venlafaxine, best time to take

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all ive been on venlafaxine for mths, started on 75mg then 150mg and since 19th june been on 225mg, before taking ven i had been on citilapram for 2 years, thing is i dont sleep and i take the venlafaxine in the morning with a biscuit about 7am around 10am im tired and irritable but dont go to sleep you would think that by midnight id be ready to sleep not true, i sit on the bed till 3 or 4 in the morning then doze of for 3 or 4 hrs then it starts all over again. What id like to know is does anyone take venlafaxine at night, i thought of doing this and prehaps it would reverse the affects and id be tired at 10pm not 10am, does anyone take at night and do you manage to sleep. thanks :-)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm on 225mg venlafaxine XL and I take 150mg (two 75mg tablets) at night (9.30pm) and 75mg as soon as I wake up in the morning. My psychiatrist suggested it because my depression was worst in the morning so that gave me an extra boost. I do also take mirtazapine (30mg) at night. Is the sleep problem a symptom of your depression? I've not noticed venlafaxine having any effect on my sleep. I take a low dose of a tranquilliser (haloperidol) at night, which helps me to relax and so aids sleep.
    • Posted

my husband takes the quatapine for his sleep which does work its the day when he is lightheaded and cant focus he as had the sleeping one for two weeks but the venlafaxine for 4 weeks
  • Posted

my husband as 75mg in the morning and quatapine at night he was not sleeping at all only one or two hrs now he sleeps 6/7 a night but in the day cannot focus or concentrate and as lost all interest in anything  he says nothing at all interests him do you think this is normal
    • Posted

hi lynn i agree this is not normal and i can understand what you husband is saying i have 3/4 hrs sleep and i dont want to do anything nothing interests me, i used to work 32 hrs a week up till november 2014 come home do a meal washing tidy up walk the dog etc etc, now NOTHING i dont go out of the house, i used to enjoy needlework and making wedding cakes NOW dont have the concentration so yes i understand how your hubby feels, and if hes always been very active its a hard thing to explain .

• Posted

I find venlafaxine to be an energising a/d so I take mine in the morning.

My sleep is messed up too but I take quetiapine at night which helps.

Could your Dr prescribe you a short course of hypnotics (eg. Zopiclone, Zolpidem etc) to help get your sleep pattern back to normal? Mine used to hear and there before I hit the quetiapine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.