Hyperthyroidism, medication and cysts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello peeps. 

I've recently thought I might be diabetic due to having symptoms such as tiredness, having to urinate during the night, weight loss and constant illness. I had a fasting blood test which showed that my blood sugar level was a little higher then average. I then went to my doctors and explained my diabetes results to him and he made me take another blood fasting test. He also tested my blood for other irregularities.

When my blood test came back I was told that I had an over active thyroid. I was not offered any medication, I was just told to keep coming back every 6 months for blood tests to keep an eye on it. When I asked if there was anything to stop me feeling tired all the time he said no. He then made an appointment with the local hospital for me to have a scan on my thyroid as he said that sometimes a hyperthyroid is caused by nodules on the thyroid. When I had my scan I was told that I had a cyst on my thyroid but that it doesn’t effect the way my thyroid functions. 

I have two questions to ask. 1. Why wasn’t I given any medication? and 2. Can a thyroid cyst change the way your thyroid functions?

Any help or advice out there would be great. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Always ask for a copy of your lab tests and keep your own file on them.  They usually call them "nodules" on the thyroid.  They most likely are benign but occasionally can be malignant.  They definitely can affect your thyroid if they grow very large and some people have hyperthyroidism due to nodules.  Others have it due to a viral illness that is temporarly and passes and others have hyperthyroidism due to autoimmune diseases such as Graves Disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  The doctor might have thought your lab tests were not too far out of the normal range and is adopting a "wait and see" attitude.  Definitely you will need to be followed up and if you have symptoms that are disturbing like palpitations go sooner, even go to the Emergency Department.
  • Posted

I'm surprised that he suggest anything further after discover your cysts. Chances are they are benign but it seems like a good idea to get a biopsy to make sure.
    • Posted

*that he didn't suggest
  • Posted

Hi megan - I'd totally recommend you get some good quality mineral support and check you're eating healthily.  Id recommend magnesium supplements for tiredness and eating plenty of greens and/or veg juice and cut down on sugars, especially avoid 'diet' drinks and 'no added sugar' drinks as aspartame and other chemical sugar substitutes will possibly further compromise your immune system.   Look at ways to  boost it instead, vit D, Vit C and plenty of sunshine and fresh air with a walk somewhere every day.    It sounds so simple but it all really helps a great deal.  Also look at yoga / meditation perhaps when you are feeling a little better and try and de-stress your life.   Whatever is benign can go away when it is starved of what it has been taking from you.  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.