Is it IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've had a pain in my right side which moves from just right of my belly button and right around to my back. I can sometime feel it in my pelvic area and down my right leg. It's a dull ache that comes and goes but can go on for hours like tooth ache type nagging pain.

This has been going on for over a year and for the past 5 months or so it seemed to have almost disappeared but this week it's back and really getting me down.

I've had two ultrasounds which were clear, blood tests and urine tests. All came back negative/clear.

The doctor seems to think I have IBS. I can't see how it would always cause pain in one side though?

I'm scared it's something more serious and it's stressing me out. I suffer from anxiety so I'm not sure of I'm making the issue worse by worrying.

Has anyone had these symptoms?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my doctor thinks IBS as well...I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a few weeks. Anxiety sure doesn't help...but I know what you are going through...you should ask them to do a colonoscopy...it's really the only thing that will completely ease your mind. My pain is in right side too. 
    • Posted

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

I waiting for a referral, been waiting since March! Not sure what thry will do but hopefully they may suggest that.

It's horrible isn't it. Let me know what they say. Hope it goes well.

• Posted

If it is IBS then any kind of stress or upset will make it worse.

If it was something more serious the doctor would have picked up on that.

It is not as if you have not been to doctor about it.

Try not to worry.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. I am trying not to worry.

I'm going away next weekend and don't really like flying so that's playing on my mind and could have made it worse.

I hope it's just ibs syptoms. Xx

• Posted

I have this on my left side had it 6 years now on and off and docs are stumped just tell me ibs as all tests clear! It's really getting me down I'm sure it's my pancreas but nothing ever flags up
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS in May after three months of tests.  I saw eight doctors but only one recognised my symrtoms.  I had pain all over my stomach, in my ribs and back although I didn't have pelvic pain.  The pain waxes and wanes and moves about.  You can experience pain just about anywhere.  I also had exhaustion, joint pain and nausea.

All my tests were clear but each negative test made me panic more. During that period I had four diiferent types of pain:  dull to deep grinding, stabbing pain and neuralgic, sore to touch pain.  Now I only have dull, mild aching and I don't need as much medication.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I completly agree that negative results make you worry more. I just want to find out what it is.

Weird you should mention joint pain and I also get this when the pain in my stomach flares up. My stomach is also sore to the touch sometimes.

• Posted

hi phillippa, did you get bloating and tight stomach as well?
    • Posted

No, I didn't get bloating, only stomach pain with alternating bouts of constipation and loose stools. Sometimes I felt a twitching sensation as if there was a mouse running about inside my intestine.  My stomach has never been tight.
  • Posted

HI sian, I am interest in your post, I am having very similar problems and also the anxiety. I feel bloated and tight a lot of the time too
    • Posted

Hi keckie, sorry to hear you are having pain. I don't think the anxiety helps. It's hard to work out if what you are feeling is real or if your mind is playing tricks on you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.