Confused again or still

Posted , 7 users are following.

will Predinsone get rid of pain from fibromyalgia?  The rheum. Wants me off predinsone. However, I was down to 2 mg for 7 days and then I crashed:  pain, hips, shoulders,neck and extreme fatigue.  I went back to 4 mg... Pain gone fatigue less but never totally gone.  

I feel the rheum, believes I have fibro and not PMR..  He suggested cymbalta... I don't want another drug...

thoughts???

thanks, judy

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No - pred does nothing for fibromyalgia pain. Nefret on this forum has both fibro and PMR and says the pains are different (for her at least) and pred does something for the PMR but not the fibro pain.

Why is he so desperate to get you off pred if you are OK at 4mg? It is a low dose with next to no side-effects. If that keeps you mobile and the symptoms return after a week at 2mg that would be enough for me to say that'll do - it isn't going to kill you and if it does the job what's wrong with that?

Find another rheumy if your GP won't manage you at this level of pred.

• Posted

If the 4mg has improved the pain it will not be fybromyalgia. I think someone must have hypnotised all these rheumies into hating pred, rather like Brave New World and the gammas hating roses! 
    • Posted

No, they are not hypnotised, they are taught in med school that pred is the most powerful medicine we have and it is best that they do not give it in large doses and not for more than two weeks.

This bit sticks in their heads, then people come along who need long term steroids and conflict begins in their brains.

ie long term,  stacks of side effects - must get them down asap.

That is why we educate our GPs and tell them not to be afraid.

Also most practices will never come across a GCA person and with PMR they may have 4 or 5.

As both are on the rise and we are educating them, it will get better hopefully.

• Posted

Thank you all very much for the responses.  I restarted Monday on 4mg and I'll stay with the 4 for awhile.  I was doing fairly well on 4 when he told me to reduce.  Do these guys think we enjoy being sick, fatigued and painful ??? !!!   

Again, thanks, all the best to all.

judy

• Posted

Yes, as Eileen has said I have a diagnosis of both PMR and Fibromyalgia, and for me Pred does absolutely nothing for the Fibro.  We moved house down here to the south coast, I needed another Rheumy as I couldn't understand why I was in such devastating pain - pain which was not like the PMR muscle pain - he looked at me on my first appointment and asked me if anyone had suggested Fibro which was a light bulb question for me, as I realized that I had most of the classic symptoms.

I also have peripheral neuropathy and the Fibro pain does get mixed with that sometimes, but for me it is a completely different pain to the PMR pain.   I don't get any stiffness either (apart from that caused by anno domini).

I am now on a maintenance dose of 5mg Pred for life and I'm not bothered in the least by that  I also take amitriptyline which copes very well with both the nerve pain and the Fibro.  I am also on a low dose of Gabapentin - this does work for me, but if I go any higher, I tend to sleep 24/7 - which ruins my social life! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.