Day 5 post op

Posted , 9 users are following.

All going very well here in South only needed paracetamol and brufen for pain relief and now taking less brufen...can't beleive how amazing it is to be pain free!     Two probs...first sleeping on back or rather NOT sleeping on back....any hints? I have put a lovely sheepskin in bed so gorgeous to feel on feet whilst I am awake! Also swelling....day four serious leg swelling....how long does this go on for...it was less when I got up this morning but now getting worse again with a sort of pins snd needles feeling..... Having had the two moans.....I have to say I FEEL GREAT!!!!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oooops me again..... Should say south yorkshire!
  • Posted

hiya glad all going well. put two pillows under your knees and one under your ankles. I bought a triangular support for my pillow it wasbrilliant. it lifted my pillows high enough so sleeping on my back was more comfortable.  I had swelling

(huge) but after 10 days went down.  I noticed the swelling increased as I walked about too but it does disappear.

• Posted

You could try sleeping sat up a little bit that's how I managed it, the leg swelling will last anything up to a couple of months or more, even 15 weeks post op I still get a little bit of leg swelling especially if I have done a lot of walking or been on feet all day standing, but definitely does get better xx ps I am in Cromer norfolk
  • Posted

You are doing really well

i was shocked about day 10 when my knee swelled up and my ankle, but everyone on here assured me it was normal. Apparently we get pulled and pushed about. Whoever held onto my ankle np must have had a vice like grip!!!

leg can swell quite a bit don't forget to rest with leg up and those good old ice packs

good luck

• Posted

Having seen some of the operating table add ons, it was probably a surgical vice!
  • Posted

Just as others have said let swelling is something they had not warned about. I went to bed afternoon feet up on pillows and ice pack on knee. I usually slept as I too found sleeping on back difficult. Still have a bit of knee ankle swelling at 8 weeks+ but consultant said it will go in time.. Just remember they dislocate your hip and if you had a broken leg for example you would be in a cast for 6 weeks at least. You're doing great and you will see a wee improvement every day.
  • Posted

Having had surgery without sedation I suppose I am not at all surprised that there is swelling!! Just wondered how long it usually lasts!!!!  Going to try the pillow suggestions for sleeping on back..... All of this a small price to pay for a new life!
  • Posted

You are doing amazingly well, Jane. To be able to cut down the meds to that level on just day 5 is brilliant but don't try and go superwoman. We all want to get off the meds ASAP but if you need them, take them. There is plenty of time when we are further down the line in our recovery to cut down the meds. In particular you need to keep taking some sort of anti-inflammatory as that is what helps the swelling the most so please keep up the Brufen if the swelling is a big problem for you.

Sleeping is one of the most difficult things I found. I am 5 days post op on my second hip replacement and last time I ended up sleeping mostly in my electric recliner as sleeping on my back in bed was really painful! It's something we just have to endure until we have recovered enough to be able to sleep on our sides. There are things on the market to make sleeping easier and there should be lots of people on here able to advise.

You are doing great though for only day 5. Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on. All success stories are inspiring to others about to travel the same route.

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Hmmmmm will perhaps increase brufen again... I have only ever had paracetamol and brufen...... Just have not had any pain...I reduced brufen because I know that makes my feet and ankles swell.... Perhaps I should go back to original dose as this is different swelling from brufen swelling.... I don't have pain on back (as Said I have no pain anywhere really) just can't sleep! Ha ha ha ... I wll stop whinging!
  • Posted

I heard it is hard to adjust ( if ever) to sleeping on your back..I have that treat in store.  Good to hear you are only on paracetomol and brufen..as I worry (!) that strong painkillers make you feel unwell...yikes..

Carry on feeling graet and I hope when I am home on 12th Sept ( go in 7th) I will progress as you have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.