Every so often, my eyes will randomly start flashing.

Posted , 3 users are following.

my vision will slowly (about 3-4 seconds) start to pixelate and flash red and yellow. When this happens I get a little dizzy and my eyes feel tingly and fizzy. After about 6-7 seconds it starts to fade back to normal and then it's fine. I've looked this up online and nothing matches it at all. I've started getting used to it and I'm even able to walk down the stairs when it happens. One thing I've noticed is that it happens sometimes several times a day in the winter and it happens when I've been outside and it's really hot and dry. No other symptoms. Only dizziness and the pixely red and yellow flashes. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh and it has the same feeling as when your foot falls asleep. And all I can see are like bright red and yellow light beams shining. It reminds me of ultrasound images, but moving quickly. What's wierd is that I can feel the fallen-asleep-feet feeling all around my eyes and I can also hear this high-ish pitch buzz in my ears. 
    • Posted

Is this followed by a headache or a feeling of nausea?

It could be one of the phases of migraine, when a kind of wheel of flashing light rolls in from one side and breaks up the visual screen, as in my case. I describe it as a kind of Picasso cubist animation... But that's me.

Some people call it an aura of pixellated light.

It's a well known phase of the four (?) phases of migraine which often start with this, move on to a headache of some kind, often unbearable, but in my case light, and/or a feeling of nausea and one or two other symptoms, which some people have all of and others have only part of.

Check it out!

If this doesn't fit, I strongly suggest you see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Flashing lights – exciting as they are when from fireworks – are not so good to have in your head.

Good luck!

• Posted

No, I don't have nausea or headaches with it. It's just like 10 seconds of dizzy red and yellow flashes. 
  • Posted

If you don't have the symptoms described by Light above, it could be something pressing on your optical nerve, so get it checked out ASAP, better to be safe than sorry! It's probably nothing bad though, I get little flashes of light now and again, have done for years, but still, get it looked at.
  • Posted

Yeah it probably isn't much to worry about.  it doesn't hurt and it doesn't really bother me. I wonder if my eyes get irritated by the dryness of the air? Since it happens the most in winter and on dry hot summer days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.