Any post op hippy gardeners out there

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I do not know what I dread more after my thr in three weeks the pain or missing being in my garden and veg patch, i so enjoy gardening to take my mind off life's problems and enjoying the fresh air and wildlife. Can anyone tell me how they progressed with the recovery and returned to the garden, maybe any advise or tips.

Regards Phil

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Philip I would leave it for a few more weeks yet, before kneeling down, but there is a nice gadget in the Indepenance Living Magasine, for about £25 is is a kneeling padded platform with handles to support yourself as youi push off your knees and push yourself up, look it up online, bought one for my aging mum and she loves it uses it all the time. I will message you the link. So you can see yourself.  Best of luck  Ian.
    • Posted

Hi Ian just read your post to Philip, I'm thinking something like that would help me with painting skirting boards would you be kind enough to send me that link. Many thanks Chris
  • Posted

Sent the links to your Message Box, hope you find it useful  Ian.
  • Posted

dear philip ...

awwww ... don't worry so much - first get the surgery done - you will find that the pain (yes, there is some) is more soreness and discomfort than OA pain you have right now - 

there are many gardeners here on this forum and they can give you their personal experiences and tips -

no reason to not enjoy your garden, nature, fresh air and wildlige post - op ...

seriously ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Philip, I love gardening and am back to it with a few modifications. I can't kneel not because of the hip but invested in different length long handles with interchangeable tools - fantastic - a well known brand I'm probably not supposed to say. I also have a strong folding stool with a high and very low level. So far I have been able to do every low level thing using these - weeding, planting small plants, setting seeds etc.

After my hip op when I could walk with one crutch I did some gentle pruning and a few minutes of gentle hoeing - being careful not to twist - not a lot of that as it is very difficult to do without twisting. I planted out my runner beans in the early weeks too sitting on the stool and using my mid length handle trowel and not breaking the 90 degree rule.

Now I am 4 months. I am painting fences, climbing ladders, lots of hoeing and even a bit of digging. I've got a bad back as well so if you haven't that you will probably be able to do more digging than me!

What I did need help with is the lawn as you are not allowed to mow like hoovering for weeks I think I waited for 8 or 9. A friend came and scalped it a couple of times for me. If no one was available I would have paid someone just to cut the lawn. Digging up potatoes is hard. I could  do it slowly but have had help but that is more because of my back again which I injured at Christmas - even that is getting better.

The best thing is to do little and often. Good luck!

• Posted

Hey Phil,

Welcome to hippyland!

Yes, as others say (we often do not agree tho'!) take it slow, and yes your focus on your amazing new hip and recovery, doing the exercises, and chatting on this forum.

Take a garden chair and watch the bees and butterflies, smell the jasmine too.

Kneeling for me came at about 2 months, and being easily able to rise unaided from ground at 5 months....but as Renee says we are all different. I can now bend low to get a dandelion up at exactly 6 months for about 10 seconds, but cannot crouch yet - which Kate can!

Keep walking pre and op op as much as possible, with rests, walk round and plan next years' garden design!

Warmly

Mic

• Posted

The folding stool I mentioned - metal frame, rubbery pad seat the upside down low level serves as a kneeler if you can kneel or I have sat on it to get really low and used the metal legs to help me up. Probably it's a similar thing to what ian mentions. mine is like the folding garden kneelers on amazon £11.65/11.75.
  • Posted

I have just started to do some gardening  ( I am on week 12) and I have been using this kneeler/seater:

They sell it in the Argos catalogue and garden centres.

• Posted

Hi Phil,

My mother loves her garden. She has had both hips replaced and 18 months ago needed a right total hip/femur/knee replacement. She is back gardening including mowing the lawn. Thanks goodness because it's her hobby and like you describe she simply loves it.

it won't stop you!

🌳🌹🍀🌱

• Posted

Hi Georgie

and, have you inherited your mum's gardening genes, or jeans? Mic x

• Posted

ha ha Mic......just the genetic arthritis genes unfortunately and of course the good looking ones!!! I love gardens but not much of a gardener 😜
    • Posted

Hello awesomely stunning good looking gardener!

Hope you can get out and potter this weekend my chrysanthemums and dahlias doing well...and plan to buy bulbs and blue poppies early October.

Hugs from rainy devon

Mic

Xx

• Posted

Hi Philip, yes you can!!! garden again.  My garden was looking pretty pitiful before my hip replacement, I couldn't even pull out a weed much less plant a flower.  This is my garden this year, 3 months after my hip replacement. I think it look's pretty again.
    • Posted

Hi susan,

Yours looks like mine with slightly raised bricked beds. Photo hopefully enclosed!

Mic

x

• Posted

Grrrrr....photo not loading...keeps saying 'errir'

Mic.x

• Posted

That looks lovely! Very floriferous. Mine's nowhere near as pretty though I have had some lovely organic veg from it! I also grew cordon sweetpeas for the first time in honour of my dad who died last year and who won prizes for his. I have managed to have cut flowers from them in the house throughout the summer and some sizeable blooms but will have to do better to do as well as dad did!
    • Posted

Hi Susan , more than anything that has really cheered me up, I have such an awful day spent in the garden, even the very basic jobs have been so difficult, I usually relish this period in the garden as summer gives way to Autumn with that freshness in the air, thanks again

Phil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.