Symptoms of an incisional hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone who has or has had an incisional hernia tell me what thier symptoms were? I was in a severe motorcycle accident 2 years ago, broke all ribs on my left side, punctured a lung and I had internal bleeding for which they cut me from my breast bone to my public bone to find the problem which resulted in removing my spleen. As a result of the  abdominal surgery I have a large incisional hernia. After the accident I was on a ventilator for a few days and i have since remained on supplemental oxygen, 3 liters. I also see pain management because I was also diagnosed with fibromialgia as the result of a trauma. My lower spine has shifted and twisted throwing me out of alignment. So with all that I have going on, I have a considerable amount of pain. I have a hard time differentiating what the hernia symptoms are and what is just body  pain. My stomach usually feels pretty good when I first wake up, but with any food I eat, it will get bloated and very uncomfortable. Sometimes it feels like someone has their hands around my stomach and is literally trying to pull it out. Other times when I walk it's almost like to stand up straight I can feel it pulling and it's so much more comfortable to stoop forward. The doctors told me they can't operate because of my oxygen, that I would end up on a ventilator indefinitately so right now surgery isn't an option. So my question is what types of symptoms have others experienced with an incisional hernia? Mine is just below my breastbone. Is there anything that can relieve the pain of the muscles pulling? Would muscle relaxers work? Any input anyone could offer would be appreciated, thanks! Erika

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angel

I have had an incisional hernia repair, this followed 3 c sections from when I was much younger and a laprotomy to repair a perforated bowel, 2 and a half years agor, caused by adhesions from the c sections.  I am 69 years old and had the hernia repaired a year ago.  I had no symptoms from the hernia, but have had very similar symptoms to the ones you describe following my hernia repair, when I am symptom free. which I sometimes am I feel great, but when I have symptoms which I have today, i.e. bloating, pain and discomfort, I regret having the surgery.  That said we all know that hernias can strangulate.

To relieve bloating and reflux I eat smaller meals, more often, in an effrot to combat acid and I am going to see my doctor today for some advise on what if anything can be done. 

I feel for you and hope that you can get some relief, chronic illness is so hard to deal with and bear.  I sometimes think that doctors are at a loss on how to deal with us, I think they probably prefer to deal with broken legs and things that can be fixed, so I am going to be kind to my doctor today. 

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for your response, mine has not strangulated yet, the doctors said that it goes back in when i lay down so it's not a great threat to me at this point. He did say the discomfort can come from the muscles tearing which is what I feel alot of times on both sides. I will try your suggestion of smaller meals and I already take Protonix for acid refulx. I hope you can find some relief and I agree it seems like we are experiments most of the time when the doctors don't know how to fix us :-) 

Erika

• Posted

Hello  Erica back from doctors armed with Lansoprazole and Colpermin.  This is the first time my doctor has seen my scars, they go from the back of my hip bones horizontally and form underneath my breast bone to meet up with the bottom scar to the top of my pubic bone.  He was visibly shocked when he saw the scar, not surprising.  He asked me all the right questions and did all the checks to make sure that my bowel has not perforated again and that my 72sq inches of mesh is not infected.  He said absolutely nothing to me about my condition, and just gave me indigestion remedies.

I feel that he was at a loss of what to say to me, apart from come back if the condition worsens. Hard as it may seem I feel that given my circumstances there really is not much to be done for me and I will enjoy the good days and get through the difficult ones. Hope this doesnt sound too pessimistic.  Two suggestions do you think physiotherapy might help you,  and have you tried any alternative medicines.  Take care of yourself shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley, What is physiotherapy? I currently take zanadine, a muscle relaxer for back pain but it doesn't work well so I've asked my doctor to switch it to something that will work better.  My hope is that it will help with the "pulling" feelings of my muscles on both sides of my hernia. I haven't tried any other type of alternative medicine, what did you have in mind? And no, you are not being too pessimistic, i have found that I too have good days and bad days, I'm 50 and I often feel much older but it is what it is......and like you I will enjoy the good days. Have a great day and I hope you get some relief with your new meds, Erika
  • Posted

Hello Erika

Physiotherapy is a form of exercise which can be targetted at different muscle groups to help them work better.  I dont know which country you are in but in England we have registered and private physiotherapists, some of whom I am sure will have worked with hernia patients and may be able to help with your condition, best if your doctor could refer you. 

Alternative stuff that I take is mainly vitamins to build me up vit C, vit Dand E a whole range to build up my immune system.  As I have had pneumonia twice since my op, I am also going to be innoculated against flu and pnuemonia as a precaution this year, we can get all of this free on our health service.  Also as I had a dreadful menopause I took herbal remedies such as fennel, to get me through this period in my life, but I continue to take some of them as they have a mild oestrogenic affect which has a beneficial effect on skin, hair nails and overall well being.  It all helps not sure my doctor would approve, but it helps me to feel good about myself, very important to me.  I am not suggesting you take any of this stuff, I just know it works for me, you could research if there are any herbs which alleviate pain, but you do have to be very careful when self medicating as some herbs etc can interfere with medication you take from your doctor.  Web MD is a good site which gives information about what does and does not work with what.  You can also ask your doctor, as most doctors are aware that lots of us self medicate and they have got wise to it and can give advice.  I got advice about what I was taking before my last op, and when to stop and resume some of the vits and herbs I was taking, the medical staff especially the nurses were most helpful.  None of it cures but for me it helps

• Posted

Hi

I really feel for you. You have a lot going on even without the hernia but it does sound like hernia pain. I have a very large incisional hernia in a very bad location(mine is in the left oblique area caused from a kidney surgery) and I have had 2 repairs done on it. I am contemplating a 3rd. Since you still have the muscles surrounding your hernia, I do not, I would try antiinflammatories and ice. Never heat! Remember its not going to fix the problem hopefully just alleviate some of your symptoms. Also try something corset like to wear around your abdomen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.