What Colonoscopy Prep to have?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello !

I went to see a private Doctor at hospital and I was advised to have a colonoscopy!.... but we have to have these things!. Not worried about having the colonoscopy....it's just the prep!.

He has given me (2) Moviprep and as I'm having the Colonoscopy done by NHS, they have given me (2) Citramag and (10) Senna tablets.

I suffer really bad with IBS and I'm worried that the Senna tablets will kill me and I'm gonna die in pain!. I've already had to cancel and I dont want to cancel again.

Hoping someone out there can advise.

Thank you! smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I just had my colonoscopy done on monday ..I also had 8 senna tablets to take and movi prep...I went on low residue diet 4 days before and i never took the 8 senna tablets just took one movi prep at one in the afternoon and the next one at 6pm i was clear and the job was done ...I didnt feel comfortable with the idea of takeing the tablets...what i did worked really well for me but the residue diet really helped me.....I wish you all the best.....
  • Posted

Hi Ruby

The best thing for you to do is ring the NHS and tell them what meds your doctor has given you and about your concerns re your IBS and ask them which meds you should take theirs or his (they may not realise he has also given you bowel prep,  I am sure they will be able to put your mind at rest 

Good luck smile 

• Posted

I had private Under the NHS (as that was the only appointment they could get me within a month and needed it urgently)

Had Moviprep - no problem with it

Just remember to have light meals for 3/4 days before - Clear soups / fish etc

Ops luck

• Posted

Hi Ruby.  I doubt Senna will kill you. I had to take it as part of the prep for my colonoscopy and it had absolutely no effect, but then I don't suffer from IBS. The Citramag soon worked though and I had chronic diarrhea which is the idea but no other side effects or pain. It's not unpleasant to drink either, like a hot lemon drink, really.

If you are worried about taking Senna, how about buying a packet of prunes? They are nice to eat anyway. They contain sorbitol, a natural, mild laxative which loosens your stools and really clears you out, giving the Citramag the chance to finish the job. It seems some IBS sufferers with constipation generally cope well with prunes. But they can give you bloating if you eat too many so you need to be careful in that respect. Drink plenty of water after eating them. Also I'd eat them no later than 48 hours before the procedure switching to clear liquid foods as recommended afterwards.

Good luck with the colonoscopy.

• Posted

I felt the same as you since taking a commercial laxative had always caused me cramping pain but there is nothing to worry about with these although it does seem a lot. Yes you will be running to the loo a lot but no more than if you've had a bad experience in Mexico! better as others say to have a very light diet a couple of days before.People are paying hundreds for colonic irrigation and this will leave you feeling the same ! 

However, this really is the easy part. Please have every help you can with the procedure. It is not pleasant and I hope you will take all the sedation offered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.