Indigestion when Exercising

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with a small Hiatus Hernia in April. At the start of the year I was getting pain in my throat when walking the dog, this progressed to an indigestion feeling, sometimes like a golf ball moving up and down inside my chest. Today it was particularly bad when walking quick so had to slow down, it made me force out a couple of burps, swallowing some air seemed to help though!. A couple of months ago it wasn't really an issue so it can fluctuate. Recently though it's every time I go for a fast walk.

Anyone else get this?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If I were you I would do a food diary . I read in one of my many many books about a yoga instructor who suffered major indigestion and couldn't figure out why as she was so healthy . Turned out she was eating the wrong food just before exercising . Once she stopped or gave herself sufficient time before exercising it went away .
  • Posted

I get the same but usually an hour or so after eating. When I am on holidayand eat a good breakfast( I don't at home)  I never get it. I get burning in that, mouth tongue and it drives me mad. Look up silent reflux.
  • Posted

Mine didn't like when I was singing at choir. So my guess is you're breathing heavier causing the diaphram to move more thus agravating the hernia. Make sure if you eat before walking you wait half to an hour before walking so the stomach isn't too distended.
  • Posted

Mike try getting your partner to burp you next time you have an attack. Are you eating a meal before walking?
    • Posted

Will give the burping a go. Just been for a walk with the dog at a reasonable pace, not as bad. Didn't really experience the heartburn until a little after about 25 minutes, however I had pain in my throat for a good portion of the walk. If I stopped it went immediately, or bizarrely enough when i squezzed my neck! Since the weekend cut out cheese, I had a bit too much a few days ago. Also I had some cabernet sauvignon, no alcohol since, perhaps two culprits. I usually only drink quite flat real ale and that never seems to bother me. I had dinner about 6.30, walk about 9.20, so a reasonable enough gap. Area of the hernia aches a bit now though.
    • Posted

See what happens if you stop all grains and dairy for a couple of weeks. It goes to say no coffee or grog either. This is the only way to determine what is setting you off.
    • Posted

Rarely have dairy so I'm thinking that. Totally caffeine free, just have herbal teas luckily. Grains, only eat brown bread at weekends, had quite a lot of toast on Saturday morning though, so will stick to crumpets! Grog, that will be tough! I'm thinking the red wine is also a culprit, poured a bottle away Sunday night, sigh.
    • Posted

All grains means the whole lot! Crumpets pretty bad news indigestion wise. It truly is worthwhile dropping grains, all dairy, coffee and alcohol for two weeks to see if you feel any better. A good side effect is you will be lighter!
    • Posted

Well after some trial and error I think the worst culprits have been alcohol (mainly cab sav red wine and spirits, luckily real ale is completely fine!), crumpets, onions and cheese. I think the crumpets were a major cause and I was having a lot of them thinking they were a more healthy alternative to bread. Last weekend I was able to go on a couple of good walks with the dog without any heartburn, still some mild discomfort in my throat but it's getting less. 

I've now started trying pasturized greek feta cheese (sheep/goat milk) and rice milk with cereal, no issues with these!

Gave up all caffiene about a year ago, a difficult 2 weeks but don't regret it. Now enjoy trying lots of different herbal teas.

My medication has also changed, from Omeprazole 20mg to Lansoprazole 15mg and Ranitidine 150mg (twice a day). I was still getting a lot of heartburn over a couple of weeks after changing, so the diet was the main culprit. My Doctor wants me back in a month to review the medication and hopefully reduce it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.