PBC and Sjogrens

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, do you think that Sjogrens caused my pbc(primary billiary cirrhosis)?  or maybe its just the autoimmune system and I happen to have both? thanks Kandypat

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The two are part and parcel of the same overall auto-immune syndrome. A syndrome is a collection of signs and symptoms rather than a specific disease, which means different individuals will get different subsets of problems. It's also why it can take so long to get a diagnosis for these conditions. It took ten years of seeing my GP, dentist, ophthalmologist, dermatologist and rheumatologist before my GP finally got inspired to to put the lot together and order a (perfectly simple) test for anti-salivary gland antibodies in my blood. To be fair, I hadn't figured out what was wrong with me either and I'm a former nurse (SRN, trained under the old UK system).

I'm afraid you drew one of the shorter straws when it came to which of your systems would be affected. It's my understanding that quite a lot of PBC sufferers also have Sjogren's, but the vast majority of Sjogren's sufferers don't have PBC. I don't know a lot about the specifics of PBC, and don't suffer from it myself. However, I believe there are a number of support groups out there which might point you in some useful directions. And I know there are a couple of others on this forum who suffer from PBC too, so I'm sure they'll be able to give more specific advice.

Best wishes,

Lily

• Posted

Hi yes Sjogren's can cause PBC! I have a young lady in my FB group who has it. Her real problem is she is young, a medical professional herself. Far too young to have Sjogren's, and exceeedly far too young to have the additional problem of PBC. I think you are Lilly are correct that the overlaps of autoimmune diseases know no bounds. I have many in my FB group who like me have EDS various types, Psoriasis and PsA, Hughes, SLE, RA, I think one you have a confermation of one AI disease the others jump on for the ride. If your in the UK your most welcome to join British Sjogren's. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.