New diagnosis

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with PMR and just taken my 3rd day of 15mg steroid.  Can anyone tell me how long before they start working? 

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi and welcome to the club (not!). I started on a much higher dose and it worked in the first day - bu from what others say they've had a significant (70%) improvement in the first day or two on 15mg.

If you don't get any improvement it would appear that it's not PMR and you'll need to get back to your Dr ASAP.

• Posted

I am feeling exactly the same, I have another appointment next Monday to see GP for a follow up.  The pains I have started about two weeks ago and on my first visit to GP I got bloods taken, I went back a few days later and got told my levels were a bit raised and it was PMR I am 48. Everything has happened so fast I'm a bit overhwelmed.

• Posted

I competely understand - I went into shock at diagnosis - and I had no real understanding of what was coming and how long it was going to last (that's the depressing bit).

If you've had no improvement it won't be PMR. Can you get back in to see the Dr any earlier?

• Posted

I might be able to get an appointment.  I have been getting such a wide range of symptoms the last week that I don't know if it's all connected or not.  I am on my second week off work too whch is adding extra stress.  
    • Posted

Firstly, STOP STRESSING ABOUT WORK! :-)

You are sick, there's nothing you can do about that, so just let that guilt go.....

So, tell me (us) what symptoms you have.......

• Posted

Pain across my back between my shoulders, radiating down arms, under arms, ebows, wrists and hands although not all the time. My arms feel heavy and it is uncomfortable sitting upright for too log. I also have discomfort high up across my chest. I keep getting chills where I sit and shiver vigorously for a little while but have no temperature. I get dizzy turns. Concentration is bad and keep forgetting what I'm away to say or the words. Wake up through the night with a jolt, I usually sleep well. Overall feel unwell and miserable. Thanks for taking the time to talk btw smile 
    • Posted

Hey, no problem :-)

Everyone has differerent symptoms, and yours do sound like it *could* be PMR. Any pain in the hips/back/thighs?

Can you lift your elbows up to the sides to above your head?

• Posted

I don't have any problem with movement at all, I get niggles in my hip muscles but nothing really.  My arms get particularly heavy and achy when drying my hair for example. I went  for a therapeutic massage at the weekend before I got my diagnosis and must say that was really painful, the muscles in my back an neck were very sore to touch. On reading other posts on here though i don't think I have such painful symptoms as some other people.

• Posted

Hmm, who knows. PMR is a slippery beast to diagnose.

One of the biggest things I found is that I couldn't roll over in bed, or get out of the car or a chair. I was completely fatigued - it felt like I was drugged half the time.

I couldn't hang out the washing - I certainly couldn't have blow dried my hair..... Cripes, it's all coming back to me now - I'd forgotten how bad it was without prednisone!

• Posted

Oh sounds bad, I am tired but usually ahve a busy lifestyle so that could explain that.  i have no problems moving around at all, I maybe have a mild case....
    • Posted

Personally I hope you don't have it at all!

I'm a very active 51 year old, working full time, and this i/was a real blow to me.

• Posted

Did you have it a while before you were diagnosed?  I also thought, going by info from websites, that I might have got tests for other conditions first.
    • Posted

I personally don't think you have PMR, although Î may be totally wrong. One of the tests is seeing how high you can lift your arms. It sounds very much as if your pain is a different sort if you still have good movement. 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed last December. Looking back I must have had it for a couple of months before I finally realised there was something seriously wrong with me - it sort of snuck up on me. I remember not sleeping well, not being able to turn over in bed without pain, and then one day realising that I just couldn't hang out the washing any more (there were a heap of other things I couldn't do but they stand out in my mind) Stupid to let it get to that point really, but you think these things will get better.... I've always been so robust!

In one way you are lucky that your Dr knows about PMR - it's often missed, and is 'easily' treated so is easy to eliminate. You might suggest that you increase your dose - some people need more to knock the symptoms down in the first instance.

• Posted

The GP never physically examined me or asked me anything much about movement etc, I basically started getting the pain in my back and upper arms on the Thurs/Fri at work, by the following Thurs things were a lot worse so I went to GP and explained that I had pain across my shoulders, neck and arms.  She asked no questions, took blood for what she said was a condition that caused pain in shoulders and hips and that was that...a quick appointment! The following Monday I got my diagnosis.
    • Posted

yeahhhhh, riiigght. There's nothing like a thorough appointment!

I'd be asking a lot more questions when you next see her, and also getting a second opinion.

You do NOT want to be taking steroids if you don't need to!

• Posted

Thanks for all the help, I will post an update again after I see my GP or if the meds start to work. Take care smile
    • Posted

There is no true diagnosis as such for PMR it is really a matter of discounting everything else first. If the pain can then be reduced by a fairly low dose of steroids such as 15mg that usually confirms the diagnosis. High ESR and CRP from blood tests showing inflammation can give an indication too, but around twenty per cent of people do not have raised blood counts, which also is a bit of a problem in diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.