Tramadol, Paracetamol and Amitriptyline all prescribed to take together?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I am new to all this so please excuse me if I make mistakes.

I was initially prescribed Tramadol last November for back pain and my shoulder, this was increased to 50mg at night only, then increased to 50mg at night and 50mg in the morning. Amitriptyline was introduced at night, so I take 20mg of them as well, to aid nerve pain, not depression.

However, my back pain became worse and the Tramadol was increased again to 100mg SR at night and mornings. This I was fine with until recently.

My doctor did not want to increase the tramadol further because it can cause seizures, which are currently not controlled.

I seen my doctor 2 days ago, and he said we cannot higher the tramadol, but we can wean you on to codeine, and promptly sent the prescription to my pharmacy.

I have looked at a few drug sites and all stating the same that codiene are dangerous with Tramadol to people with epilepsy. I am not sure what to do now, as my doctor said to start taking them, because there is no alternatives in my case.

Can anyone tell me if there is a alternative to codiene (it is not for pain relief) it is to stop diarrhea, which Lomperamide no longer works with me?

I have not taken any yet just in case of health problems.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

First off, you should not be taking Tramadol if you have Epilepsy. It's dangerous. Tramadol lowers the threshold for seizures an is contraindicated for Epilepsy patients. That's scary your Dr prescribed that to you. Tylenol with Codeine or Tylenol#4 is probably ok but watch your intake of Acetaminaphine it causes or can cause liver issues. I think you should get a new DR! An if you do have Epilepsy why are you not seeing a Neurologist? My niece has Epilepsy since 16 yrs old an see's one an takes an anti-seizure med called Salontin(not sure on spelling). I took Tramadol for yrs and got to where I was taking to much. I had a seizure(I don't have epilepsy)an taken to ER by ambulance(in U.S.)I had fallen straight into my parents t.v. cabinet and hit my head on the corner. I had to have a C.T scan for possible bleeding on brain. All came back ok thankgoodness.An withdrawls fr Tramadol are torture. Goodluck an you might want to seriously see a new DR.

God bless,

• Posted

The only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, is scopolamine (hyoscine in the UK). But you have to be careful of the side effects of that stuff.

Codiene is certainly an option, but I would not stop my seach there.

I'll try to remember to reasearch this later, and follow up.

• Posted

I took all three for 4 years. I don,t have epilepsy. I have just completed 8mnth detox from tramadol..and now have Fentanyl patches for pain which I have only been on for 3 weeks. Amitriptyline one 20mg at night for nerve pain. Diazepam to be taken at night. I no longer take the paracetamol and that was the first drug to drop from the list of drugs being prescribed.....So im sorry all I can say is they were ok for me but then Im not epileptic...jx
    • Posted

Hi Jayne . Im sort of new here . I dont really know anyone. I read you took tramadol. And now your taking Amitriptyline and have the Fentanyl patches. I also have bad nerve pain. I was dx with small fiber neuropathy 4 yrs ago. sad   What kind of nerve pain do you get? I'm having a hard time finding pain relief. I'm stuck on 300mgs Lyrica , which doesnt help. I take Tramadol as needed. I dont go past 75mgs at a time,,no help, I stop there bc im afraid of gettn addicted. My question is do the fentanyl patches help? My PM Doc is very strict about giving "narcotics"..Are you getting SE's from the patches. They scare me (I have low BP too). Does the 20mg of Amitriptyline at night help you with daytime nerve pain. I cant seem to find a "med-combo" ..My Doctors are giving up on me and bouncing me back and forth (PainM & Neurologist). I dont know what else to do.My pain is so bad. I didnt mean to highjack Steven's thread. I wanted to reply to you..

Thanks...

• Posted

Look into gabapentin. I think it an overprescribed drug, but it just might be indicated here.
    • Posted

Hi Marie yes I took tramadol for 4 years and unfortunately became addicted to them..I have just about finished detox from the trams..I can honestly say amitryptaline is the only drug that helps me with the nerve pain and I have only been taking that a few weeks, it has been a god send. Gabapentin pregabalin all did not suit I think one of those is generic for lyrica. I have had 2 friends that struggled with lyrica causing massive weight gain which ob won,t help with mobility. My detox doc said that there is a drug for nerve pain called Duloxetine but im happy with the amitryptaline...Only been on fentanyl for 3 weeks I am now getting breakthrough pain just awaiting for the increase on the patches. My nerve pain comes from multiple disk prolapses and my L5 nerve is impinged causing the nerve pain that runs from lower back outer thigh down the front of the leg to my toes..If you have a look at L5 dermatomes it will show you exactly the parts that are affected by the impingement. You are wise to be wary of the tramadol I was taking anywhere between 20-30 a day unbelievable now im nearly off them. It is still early days regarding my drug combo and they say sometimes it takes quite a while to get the right combo that suits you..Yes the amitryptyline helps massively with the nerve pain through the day. At the moment the combo of fentanyl amitryptaline oh and by the way I take one 5m diazepam at night to help with the leg pain. I hope that you do find a combo that works I definately would consider getting rid of the lyrica in exchange for amitrypaline ..excuse the spelling just in a bit of a hurry as I have detox clinic soon ..chat later if that helps jx

• Posted

Hi bird, Everytime I mention gabapentin to my PM Doc , hes says Im on Lyrica and that it works better , with less SE's that gaba..sigh..Two years ago I did try gabapentin before the lyrica. It gave me some palpations, and triggered anxiety attacks. My anxiety is under control now. I'm willing to give gaba another try since lyrica is not doing anything!! I would have to slowly wean off of Lyrica, and then start gaba. I dont think I have the "energy" to do that now. I hear Lyrica is very difficult to come off of..ugh
    • Posted

Hi Jayne Ty for your response. I know my PM Doc would never agree to the fen Patch for me. (frankly I'm afraid to take it, I'm VERY sensitive to most meds, ecs opiods, plus I have low BP 85/55) He will only give me tramadol. Funny how Doctors are so quick to prescribe Tram, meanwhle it's just as addicting and the WD is horrendous..I dont get it. Are Doctors really that ignorant? I tried Amytriptyline , It helped for sleeping. But only 10 mgs gave me tight chest pain and some early morning skipped heart beats. Doc told me to stop it. I am so disappointed, I was hoping to get to 20 mgs for pain.  Do you get any SE's from Amyt? I also tried the med you mentioned Duloxetine , that is the generic for Cymbalta. I got so sick on that. So that med is out too. I'm running out of options, and stuck on Pregabalin , yes that is the generic for lyrica. Any further thoughts or suggestions would be apprecisted..Thanks!!
    • Posted

Hi marie33 there are other pain patches infact quite a variety theres the butrans...transtec...most morphine based but 24/7 so no rise and falls..I was given fentanyl one of the stronger ones as I had become tolerant to the tramadol which they now are beginning to realise the addictive properties in it...check out some pain patches with your G.P. I like you was terrified at being given fentanyl as I knew this one is quite potent...but again because of the massive tram abuse this was considered the best...Sorry Steven for overrunning your thread..Just yell if u want marie33 and myself to start our own....we have kinda swamped you....jx
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

My name is Carla and I have researching pain medication for my husband Paul who was diagnosed with a sensitive neuropathy of the small fiber. He takes Neurotin 600mg every 6 hours, amitriptyline at night and clonazepam. He has tried the tramadol but does nothing with the pain. I wanted to know if you have found some medication that actually helps. Thank you!

• Posted

Sorry it took me so long to get back here.

Have your gallbladder checked, and ask your doctor about cholestyramine.

• Posted

Steven,why haven't we heard from you? We have responded but you haven't answered back. Are you there?
  • Posted

Look into gabapentin. I think it an overprescribed drug, but it just might be indicated here.
    • Posted

Sorry, was trying to reply to marie33. (*#!& touchpad!!)
  • Posted

Maybe the reaso. That the Tramadol does not work anymore is that you have reached tolerance and the only way for it to work it to increase dosage, what I would not advise, like your doctor said! 

I really don't think Do tors know the out come of prescribing these cocktail of drugs and what longterm damage they can do. The only thing I would suggest is to wean off all these perscription drugs and research to find alternative meds as the use of prescribed drugs do not work long term and, in my opinion, mess up your body and brain to where the complaint only gets worst. This is my personal opinion. Sorry, I know this is not much help but I hate the damage Tramadol has done to me personally :-( 

• Posted

Hi Ruth I agree with you. I'm stuck on 300 mgs of Lyrica/Pregabalin. It messes with my head. I believe my body has reached a tolerance level or dosage and is not helping at all. I hear the WD for lyrica is BAD too! My nerve pain is so bad, I can not wean off of Lyrica or tram unless I have another medication im taking to take the place of lyrica. Tramadol I use as needed which is almost everyday. I try real hard to space tram as much as I can so an addiction doesn't happen...I'll endure the pain just not to take them..Its so wrong. I should not have to suffer like this in a "world" where there are so many meds for pain..sad
    • Posted

My heart goes out to you! Is there any alternative meds that you could take instead of Phama drugs, maybe you could see an alternative therapist who deals in natural medication. They could maybe put you on something natural that will help the area of pain. 

My pain felt worst after taking Tramadol for 5 years, I was tolerant by then and upped the dose for the next 2 years!

This sounds crazy, but I can "feel" my brain healing during my taper that I'm doing, even though I ache and feel "flu like" I know I'm gonna feel better after this drug leaves the body, even if it takes up to 2 years! 

I really hope you find some relief what ever you do. Our bodies can self heal, if we let them! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.