Prostatitis - DRE sample came back positive with enterococcus species

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

Been battling prostatitis issues for about a year now. Have been on multiple medicines but nothing seems to work. Only thing to have worked seem to be Vancomycin. But today was given Levofloxacin for 21 (500mg) for 21 days.

Anybody else have the same problems and assigned the medicine i listed above.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi jha0024

My prostatitis was resolved by taking

Ofloxacin

Cefalexin

Timethoprin

​Urologist told me it often means trying several drugs before suitable one is found.

• Posted

Supercargo,

Thanks for sharing those meds. If i remember correctly Levofloxacin is part of the family of the meds you mentioned above. I hope the Levo i have works.

How long did you take the meds?

• Posted

Hello Supercargo,

Just curious. Where you given 3 different drugs? or is that the same medicine but in 3 different brands?

Also I had to stop theLevo after a week. My right achilles heal starting hurting really bad. Meds started to hurt my Tendons as described as a side affect.

I got an appointment with the Urologist this week.Hope we can decide on a medicine to use that can work.

Thanks

• Posted

I'm not sure what is going on with you, but the prostate is a "fatty" organ. If your problem is there, it takes quite a while for antibiotics to thoroughly penetrate it and clean up an infection.

Neal

• Posted

Neal,

Yes i have read that it is really difficult to penetrate the Prostate.

I was told to ejaculate late to keep fluids moving.

Hopefully while im taking the meds and the blood rushing to the organ the meds work.

• Posted

Can anyone share what your psa was, highest?
    • Posted

Hello jj,

I'm not sure what my PSA level was. But when my results came back my Urologist told me they were normal. But i have no value.

• Posted

Hello All,

Well just had a follow up with my Urologist. I told him the Vancomycin didnt help. I still have lots of issues down below. I stopped taking the Levo because the tendons didnt help. He prescribed Amoxicillin for 14 days and wanst to do a CT scan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.