Length Difference

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 5 days post -op and went to my first PT session on Friday. While standing in front of a full length mirror I noticed that my operative hip was 2+ inches higher than my unaffected hip. The therapist suggested that I check with the Ortho doctor at my first post-op visit in 2 weeks.

Is length asymmetry normal this soon after surgery and if so does it get better on its own.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom it is quite a lot of difference, I had and Inch difference but the surgeon said it would bed in and come right after my second operation, and it has, my legs are now both the same length, it is a worry but ask the questions, to the surgeon, it is a risk of the operation but can come right, are you having the other one done??

Let us know, what happens next.  Keep in touch

Kind regards Ian.

• Posted

Yes I'm scheduled for my first post-op appt on 9/12. I'll let you know what the surgeon says. I have no plans on treating the other hip but I know that the possibility exists.
  • Posted

hi tom , 

welcome to our family of loving hippies ..

wow, yeah, that sounds like a big difference - maybe it just looks that way to you or was it actually measured?

when I look in the mirror, or even stand up, it feels and looks as if there is a big difference - in fact it is a couple of millimeters and more my posture ... 

but I will need 2nd THR, so not sure if this info is helpful ..

take it easy and be gentle with your self -

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Dear Tom,

please don't worry too much so early. The damage and disturbance to all the muscles and ligaments can make it feel and look a lot longer than the other. Keep doing the exercises, especially the one where you tighten the glut muscle and raise the leg holding it straight, and see how it goes. I found exercising at the pool much easier and useful. Try this once the wound is healed and water tight, usually about 3 weeks.

Mine has finished up about a cm longer and I hardly notice now after 10 months but it has taken time. They dare not risk the operated leg ending up shorter than the other cos this makes dislocation more likely. Good luck and don't let this detract from all the benefits from your surgery.

Betty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.