operation to fix hernia or not

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a motility test and it was determined that I am a candidate for an operation to fix a heital hernia (spinter etc).but I am unsure about an operation at the age of 65.......and is it bad enough etc. Is anyone else in this situation? I just had surgery to remove a lower lumbar synoval cyct 2 weeks ago. How long should I wait before a surgery. I also havee major depression. I also have benign adenal tumors.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I had a malrotated stomach surgery at 10 days old and almost died.
  • Posted

David

in order to give you a good answer I need some more information. But first your age is not a problem. I had hiatus hernia surgery at age 68 and all went well. My surgery was laparoscopic and two hours long. It was because my whole stomach had pushed through into the chest. I was in a very precarious situation and not having the surgery was not an option. So is your operation like mine. I don't think so but what has your doctor told you? They won't schedule a surgery for you if it is too soon between surgeries. They will ask you those kinds of questions before they schedule it. 

I understand and your fear of surgery since you have had a big scare when you where young but any surgery at such a young age is very dangerous. Talk it all out with your doctor. He has the answers.

judy

• Posted

Judy thanks so very much for responding. I am so concerned mainly because there had to be a reason that my Dad told me  that the Doctors did not repair the hernia area when they did my operation at 10 days old. Is it too risky or what? Am I too old?. My  present surgeon said, "You are not a young puppy any more." This is true at 65, but I am concerbed about  my health on down the road too. .

I can not eat any more without my reflux/Geard giving me fits...coughing etc.

I wonder, of course, about the afer effects of the surgery.

I called  him today and he was elsewhere, but a nurse said that she would let the Doctor know that I am ready to have surgery . and call me Monday,

Thanks agaicryn for responding.

• Posted

Why do you need a hiatus hernia repair? What are your symptoms?

Having acid reflux problems, I was first offered a fundoplication and hiatus hernia repair surgery when I was 47 and turned it down becuase it sounded frightening - then it would have been open surgery.

However, 20 years later I wished I had had it and had to ask for the surgery which I received at age 60. Prior to that I had been anaemic unable to walk more than 50 yards (as a result of the medication I was on).

The operation took just an hour and a half, The only pain I felt post op was a bit of bruising. Withn a few weeks I was cycling every day 20 to 30 miles a day before breakfast. It gave me my life back.

Unfortunately due to norovirus and 5 hours violent retching, the fundoplication wrap came loose and I had a Collis-Nissen revision surgery last year at age 66. A few months later I cycled over the Andes.

• Posted

Well done I am another keen cyclist and it looks like I may have to have an hernia operation so to read that is very heartening. I am 64 so let's get it done and get out on my cycling adventure soon. Just in case you don't know there's a great cycling forum called crazyguyonabike check it out. Kind regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.