Creative ideas on how to deal with ALL THE BLOOD?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have one fibroid but it causes me major problems due to the volume of blood lost during the first days of my period. No tampon or pad or menstrual cup is enough, I find myself in the bathroom on average every 45 minutes, sometimes it only takes 15 minutes to fill a super-plus tampon. I'm sick of being trapped at home for 2 days a month running to and from the bathroom.

What can I do?? I read that some people use 2 super sized tampons at once.  Does anyone have any advice on what they've tried? Please help sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

One super-plus tampon plus 2 overlapping overnight pads.  Also get your GP to prescribe tranexamic acid 500 mg two tablets three times a day and mefenamic acid or ibuprofen (you can buy over counter) three times a day.  Both of these together will reduce bleeding by about 25-30% if you take for the first 4 to 5 days of your period.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! I already take lots of ibuprofen for the pain I experience, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference in terms of bleeding.  My doctor prescribed me tranexamic acid recently and I am excited to try it for my next period. I was hoping for like a 75% percent reduction in bleeding though! It sounds like my hopes are too high? What's been your experience with the tranexamic acid? does taking more equal better results?
  • Posted

I agree with Peruvian lily, also as my were ridiculously heavy but also prolonged my GP precribed Norethisterone (which is basicaly like the pill). I eventually had the mirena coil fitted to stop the bleeding, it has but still prolonged but very light. Good luck, I know how horrible it is
    • Posted

I had the mirena and had good results in terms of a reduction of bleeding but unfortunately I experienced terrible cystic acne. It was not mild, it was bad, bad enough that people would comment on how bad my skin was. Finally I gave up after 9 months. I did really like the mirena though. Debating about trying it again and maybe it could be different this time around? Really don't want to be permanently broken out though.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have resorted to using Tena lady's or supermarkets own brand of these which are really absorbent...although I always go on a self service till as quite embarrassing buying them regularly.

I have recently been diagnosed with a large fibroid after an ultrasound & am awaiting consultant appointment to see what can be done as anemic due to the heavy periods.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I deal with anemia too, its so hard for my poor body to keep up with the bleeding. sad  

If you are looking for some super strength iron pills I recommend Euro-fer.  They are awesome! Warning though, as with any iron pill you may experience errr... some "gastrointestinal upset"!

• Posted

I used to suffer exactly the same way. It is horrendous, and so embarrassing. I couldn't leave the bathroom, never mind the house. For a while, I coped by taking the contraceptive pill, so that I could plan, when the bleeding would be at its worst. Usually timed to happen at a weekend when I didn't have to go to work. Obviously, not good for my social life! After one particularly bad & heavy period, and at the end of my tether, I was given a 3 month Zoladex injection by my GP. My periods stopped completely for 12 months, my tummy went flat, and my life went back to normal.When the periods returned I had a 6 month Zoladex, and then no period for 18 months. In total I had 8 to 10 injections, which saw me through to the menopause, and NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL, apart from NO BLEEDING!! The medical profession are reluctant to give Zoladex now, because of the supposed side effects (can cause osteoporosis).However, as I believe Zoladex is quite expensive, I think it is more probably due to the cost, and the subsequent dffect on their budgets.
    • Posted

wow interesting! I hadn't heard of Zoladex. I googled it and it does seem to have some potentially serious side-effects.  Unfortunately I am only 31 and menapause is a long way off, so my doctors are hesitant to do anything that would affect my fertility or mess my hormones up too much.  (Im sure they already are way out of wack...!) Having no period would be amazing though.  I hate when the worst days of my period fall on a weekend. I had to miss my good friend's wedding, a concert, and many parties and other social events in which I had to provide some lame excuse about being "sick."  I do'nt know how I will keep dealing with this every single fricking month until i hit menapause! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.