemons I have are waxed. eek
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Elaine, I'd need to take a deep look at lemon to determine its content...but for safety. wash any citrus with warm soapy water, then soak in a bowl of cold water with some white or apple vinegar...5 minutes..let dry. Should also prevent "mould"

Bezoar's are formed in the stomach...usually..but can also be found in the small intestine all the way to the ceacum (rare).

A tad more info hopefully to elucidate bezoar formation. Researchers claim itiology of IBS is multifactorial..their first listed cause is “gut motility”. While I “think” they infer Colon,  stomach motility is as important a player as the rest of the digestive system.

Some plant products such as persimmons (especially unripe) have an element that can Form a bezoar “IF” the stomachs motility (grinding process or peristalsis) is not up to speed. It is well understood, one abnormality can have a cascade of additional problems.

The body does have “work arounds” as it constantly attempts to establish homeostasis (normality)…not always successful due to phenotypes (genetics) and what we have inhaled or ingested.

Without digging deep into the many coca cola bezoar studies, I would “think” only a short period of time would be needed..one  4oz  or 8 oz…and see how it goes…if  not helpful another 8 oz following day…and stop if no improvement.

I am familiar with some coca cola uses….it can stop nausea...mom’s have given sips to their children post vomiting to curb discomforts. And I’ve used it post major abdominal Surgeries to stop nausea and any chance of a “reflux”that could open the surgical wound.

I recall one (1) case of a 30 year old male with  intermittent lower abdominal pain remedied with 4 oz of coca cola…over a period of a year, each time a “flare”..coke would resolve the pain…however “it stopped working”,

2 GP’s unable to diagnose, 2nd gp referred him to an elderly GI who did a DRE,   sent patient direct to OR for  appendectomy…resolved his pain and no relapse. (his pain was periumbilical..not  right sided as usual)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yesterday, I drank a bottle of diet coke and it helped my my mausea and vomitting beyond my expectations. However I am not used to the cafeine and it kept me awake for ages. I am hoping the caffeine free coke is just as effective. I would have never guessed that coke had it's uses.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Anne and Nick,

Thank you for your detailed response, I have completed the Coca Cola trial. It started to hurt my stomach so I did stop drinking it daily after two weeks, it also seemed to slow down my digestion. Unfortunately, apart form helping the nausea it does not seem to have sorted out the problem. I am still on a very strict low Fodmap diet which on the whole helps a lot. However I still vomit followed often now by diarrhea. I seem to be very sensitive to even a little fresh lemon juice diluted in water. Eating very small amounts of food helps but I get hungry. I already had a clear endosdoscopy and am waiting for a further imaging test to determine motility I believe. Fortunately any pain I get is brief only before diarrhea. But I do feel sick every day, if I indulge in a full meal it just seems to sit there till I vomit.

Well thank you for your insights.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for this tip. I had been really suffering with nausea for a few days. Last evening I had 2 cans of Diet & Caffeine Free Coca Cola and I am much better today!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up