Need help

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi  haven't posted for a while been too miserable I went for my 6 week check and the consultant said he was pleased with my progress but said that I should not be using sticks yet but should go back to crutches as sticks are only for balance not support It felt like a real backward step I am so far behind some of you I feel like I am losing the plot I have not had any physio and am not sure what I should be doing the consultant said it will just get better He has discharched me but I still have backache  Obviously I still have the ability to moan ! Grateful for help 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How many hips have you had done, I never had physio either but found my back hurt too I think it's because you are starting to walk properly again, rant away that's what this forum is for, I am waiting to have my left hip done which should be hopefully nov/dec time
    • Posted

Just the left one apparently the other one isn't bad enough I'm not sure I am walking properly I still tool perhaps not quite so much though I hope your second one goes well
  • Posted

Did he say why? Is there another problem you have that may be causing a need for crutches at this stage? I have heard of people having to be on crutches for a long time.

I should make a GP appointment and go and ask what the consultant has said to him in the discharge letter. You could also ask for physio, I did because I could not walk well at all and was limping badly.it has helped a lot.

I do think that he ought to have explained the reasons for his decision.

We are all on the same path, some fast some more slowly but we all do get there so do not be so discouraged

let us know how you get on

• Posted

Hi Maggie I have had a copy of the discharge letter and apart from saying that he has reviewed this delightful lady  (which made me doubt his credibility  ) he just says he is pleased with progress and has discharged me  maybe I'm slower because of advanced age (74)
    • Posted

Not that old! I was told my back ache was caused by my muscles waking up as I was using the wrong ones to walk, compensating for the hip. I do stand taller etc so things do get better. My mum had hers done at 81, and 2 knees during the next 7 years. She could still walk her dog afterwards, used a walking stick though
  • Posted

Even now 15 weeks post op if I know I am going to be walking a lot on uneven ground I will use just one crutch for support, where abouts are. Jane, I am in Cromer Norfolk
    • Posted

I am in the wilds of Kent very isolated my son lives in Norfolk so I visit quite often 
  • Posted

Hi Jane

My new hip was 4 months old yesterday and I still get back ache!

I was on 2 crutches for the first 6 weeks, I felt I could have gone to one but was told to stick with 2. I think this really helped, I walk without a limp on my operated side now.

Like you I have trouble with my other hip, not bad enough for a replacement but they are doing an arthroscopy on it in October.

I think the combination of adjusting to the new hip, walking more upright, having problems with the other hip all adds to the problems.

The Important thing to remember is it takes a year, 52 weeks, to fully recover, you are in the very early days at 6 weeks.  You will start to notice things improving gradually, one week you will suddenly realise you are able to do something that 2 weeks earlier you could not manage!

Take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself.

Hugs,, Paula

• Posted

Thank you Paula I was stupid not to post earlier I feel better just reading and knowing people have bothered to respond
  • Posted

Don't be so hard on yourself Jane. It's very early days. Everyone is different and it isn't a competition.. Your consultant is pleased with your progress which is a very positive thing. You can always contact your local hospital and request physiotheraphy. The hospital should have given you a sheet of exercises to do at home. Make sure you speak to people and invite people round. It can be isolating otherwise, that combined with the medication may leave you feeling a bit low. It sounds like you're doing really well. Keep a diary of it all, reading through it you will realise the progress you're making. Stay positive, the worst is over and the best is yet to come.
  • Posted

Hi Jane I just wonder how much you did the excersises from the chart you were given from the hospital, the foot pumps done in twos not noes will help and the leg presses into the bed really do help, and quite quickly too, then the butt clenches, and the knee raises at the kitchen counter are a must, I have been through it twice now in four months... I do the breathing excercises too and I have oriental ways I have learned, in years of study...Please do the breathing excersises and think of an army or little people rebuilding your muscles as you do the bum clenches, think your thoughts to the wound...it works believe me...

Ask me more questions, I have been doing this sort of meditation for years now and I have found that it works.  I am 54, almost 55, please read my posts as they explain me over them all not too many, and you will see I I have done it myself for myself, and I can explain it to you, to get better quicker...Keep in touch Ian..

• Posted

Thanks Ian I didn't get any excercises from the hospital except the butt clenches I was only in hospital for a day and a half A quick walk up the hallway and climbed a flight of stairs and home It was a private op ( medical insurance ) felt a bit like a posh conveyer belt  I will read your posts but I've no idea what foot pumps and knee raises are perhaps you could elaborate ? 
    • Posted

Hi Jane Foot pumps are pressing your foot down and up... do them in two,s but count , one, and do 25 of them, then press your leg into the bed, from the thigh, and the heel together, then the butt clenches are easy, just do the breatheing in through the noe out through the mouth, to sort of pressurise your body system, it is just a bit , just a litle bit.. the more you breathe the more you pressurise and the deeper your breaths the better, then you squeeze, the butt, and concentrate your thoughts to the area of the wound, and think internaly, to the mob of ants or litle people rebuilding your muscles from the inside...It is Chinese Ki Gung, and it works, I have been doing it for years.

Email me for more infomation, as I cant give you  links here.

Just message me....I will try to help further....

Ian +++

• Posted

Great post Ian as usual. I do the exercises from pocket physio all but never had them explained so well as you do.
    • Posted

Click on the message icon under. Ian's name. I think that consultants are more conservative with us olders. Mine said continue to use one crutch outside as brain take a while to register new hip. Practice your walking in the safety of your home. My hall is 12 paces and I walked up and down there without crutches until I felt safer around rest of home. Consultant also added 2weeks to no driving. You know your body best Jane.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.