Congenital heart defects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Want to know what is congenital heart defects.How can it be identified before birth of baby?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Congenital just means that the heart defect is there at birth. There are a lot of different possibilities, some are very minor while some can be major. Why do you think there is a problem?
  • Posted

In many pregnancies these days there is at least one ultrasound to monitor the development of the foetus. It is usually during an ultrasound (a painless scan) that congenital defects are detected/identified. It could also be that the sound of the heartbeat was how this was identified, but if a doctor hears something unusual, I would think that an ultrasound would follow to determine the cause or condition.

Some abnormalities do correct themselves, and can appear worse before the baby is born (my friend's neice was given "Last Rights" at birth, only to find the hole in her heart was not so uncommon and closing over within days of delivery). I pray that all is well with the baby in this post, if there is one with this diagnosis...you weren't very specific. 

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hello, I know that females born with Turner syndrome often have congenital heart defects, so they would be detected by karyotype from amniotic fluid.  Whether any X0 female had congenital heart defects, I supposed would be known only after birth?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.