How long on Warfarin ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Diagnosed with DVT 18 days ago.

Had 3 injections Clexane.

On Warfarin since 11/08/15

INR target 2.5

INR readings 2.0, 2.6, 3.4, 3.8, 3.2, 2.5

Presently INR at DVT clinic, will transfer to GP practice nurse next week.

Booked in for THR next month, but cancelled due DVT and Warfarin treatment.

Any one know how long you should expect to be on Warfarin before allowed for an Hip Replacement op.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello S C , most patients when prescribed Warfarin are usually expected to be on it indefinitely as the condition does not normally heal itself. Depending on side effects etc., you may have the option to change to a non-monitored  anti-coagulant like Apixaban , Dabigatran  etc., I have been on Warfarin for nearly 2 years and have no side effects , stable INR and self -test as it suits me .
    • Posted

Hi elfnsafety

Many thanks for your post, had to smile at your 'handle' - elfnsafety.

Hope I am not on Warfarin indefinitely - I'll have to ask when I return to the DVT clinic this coming Friday.

• Posted

I didn't have to stay on warfarin until I'd had 3 DVTs.In the meantime it was discovered that I was positive for Factor V Leiden mutation,so prone to clots.Has your blood been checked for that,as very important for operations?

Anyway,I had a pituitary tumour removed after I was on lifelong warfarin,and had to go into hospital for a week to get my blood stabilised before the op.I came out,and to get my INR up to speed,had to do my own injections until the warfarin could manage on its own.

• Posted

Hi gill43753

Many thanks for your post.

You certainly have to resort to Google with all the symtoms and drugs you read about in the posts on this site.

I will mention Factor V Leiden in my next visit to the DVT clinic.

• Posted

I have been on it for three years and it will not settle at all... I only once had a fortnight between testing. Today it's 5.5 and it should be 2.5- 3-5 .. I'm fed up with it but it's a small price to pay. My arm has no veins so hard to get the blood.  We don't have the pin prick where I live .  I will be on it for life  
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen.I'm on the same range as you,on lifelong warfarin,and have been on it since 1997,when I was 32.I have mine checked every week or fortnight too,but it's not usually as much out as you're saying.Fortunately we do have the pin prick system.Have you checked online that you're not eating things that affect your INR e.g. Grapefruit,cranberries,which make it go too high.Too much spinach and leafy veg can make it too low.Taking other meds affect it,including supplements.Also though we're all told to eat oily fish,a fish diet is not good for warfarin.Just a thought,as your result is way above your ideal level.
  • Posted

The nurse told me that because my hubby isn't eating due to his illness then nor am I eating properly...I know this, I'm hardly eating and I'm terribly worried . Maybe it's all connected to the high numbers? I don't know , I just know I'm fed up with it , such a lot to worry about all at once. Thank you all for your comments. 

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,it's worth having a word with your nurse about it.I wasn't told about the food to eat or not for years,until I ate or used the wrong thing.I was given anti-inflammatories too at one point,which the warfarin doctors said were the only ones ok with warfarin,but they definitely weren't.Anti-inflammatories and warfarin don't mix,and even ibuprofen based creams or gels shouldn't be used,as they alter your warfarin level.This is obviously overwhelming for you,if you're nursing a poorly husband,so really would discuss it with someone,so that you get your blood on an even keel.So sorry you're struggling.Wish you well.Gill
  • Posted

Have been on Warfarin for six months. Consultant has told me to stop. Due to see Prostate Cancer Consultant in April, if he puts me back on Zoladex (Hormone treatment), I will be put back on Warfarin.
    • Posted

DVT clinic advises it takes some 72 hours after stopping Warfarin for your system to clear. No more INR checks required, but still to wear compression stocking. To advise Clinic if I plan to take any Long Haul flights so treatment can be given up to one month before flying.
    • Posted

Also keep hydrated, and keep leg skin supple with E45 or similar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.