Amlodopine bad side effects anyone else have these?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 69 years old and was started on Amlodipine 5 mg a day for slightly high BP. This started me down a long road of declining health. After being on this med for about seven months I developed neuropathy and was referred to a neurologist. I ask him if the neuropathy could be from the Amlodipine. Jo he said and off I went yo a Reumy where Plaquinal was added and a no again it was not the Amlodopine. Then prednisone was added. Two years passed with a slow downward progression of my health. So enough I started weaning off the meds Plaquinal first no change, then the Prednisone no change then the Amlodipine and bam improvement going from not being able to walk to walking, leg and foot pain Lessing, and sleeping much better. The fatigue much better. Be cautious of taking Amlodopine. I feel it is a bad drug for some people.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been taking amlodipine for 4 years now with slight swelling around my feet. I also take metoprolol. Have no seie effects.
    • Posted

hi dalton4355, glad to learn you are not having  any problems on this med. just be aware if you start having symptoms to keep in mind the side effects of Amlodopine.
  • Posted

Hi Carol I was put on these tablets Amlodipine a few months back luckily for only a short time,I've never felt so ill,headaches,joint pain in my knees which hurt to go up and down stairs,hot flushes,tiredness but also insomnia and no appetite,I went back to the Drs after my partner pleading with me and demanded to be taken off of them,I now feel like my old self and all of these symptoms have disappeared I'm on candesartan now and no problems.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for sharing your  experience on Amlodopine.  I am glad you got off it before it took four years of your life. Iam slowly getting better. The neuropathy is bettered is the fatigue, frequent night trips to urinations and dry mouth.  I hope thread helps others learn the dangers of this drug?
  • Posted

Looking at this with trepidation, I have to start this drug in two weeks time, 3 a day for the first week, 2 a day for two weeks, then 1 a day till I go for a cardioversion, now am dreading the drug, not worrying about the procedure, but dreading all the side effects!!!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. Sorry to learn of your problems. Ask your doctor if you could take another drug not Amlodopine.  All meds have side effects,but this one seems to have real problems.
  • Posted

Hello Carol, at the moment I am in Malaysia, my son stays there, my cardiac nurse gave me a prescription, but don't start the meds till I come home then start this cocktail , not given a choice, thus is the one prior to the cardioversion,I am dreading, I have no swelling legs or ankles, so this one is going to be bad for me,will have to wait, if the procedure works, I gues I can put it up for a short time. Thanks for my replies...
    • Posted

hi Kathleen, good luck on your procedure. Let us know how it goes. Try to get your Dr. To take you off the Amlodopine as soon as he/she can.
    • Posted

Hi Carol, back from holiday, now as instructed by cardiologist , I am now day 3 on Amiodopine, 200 mg a day fir I week, then 2 a day for 1week, then 1 a day till I'm told to stop, I hope this is  all worth it, already getting lots of side effects, only about 2/3 hours sleep a night, no appetite  and lethargy. I will try to carry on as instructed, but going to be hard.!!! Thanks for your concern.
    • Posted

Hang in there! When you are reduced to one a day talk your doctor into a different medication. There are others meds that would work as well with out the sideeffects. Good luck!
    • Posted

Back to my follow, I went to get bloods, prior getting Cardioversion , I got a call from to cancel next day, my blood results show low renal funcion.  More bloods! Then I got a call i had to go to hospital, apparently my renal funcion is as low as 29 percent. Bearing in mind, I have never drank or smoked in my life. I am now having to get a biopsy from kidney . Interestingly , they took me off the dreaded Amiodarone !!!! So no Cardioversion and knackered kidneys !!  Don't know what happens now, all these weeks of suffering and losing about 1 and a half stone in weight all for nothing.....
    • Posted

Update.i am still fighting low immune Renal , now I am on steriods , went to the optician, and my eyes are all the over the place, completely from my last test, have to get new glasses, the optition said I should be getting this for free, it was confirmed Amarodion , he can't say if it will revert , always had good eyesight, now I am gutted, but the worrying problem is my CRF. When I was put on thus drug, I should have been monitored with blood tests regular , this is neglect.....
    • Posted

Kathleen63747, sorry you are having such a hard time. We take medication to help us, but sometimes it harms instead. Hope you get better with the prednisone. It helped me. Get well soon
    • Posted

Hi Carol, my consultant is fducing the prednisone , so that's is good news, my Renal is slowly improving, fingers crossed. The strange hing is I was put on Beta blocker slow dose, and since then, no AF, pulse sitting at 55, can't believe it, no frogs in my chest !!!! What a bonus, after all the trauma of the last few months. One thing is sure, I hope nobody else gets this terrible drug. Must I add, me eyes are badly affected as well, deposits in my cornea, this is what Amarodion does.!!!!.
  • Posted

Tnx to this dam (should be recalled By FDA); I now have a pacemaker after non reversible Bradycardia and grossly irregular heartbeat.  I was on for two years with various medical staff saying it was a great drug.  Two years ago I woke up to find my heart was missing several beats.  Emergency visit to cardiologist end up with a 24 hour monitor.   My next appointment, after taking the monitor back for review was followed by an emergency placement of a pacemaker.  It seemed my heart was stopping for up to 8 seconds.  Low and behold, after being pulled from the med the Mayo Clinic site had a full workup on how Amlodipine Calcium Channel Blocker and Beta Blockers destroy the electrical path from the AV (sinus) node to the heart.  Do a search on Amlodipine or Calcium Channel Blockers and Amlodipine and you will want to know why the FDA has not pulled it. Big pharma (pacemaker manuf) are making a fortune selling pacemakers and doctors are making money implanting them.  So much for truth in advertising.  Kind of like believing in numbers pitched by Gov't.  

​ 

• Posted

Sorry to learn you had such a hard time. Yes this is one bad medication and can cause a lot of damage.  Money is alway at the root of it all. We need everyone who has been hurt by this medication to speak up until the FDA listens and pulls Amlodopine from the market. Buyer be ware. Good health to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.