Major Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have to fight depression in my life maily by .........my meds of course.......but also through joking around,play on words and too much interdialouge. I wish I could stop and be more "Realistic" but if I do I get really depresseed and filled with hoplessness. It is like trying to run all the time. I am tired. What can I do when the wind don't blow where it outa blow and confusion sits in and I got to try to make sense of it all?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I would say don't try to figure stuff out as you'll just go round in circles driving yourself insane, and none of us are that smart anyway! I often say to myself in difficult times "life has peaks, lifes has troughs and you've just got to roll with it" in the best ways you know how. All of course with the good humour you mention which is tonic for the mind and body.

It's essential we find our own good ways of coping with the troughs of life. All their associated 'bad' emotions trigger chemical reactions in the body which can cause inflammation and weaken the immune system. This is the basis for the majority of illnesses!

Whenever a bad thought comes along, practise blocking it by replacing it with any good thought ASAP. It could even be something as small as the face of a cute baby or animal or loved one. The more you do it the better you'll get. (Don't encourage bad thoughts from people either - your mind's just too precious! The same applies to bad thoughts of the past/future.). This will very gradually start affecting your emotions in a positive way. But you've got to be determined 100% or there's no point. 

Then start practising doing the same thing on your self-talk. As soon as you see yourself complaining, blaming or whatever that you really know you shouldn't, just replace it with something positive that you say to yourself eg. I've got everything I need inside me to make my life extraordinary. This will slowly impact your spoken words and behaviour and then life itself. Of course there will still be troughs, but you will be one of the minority in this world with a life skill to cope.

Start today. Even a 1% improvement a day, no matter what else is or isn't happening in your life, compounded means 3800% a year! Now that is something to look forward to in a year' s time.

Wish you good luck my friend.

• Posted

Hi there respecthealth, great post to david. Could I add if you don't mind:

You cannot change your past but you can learn by it and from. To day is what comes along now and you learn coping mechanisms, to help you through what it throws at you. However you can learn how to change what happens in your future. Thank you Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.