Taking Mirtazapine and Escitalopram together

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I have been taking 20 mg Escitalopram for about 18 months. It has been very effective in helping with depression, I cannot dispute that what so ever. Since taking it though, I've a lot of dizziness and even passing out. the trouble is, we don't know if it is a side effect or something else, but lots of hospital tests on heart etc are all OK.

Anyway, I'm now (a few days ago) starting to phase down the dose of Escitalopram and have started taking Mirtazapine. I take 15 mg at night and sleep like a new born - it's amazing.

Does anyone else take this sort of combination?

In the past I tried Sertraline  (could not sleep at all) and Citalopram - no sleep at all and blinding head aches.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I suddenly became ill in March '15 with general anxiety.  Doctors seem to think that cannot happen - but it did with me!   Anyone else? 

I was put on Citalopram.  I could not sleep so I took Zopiclone. I felt terrible in the mornings so changed to Sertraline and Amitriptyline.   Little better.  My GP suggested Mirtazapine but I resisted because of what I had read about its side effects - weight gain and somnolence.  Later I heard of taking Mirtazapine in addition to an SSRI, so asked my GP for that.   I kept on with the Sertraline and added the Mirt.  MIRACLE - right from the first dose (7.5 mg)!  I slept well and felt GOOD for the first time since March.   I think a lot of my problems have been caused by lack of sleep (either due to the anxiety or the SSRI).  The Mirt has let me sleep.   Regarding side effects: The Mirt wants to make me sleep for more than 12 hours, so I have to take it at 8pm, then I can get up (with difficulty) at 8.30am.  I have tried  taking doses between 7.5mg and 15mg, but cannot  improve on that.  I gained 2kg after starting Mirt but that is less than I lost when I got ill.  I have to watch my diet, but no more than before I was ill.  I can live with those side effects.

I am currently on 100mg of Sertraline and I am 80% well;  a little anxious and depressed sometimes.  I may ask for more in the future.  I plan staying on the low dose of Mirt as I am taking it only for its sedative effects (which could decrease if I took more I think).          

• Posted

In my post of 15 minutes ago I forgot to say that a major disadvantage of the Mirtazapine is that I would not trust myself to drive after taking the dose until about 30 minutes after getting up the next day.   
    • Posted

I've been on Remron 30 for 2 years and take now 5mg of lexapro is that took much for night time 

• Posted

Hi there i take 20mg of escitalopram and 45mg of mirtazapine, works great for me thats 7 years now i have been on them both
  • Posted

Hi there uptonogood, I know this post was a few years ago. I just to started escitolophram (lexapro) yesterday. How has your experience been on the two?
    • Posted

Hi, I know this post is old now, but was wondering how you were doing on this combo?

• Posted

Hi. I'm still taking 20 mg Escitalopram and 15 mg Mirtazapine. I take the Escitalopram in the morning and my miracle Mirt at night. I sleep well but am still exhausted. Still have dizziness and fainting that I am convinced is related  to Escitalopram. Have tried to lower that dose but my issues returned. 

• Posted

Hi

I've been on 10 mg Escitalopram for 11 months and seem to have some good followed by crap ones...I can't think straight and get dizzy..it is good for my GAD and anxiety...also my cluastrophobia...I so wish it didn't give me all the other symptoms...my stomach has also started to be really painful and I'm having a gastoscophy but I'm positive it's the meds....I also take 25mg of Valdoxan to try and get some sleep...

I was on Mirt before this because my stomach reacted to the other ADs ..it's been a hell of a 11 month trip..

I've stuck with the Escitalopram because I couldn't face another withdrawal phase but am going to have to bite the bullet and do it I think...goodness knows which one though..

I only take about 7.5mg of the Escitalopram as I cut the end off...if I take a whole one, the symptoms get really bad again..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.