Heel pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have had this going on for 3 years now and still no closer to an outcome. The pain is in the back of both heels and when touched is really painful. I have had xrays, ultrasounds and an MRI for Plantar and tendonitis but both have been ruled out as nothing showing up. The symptoms led them to believe it was one or the other ie Plantar or Tendonitis, I can hardly walk when I get out of bed and when I point my toes to the air it pulls around the back of my heel. As I work in retail and I'm on my feet all day my feet ache the longer the day goes on and by the time I get home I shuffle along as the pain hurts too much. Once I sit down and rest for as little as 10 minutes I feel everything tighten up and is hard to walk. I have now been told by my the consultant that he doesn't think the pain is in my feet and if it is he can't find it so has now made me an appointment to see the spinal team that's if they are willing to see me. Surely if I am in pain and can't get through a day without any then surely there must be a problem somewhere. At 40 years old I find myself not being able to do the things I love like long distance walking and being out in the fresh air instead. I spend most of my free time resting my feet so I can be ready for the following day as its a constant struggle with the pain. If anyone has had similar issues or has any suggestions then please let me know and thanks for taking the time to read this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also like you have had this condition for Three long years and have recently been told it is degenerative which is very up setting. After numerous cortisones and gastrocnemius release plus shock waves, I now have learnt that I have to deal with this alone. I paid out thousands on shoes orthotics, dvds on how to repair it.

I like you love walking/exercising,gym etc but have had to give it up I have found my feet change with the pain also, sometimes some type of shoe will work then sometimes a simple croc shoes will work!! Crocs were my friend for a while then  walking boots now a rocker trainer,Its a conundrum

I always roll my feet with ice twice a day sometimes more.

I use arch support straps as well during the day !They are extremely helpful and help with the pain, gel heel cups also in your shoes. Plus night braces at night cure the pain in the morning. Before I sleep I rub my feet with gel pain relief and put them on. Intially I wore them in the day also and just rested. The key is rest.keeping off your plantar. However I work all day and not always possible. Im a busy person. TBH I have had private help plus paid out thousands to get better and think I shouldnt have had the last op. Podiatrists didnt help me either. its a fascia pain we feel. By wearing insoles and breathable shoes that can help somewhat. Truly buy night braces. Im now three years down the line and can walk two hours without pain, but will suffer later in the evening.I work on the principle of one hour on my feet one hour off , Also cut out sugar the sugar rises up our inflammation marker sounds weird but its true, eat fresher, cleaner. Do stretches for fascia.Dont walk bear foot ever, wear crocs the closed in type indoors. Dont walk on marble floor hard surfaces without gel insoles.  It all helps.Seek advice from true professionals even its on NHS Im now on their books. This condition has nearly broken me mentally.Im now resigned to it so work with it !! 

• Posted

Firstly thank you for your reply. I have done the frozen bottle under my foot and standing on the stairs and lowering plus leaning into the wall, none of this has helped and have been told that as they can't find anything wrong with my feet its pointless doing the exercises. I had both feet in aircast boots for six weeks but the moment they came off the pain was still there. I was looking at getting something like crocs as this may sound strange but I wore flip flops for a couple of days and the pain on the back of my heel wasn't anywhere near as painful. I told my consultant but he wasn't sure why this happened but said my feet are not the problem and not the cause of the pain in my heels. I have tried creams like ibruprofen pain relief and only help at night. I have had gel inserts and orphotics from my hospital but with no effect.
  • Posted

Bless your heart rich50170,

I feel ya! Nearly 3 years for me too. I first got it in both feet...seems like it just came out of nowhere. I researched and then rolled my heels on the plastic, frozen water bottle and it instantly was gone in the right heel. But...it never left my left heel no matter what I've done. However, that leg also has severe lymphedema and the foot is very swollen so it would take a miracle it seems to heal that heel!! I also find temporary relief wearing Crocs...even the knock off ones work well bc it's about cupping the heel instead of landing flat on it when you walk. They make Crocs for men too....ever try them? Also the curved Sketchers walking shoe or same type curved shoe also made by Ryka work and are extremely thick with padding. Other than the frozen bottle....only complete bedrest seems to cure this horrible disease and for how long..will vary but I was admitted to the hospital once for 6 days and was in the bed mostly of course and it almost went away. When I was discharged I had no pain but about 2 days later....it came back only in that foot only but it's just a hair not as bad as it was but still can't walk without a special shoe. That was so devestating to me. I had never even heard of this until I got it. No one talks about it until they get it! And it seems to be fairly common. *sigh* I just keep praying bc God is the real Healer.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your also suffering. I think my best option is to keep trying different things like the shoes. Just not sure what else I can do as the tests haven't shown up anything on my feet. This is the second consultant I have seen and now he is stumped. Also thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

It sounds like yours is much like mine very concentrated to heel...which is true PF. But if your doctor finds that it's truly not PF then be sure and let me know. I'm open to learning any new information. There's so many doctors that diagnose people that have any kind of foot issues as PF when it's really not. However it could be slightly related to the plantar fascia since it is such a long tendon running from the top of the calf all the way under your foot past your arch. Flip flops don't seem to work for me because even though the rubber is soft it still lands at heel flat on the floor. Crocs cup your heel and therefore really takes the pressure off. Try them especially the ones that have some furry insides...I'm willing to bet you find relief. And you can buy the knock off ones that they sell at the cheaper stores as well...just made like Crocs. And don't stop rolling your heel on the frozen water bottle because one day it may work for you as well like it did for me. I'm not sure why it worked immediately like that in my right heel. All I know is that it did. It was gone and has never come back. Let's pray for that!

• Posted

Mines back

Stretching seams to help

Not sure on next approach

• Posted

It's downright horrible, the only thing that gives a little help are shoes by Vionic. I try to rest both me feet, but as soon as I get up the almost dehabilitating pain is there. I just cant sit around all the time. Another thing that helps is taking a bath with epson salts every night, I use ones from the Dead Sea, they pet me right to sleep because I also have restless leg syndrome. But come morning time arrg, sending many prayers heavens way!
  • Posted

Oh boy, I dont know where to begin. I''ve had my heel pain in both feet for over 6 months now and I knwo it's PF because I had it in one of my feet ten years ago when I was doing Tae Kwon Do in my early forties, tjhat episode didn'tlast that long thank God.   This tiith both feet being a very painful inconvenience to say the least. And no pain med can touch the pain, I have resorted epsom salt baths evrynight before bed. I have found the only shoe to protect my arch is Vionic ones, slippers and sandals right now, and I know in the fall I will be buying some for the winter months. I am a very busy women nd I also am my disabled husbands caregiver, so me sitting down all the time isnt going to cut it. I am quite curios how the VA is goi g to handle this. Reading all the posts of years long sufferers is very discouraging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.