Limitations

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am trying to decide whether or not to get a total hip. My concerns are the limitaions I will have after surgery. I'm hoping to get the anterior procedure. I. Understand the retrictions right after surgery. What I want to know is what about 6 mths, a year afterwards. Can I never bend over, can I never cross my legs, can I never curl up on the couch with my feet under me. What about yoga? I'm ok not being able to do these things, I just need to know if they are life long don'ts. Thanks

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had 2 one 15 years ago and the other 4 months - I certainly curled up, crossed legs (I haven't sat on the floor crossed legs as my rotation is poor due to congenital dislocation at birth and odd pelvis), bent over, squatted and  dug the garden, gone swimming after my first for example. Now I am sitting here typing with my legs crossed at the ankles. I have done a little digging and bent down to paint fences.

Things I haven't done not because I can't is run - as I had my first done quite young I didn't want to wear it out so I am cautious about impact activities so digging is the hardest impact I have done. I've never done yoga so can't comment on that.

• Posted

Thanks so much for response. What type of procedure did you have done. Anterior or posterior?

I need to get over the fear of dislocation.the first doctor I went to was so negative and made me so fearful. I'm waiting for a second opinion. Maybe he'll be a little bit more optimistic.

• Posted

Mine were both anterior an incision about 4" on the side. People are given slightly different advice on what to do after the op but everyone's  hips are different and the surgery can be different. I think if you follow what the surgeon says you shouldn't have a dislocation and definitely do the exercises as they are what strengthen the muscles to keep the joint in place.

I healed more quickly for my first at age 47. It's been a bit slower at 62 but think I'm progressing well.

The change in life is great!

• Posted

carla how old ar eu 37year old first thr now i am doing the second one, posteriro approach after 6 weeks, i can do everithing like bend, twist, run, jump everithign

• Posted

53, good to hear You doing so well. I am so nervous I'll dislocate. So if I can hear some real life experiences, it might help.
    • Posted

hi carla my husband got his new hip and is so much better after it before he was imping badly and couldnot tie his laces and struggled to bend down he was 56 he can tie his laces and put his socks on easily has no pain was back driving after 4 wks he had asked about dislocating it and was told nowadays that is very rare with the hips that are put in now .he is now 2yrs down the road and doing great .   a few months ago he decided to clear out under the stairs our daughter has left to live in uk and her old college books and art books were in boxes under the stairs they were very big boxes full to the brim with stuff he being a man lifted the boxes out of under the stairs 4 boxes to be exact i nearly fainted when i saw him so stupid .for a week after he was in alot of pain i was so worried about him ,i myself was recovering afer a revision knee replacement  so i had good pain meds and anti inflamoratry meds so i made sure he used them while not letting him do anything strenuous he was fine and the pain settled  he learned his lesson
    • Posted

I'm sure after a few years its easy to forget you had surgery. Hope he didn't over do it.
    • Posted

no he is fine  thank god  he now knows his limitations  !!!!! he is carefull since then ,
  • Posted

A hip replacement stops the pain due to the bone on bone grating when we move preop.

My op was 10 April, and already I have far more movement than in the weeks before the op. I can cross my ankles, bend over and touch my toes, walk tall, walk without pain. I do thi chi rather than yoga and have yet to try swimming. My husband has his replacement 5 years ago, crosses his legs, and is reasonably agile. My feeling is that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. 

I am told that dislocation is less than 2%, and that there are a few twisting moves, that need to be avoided, that would tend to precipitate it.

• Posted

Hi Carla,

I had LTHR in February and RTHR today and am sat replying to you fro my hospital bed. I think things like sitting cross legged and curled up etc should be ok after a good long while after the op. I never was one for crossing me legs or sitting cross legged and as others have said, I would avoid high impact activities that could wear it down prematurely. The actual risk of dislocation is something like 2% which as long as you follow guidelines, really shouldn't happen. You would have to be a bit disrespectful of the parts and procedure of what your body has just endured and I'm sure you wouldn't do that. The risk is neglible and is far far outweighed by the benefits.

Good luck with the decision making, it needs to be something that feels right for you, not right for the people around you.

Take care.

Ali x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response.

I am the type of person who likes to know ahead of time. If I know what to expect then I'm prepared. I am at the point where I want to go ahead with surgery. Just want to go into it knowing what to expect.

Gosh, I can't believe you just had surgery. Did you have anterior or posterior?

Hope your healing goes well.

• Posted

I had the posterior approach. The anterior one seems to be more a U.S. Thing than the UK. I had a smashing recovery last time, far better and faster than I could ever have imagined. Forewarned is forearmed so they say so I joined here just a short time ahead of op number 1 in order to get as much info as I could from experienced hippies who'd already been through it and their help and support was invaluable.

Stick around a bit and keep asking questions and you will go into the op as pretty much and expert in this field lol.

Good luck.

Ali x

• Posted

Too funny, I'm so grateful for the internet, I've learned so much. But it's nice to actually get an account from someone who has been through it. My first ortho Dr. Was so condescending and made me feel bad for asking questions. That's why I'm getting a second opinion. I'm hoping for the anterior procedure as the recovery should be easier. One can only hope for a easy recovery after surgery.

• Posted

I'm curious, Carla, are you in U.S. Or Europe? I'm surprise to hear a dr. Condescending to you. I'm in U.S. And will be getting anterior by dr. Choice
    • Posted

I'm in US. I think its because he doesn't do it himself. So he got really arrogant and said "Let me guess, you read that on the internet, well did you read more than 1 article" I said yes, I read 3. He just wasn't the surgeon for me. I have a second opinion with one who prefers doing anterior.

Did you have anterior?

• Posted

Sorry, just saw that you are rescheduled for anterior.
    • Posted

I just had the cortisone shot last week. My insurance says do least invasive first (Medicare). My osteo surgeon controlled it ( the injection) .

Next step is surgery, but like you, I'm scared and holding out for awhile anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.