How often do you have blood tests?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I started to get my underactive thyroid a year ago. Doctor arranged blood tests every six weeks. Am now taking 75g of thyroixide and feeling quite bad. Had a blood test a few weeks ago and he now wants me to have another one tomorrow. Am surprised it is so soon. Has anyone any ideas of why he would want another blood test just two weeks later? Please do not advise me to ask the doctor! 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think it is because he thinks that your thyroid levels may vary/fluctuate as mine do. 

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean. Canyou please explain what is happening with you?  I find I take a dose of medicine for a few weeks and feel fine, then I start to feel awful, then if I increase the medicine I feel ok again. I am now on 75mg officialy but feel I need more. How about you?
    • Posted

Carmel

Sorry I am not yet at the stage of being medicated so am unablle to answer your question.

All I know s that there is a rational explanation for this but others on this Forum are better placed as they are more knowledgeable than myself. I have 20 nodules on the thyroid with a low TSH making me hyperthyroid and sometimes hypothyroid. I feel like you know what.

There is so much controversey amongst drs re the thyroid that it is enough to drive one crackers.

Jus keep having these blood tests Carmel at least the GP appears to be taking some interest. Are you based in the UK/

You need the TSH, T3 and T4 doing at the same time.

Have you been checked for thyroid antibodies?

I can send you my tel number if y9ou pivate messageme first as I am unable to send aPM as my laptop is malfunctioning.

Just like I am!!!

Kind regards

Jean x

• Posted

Hi Jean, thanks for this.  I am in the UK, they just do a simple blood test here and they do not give you the results, they just say if you need another blood test and when.  It would be nice to chat to you if you are in the UK too. No not checked for antibodies.  Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Please send me a private e mail so I can send you my tel number or alternatively ring you back if you wish.

Jean

• Posted

I get mine about once a month and I have a relatively mild case of graves. I would think that the more extreme the medication the more frequently your reaction to it should be monitored. And/Or the more severe your symptoms the more frequently the doctor gathers data to get the most out of your treatment. I would welcome that many blood tests. More data points = a better understanding of your body. Yeah, it's inconvenient.
    • Posted

I hope you do not mind my asking but what is a mild form of graves? For example what are/were ypur signns and symptoms , what did your blood results show?

What was your TSH, T3 and T4? Did you have any tests for thyroid antibodies at all or any tests for any autoimmune diseases?

Jean

What caused the Graves disease?

Have you got any nodules on your thyroid?

Kind regards

Jean

• Posted

Sorry could not edit my name out.

Jean

• Posted

I had a thyrotropin receptor antibody test where my value was 6.18. Normal is 0.00-1.75. My T4 was 1.94, normal is 0.82-1.77. My T3 was 5.9 with normal being 2.0-4.4. And my vitamin D was 0.006 with normal being .45-4.5. I had a high bun/creatine ratio of 21 where normal is 8-20. Don't know what that means.

Basically I masked my symptoms for over 10 years. I don't have my most recent tests, these are all from February. I can get those in about a week.

They did both an ultrasound and some scan where I have to lie really still and there were no nodules, overall my thyroid is just enlarged.

• Posted

Thank you. I would be interested in reading your blood results.

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.