Just did my second Bowen Therapy Session!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just went for my 2nd Bowen Therapy session to assist with symptoms from Polymalgia I've had for 2 years.  I found I'd feel somewhat better one day and stiffer the next.  Yesterday I showed up for my 2nd session with a terribly stiff neck probably from lifting a 2 year old and painting my art too long.  I immediately got 50% relief with the neck which continues today but now the WHOLE body is unfbelievably stiff!  My understanding of Bowen Therapy is that this is not uncommon and tomorrow I could experience far less stiffness.  Unlike conventional deep massage this is such a delicate process and there is a minimum of hands on in the one hour session.  It seems they hit trigger points and this activates the cells and tissues memories to revert back to more healthy function but not without some old symptoms reappearing first.  I'd welcome some of you sharing your Bowen experiences and giving me a sense of what to expect.  I'm sure hoping it will help me along here.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

This would be interesting to a lot of people, including me.  I hope to start Bowen in a few weeks.  I know they tell you after three weeks if it is going to work or not, but how long does it go on for after that?
    • Posted

Hi Constance, you replied to me earlier on saying you were going to try Bowen Therapy.  I'm curious how that worked out.    Leonard

• Posted

I had Bowen some months ago, probably around May,for muscle fascia problems. It certainly helped me. The post treatment stiffness didn't last long. I had 3 treatments and felt much better; However, my back is beginning to stiffen up again, probably because I am doing to much! (Don't you get fed up with that phrase) and I am thinking of going back for a 'top up'

Have faith, it does seem to work for our sort of muscle problems.

• Posted

Hi Penelope, how did those later treatments of Bowen Therapy work out for you?  I just resumed doing a few more myself but have come down with a virus and a flareup causing a lot more intensive shoulder and upper back discomfort.  I imagine this needs to settle first before Bowen can help much but then again such a treatment would likely relax the tense muscles here.
  • Posted

Are you remembering to drink all the water from when you have the session and continue to drink that water everyday?

I  remember but I used to drink at least 2 litres and to help me to remember I used filled two litre bottles (they had been filled with tonic water before) every morning and then I knew I was drinking enough. 

If you consistently sit  or do one action for a long time then you will have trouble, the old adage, change your position every hour, ie if sitting - get up and walk around for at least 5 mins, is best for you when at all times.   This applies to everyone whether you have PMR or not.

You can read Tom Bowen's life story by using your search engine.

• Posted

Leonard, I do hope it works for you. In my case it failed miserably sadly. It may have been that the therapist was not that personable and thought she was the bee's knees. All other therapists were rubbish in her opinion. She was not exactly conducive to making one feel relaxed. I had three sessions with her. 
  • Posted

I used Bowen for the first 5 years of PMR to keep me upright and moving - I wasn't given pred as they couldn't/wouldn't diagnose anything. The bloods were OK so obviously there wasn't anything wrong! 15mg of pred worked a miracle in 6 hours.

Because PMR is an ongoing problem you tend to need to go back for follow-up sessions every few months. How often it is depends on you and your PMR. If it is an injury or something like that they can sort you out and that is it. But with a chronic problem the muscles keep trying to compensate and the problem returns. If you leave it too long then you need more sessions to sort you out - I usually have a couple of sessions and am OK again for another few months.

I like the feeling I have suring a treatment - it's like floating and as good as a massage with less post-treatment aches mostly. I don't often hurt the next day but it does depend on how much they have done and how much water I drank afterwards. It's my pamper session - beats a facial or having your nails done!

• Posted

Ugh, Eileen, I know you are beyond it now, but I'm so sorry doctors couldn't or didn't diagnose you all those years.... All that suffereing... 

But bless you for sharing with us your experiences.  And glad you have some good ones. wink 

just wanted to say... Thank you. 

• Posted

Without Bowen, I would still be walking with my zimmer frame and walking sticks most day.

As Eileen says, its my pamper session and I now go once in six months for a top up.

• Posted

Hi lodger.  Re Bowen!  How many sessions did the therapist suggest after the first three?  It costs a fortune over here and I don't want to start something which is going to go over months.
    • Posted

If that first 3 works there is usually no need for more until you feel a need. That's the thing I have always emphasised - lodger and I both went to the same girl and it was she who said it. If it isn't improving things after 3 sessions you need never waste any more on it - unless something else appears that might be helped by Bowen that is. It is said to be VERY good for frozen shoulder for example. That means that no, it will NEVER go on over months but that doesn't rule out you needing a top-up maybe 6 months later.

But as well as that - it is as good as a hot stone massage or any of the other things you are offered during a spa session but - as far as I'm concerned - it achieves pain relief which a spa session doesn't always do. I know you go for those - so it isn't any different.

I'm surprised it is expensive in Germany - most things like that are more expensive here in Italy than in the UK but the lady I go to in the village - fully qualified and registered with a practice to run charges 40 euros - which actually works out cheaper than I paid in the UK and far less than physio costs here. You do have to remember that it takes an hour, they rarely do 2 patients at a time though it does work because of the rest periods between movements (as they call them) and they have overheads to pay. My girl here will do 2 at a time and charge you each less than the full amount. She tells you to take a friend! 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.  You've put my mind at rest.  Can cope with those sort of costs.  Also the only therapist I've found is 24 kms away and I didn't want to start anything long winded because I can't drive myself anymore.

At the moment I am having acupuncture again (doctor's suggestion, and FREE - 15 sessions - so!!!)   Also am still on an aqua-reha course (for another 10 months) so I'd be pushing it to do anything else at the moment.  Just wanted to inform myself for future reference.

28-34 degrees expected here over the next few days - will I be glad when Autumn comes!!!

Have a great weekend.  C.

• Posted

I'd suggest that, from my experiences at least, having a few Bowen sessions would make both the acupuncture and aqua-reha course even more value (if you see what i mean). Aqua-reha works better on happy muscles.

Even here at 850m we are to have 31C for the next 3 or 4 days. Down in Bozen it's to be over 35C. ut this time the nights are to be down to mid-teens which is good.

• Posted

I had my FIRST Bowen today!!!

I'm so excited. The gal said so many things I could relate to. She is young but said has been doing this for 14 years and has had much success with chronic pain.

Someone here said they didn't touch much, so that was nice to know what to expect... But what she did do then left room... I felt that part totally relaxing... She'd come back in and ask if I felt anything... One time I felt some ache wanting to creep back in, she said yea, some areas the energy will get stuck... Later I told her after she did an area I got real hungry then it went away, she smiled and said that means I'm reacting and was good.

all parts felt so grounded. Except my upper or top of shoulders. 

I go back Monday. Then next 2 weeks.  She said no weight lifting, ugh... But I understand...

also!!!! I'm so excited, I got to Aqua jog in a spring fed pool we have down here in Austin, Texas... It's a constant 72 degrees... Yes, cold when you first get in, but my friend and I wore our floatie belts and jogged for 30 minutes. It felt so good.  So Bowen gal said its ok if I do easy exercises like that, but no bicycle, ugh, since I'm already shortened in my Psoas and hipflexors.  I quit my Physical Therapist for a while too. 

My lower back feels good, but I haven't done much other than drive the 80 miles back home. Ha, my butt bursas hurt from that, but Bowen seemed well worth it. 

Yeah, and thanks to Yall who recommended it!  smile 

thanks Leonard for posting, I was about to post myself...

• Posted

Hi Layne, have you continued with Bowen and had success?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.