Hopefully THR getting nearer..

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've not been posting so much lately.  I've been feeling a bit fed up and envious of all you hippies.  All I was offered was a 'hip class' as my hip wear and tear was only moderate and although I'm in a lot of pain I felt I'd been fobbed off.  Well, I struggled through the 6-week hip class (all post-ops except me) and went in to physio for my review today.  Now I've got an appointment on Thursday with a higher-up physio for a second review, new Xrays and he can refer me to consultant surgeon if he thinks it's appropriate.  Fingers crossed although I must admit that despite wanting (and needing) surgery my heart gave a little blip when told that if I'm referred it should be bout 5 months until mop, eek!

5 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, op - not mop eek
  • Posted

Hi

if you feel you need surgery, you probably do. Especially if you have been reading all the post op posts - you will have a good understanding of what is involved! 

The 5 months seems like a long time but it will allow you time to build up your leg muscles in advance. This is something I didn't do and which I regret post op. 

• Posted

Yes, this forum has made me feel quite positive about it, as did the hip class where all the post-ops were able to do so much more than me.  I suppose my only concern is living on my own, and although friends and family will help out I will have no-one staying with me.  I only have a one-bed flat so no stairs - which is a plus - everything on one level.
    • Posted

I dug out an across the body handbag so that I could carry everything around with me and still use my sticks. Luckily i was able to move hot drinks and food around one step at a time - eg oven to work top, couple of moves along the work top, onto the dining room table etc. Filled a sports bottle up with water/cold drink soI could carry it in my bag around with me.
    • Posted

What a good idea.  I'm open-plan so kitchen to dining table is just a few stapes.
  • Posted

I was due THR on 15th Sept, but due to being dignosed with DVT two weeks ago, my hip op is now on hold. Know how you feel - when you want to get ahead with the op but circumstances mean a long wait.
    • Posted

So sorry about the DVT.  Any idea how long you will have to wait?   I would love to get it all over and done with in the dark winter months so that I'm out and about when Spring comes.

Good luck x

• Posted

I return to DVT clinic tomorrow to check INR, Surgeon for THR will not accept me till they stabilise me, or try an alternative to Warfarin.

Waiting in Wales about a month for pre op, then about 8 weeks for THR op.

• Posted

Hi CelsB

Told in DVT clinic today that I will have to be on Warfarin for 3 more months before being considered for THR, so we may in a similar time frame for the op.

• Posted

dear celsb,

Hip class sounds great, except that there is a difference, I think, between post-op and pre-op hippies ... maybe I am wrong - of course it is painful - 

So, actually a/your PT will refer you to a surgeon? if he thinks it is appropriate?

Interesting - it was my GP who referred me to ortho surgeon after x-ray ... I mean, I have nothing against physical therapist, just think that a MD would be the one to refer you - 

Thinking of you and in the meantime,

love, light and healing

renee

• Posted

Thank Renee.  I was told by my GP that the NHS (round here anyway) works through a tick list.  GP - Physio - Consultant.  After seeing my physio today he said I had the choice of going back to my GP for a referral or going to see this other physio (who apparently works with the consultant and can both order Xrays and referrals) and was told that I could see him as early as this afternoon (not possible for me as I was having the grandchildren) or on Thursday.  Knowing that this would be quicker than my GP, and also knowing I could have further Xrays the same day (same building) I opted to go directly to this new physio.  

My first batch of Xrays came back moderate wear and tear and that was about 18 months ago.  When I went back to my GP a few months ago I was hoping she would either refer me or send me for new Xrays but instead she referred me to physio, saying that if she referred me to the consultant he would only send me to physio first anyway.  

Anyway, I'm rambling.  I'll let you know what happens smile

• Posted

Goodness ... I know about the tick list too - just don't remember PT being involved - 

X ray in October 2014 showed bone-on-bone of right hip and mild OA in left hip-

RTHR on March 16 2015 (my doing as I was in denial and scared)- 

May 2015 I had follow up visit with surgeon and left hip's cartilage was almost down to bone -on-bone --- I was shocked that it could go so fast .. 

Good luck darling -- 

love

renee

• Posted

The waiting time is the worst. Here it is 12 to 18 months for surgery. 2 years ago I ASKED TO BE REFERRED KNOWING THE WAITING TIME BUT NO CAN DO. soory bout caps . Forgot to take caps lock off.

When things got really bad for me I was told still 12 to 18 months so spent my retirement fund and went privately. Being retired was no use to me without my mobility. 8 weeks post op today and not regretting it. I hope you get something shortly.

• Posted

I think it's shorter than that here.  The physio hinted at around Christmas if the consultant agrees I need a THR.  Things used to be worse and my mum ended up going privately but I really couldn't afford that.  It's one of those situation where you actually want the result of your Xrays to be bad.  Ridiculolus isn't it?
  • Posted

Hello CelsB, it seems we are all mostly victim to this ridiculous NHS system. My saga started in June 14 with a 9 month struggle to even get a diagnosis. Like you I was triaged by a 'super physio' who couldn't see anything wrong. I was gobbling painkillers, unable to work and more miserable than I cared to admit. In March 15 I was told I had moderate wear and tear and passed onto another consultant because I had too much pain. By the time I saw the next consultant I could barely walk. Although apparently I only had moderate wear and tear he said people feel pain differently and I could book myself in for surgery. I swung from feeling desperate to feeling like a fraud. I emailed his secretary and begged for a cancellation.

On 30th June 15 I had my first THR. On seeing the consultant after he said that he hadn't seen such a mess for quite a while. My femur had burrowed itself into my groin, he had to carve out a new socket for the new head. He muttered something, it could have been an apology but I doubt it.

Why am I telling you all this?

You are not alone. The road is long but worth it in the end but you need to fight to get there. I saw my consultant last week and he told me the second one needs doing - perhaps i could come back in a year (What???). I said I wasn't going through all that again and can i please have it done asap. I am now being booked in for after Christmas and am looking forward to it.

Keep going Cels, make some noise, you know how it feels and they don't always get it right.

• Posted

Thank you Kate.  I think I'm a bit like you.  There are days when I think that maybe I can go on without an op, and days when the pain is unbearable and the slightest movement brings me out in a sweat and almost makes me shoot through the ceiling.  

I have always felt that I'm quite good with pain.  I put off a hysterectomy for ages until you could see the mass of fibroids sticking up when I was lying down.  I also refused to go to the GP with stomach pain - turned out I had diverticular disease. I'm a bit scared of operations and as I live on my own I'm worried about how I'll cope afterwards.

I'm going to see this through though, and fight for it if I have to.  I am feeling pain in my left hip also and think that all the limping and taking weight on my left leg might make my left hip deteriorate and I want to avoid that if I can.  I hope to find out more tomorrow when I see the 'super physio' (love that description) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.