Experiences after 4 weeks bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Could you share your experiences after 4 days of surgery?  I didn't have a cast and the bandage was changed after a week.  I went back to Dr's office the the second week to have removed stiches.  Dr. told me to wash wound everyday and change myself the bandage sad  Fouth week Dr checked my foot.  Although swalloed, he said to start using tenis shoes and start moving my toes (they are frozen with the screws on the toes and he expect me to move my toes and start walking on tenis shoes. 

Please share your experiences.  Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi im just about 3 months post op.and going back to work next week and just barely got back into a gym shoe a few days ago both my feet are still swelling but 2 weeks post op the dr had me grab my big toe by the bace and move it back and forth servel times a day after about a week or so I could wiggle them on my own also massaging your feet with a foot cream will.help with circulation and relieve swelling
  • Posted

I found a pair of open toe sandles Fathead velcro strap on the top and in the back which was very helpful because I could have just them make them tighter or looser if my feet swelled up now I'm back into a pair of Skechers half a size bigger then before my surgery and wider
  • Posted

My foot was swollen and sore up to six weeks after surgery with me being on crutches during that time. I wore a surgical boot even when sleeping with a space between my toes but unfortunately left it in too long leaving a permanent space. My bandages and stitches were removed after two weeks and after that I wore a sock under the surgical boot. You would have to be extremely careful while washing your foot because of tenderness. You're not ready wearing tennis shoes so soon after your operation. NO WAY!!!! That would be the worst thing you could ever do. I bout a pair of sandals with opened at the front of the foot using velcro and a velcro / leather strap around the heel. They were bought from the chemist (pharmacy). They could be worn loosly and tightened over a pair of socks as your foot heeled. Wait a few months before attempting to wear closed in shoes otherwise you may do more damage to your foot. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.  When the dr. told me that I thought he was joking.  He is looking my foot istill with inflamation and he is telling me that.  He also told me to start moving my toes.  They are frozen and I understand he put some screws to make they straight.  One, in the hammer toe, is going to disolve eventually.  Are you going to physical therapy for some exercisess to move your toes?

How much time do you walk every day?  

I will get sandals you mention.  What is the name of the pharmacy?. I live in San Diego CA

Thank you!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.