weightloss vs pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I think I may know the result  but  has anyone reading  had a significant amount of pain reduction after weight loss?

the problem seems to be that my consultant doesnt feel my hip wear is bad enough to operate THR  but  how it is for me is after walking a short way the pain down my leg is excruciating and need to sit down - maybe  you all  have/had pain far worse??

Did you have pain all the time  or anyone like me  - after a sit down I am much better for another 500 yds whatever,  he said all the negs that a false hip isnt as good as what Ive got, also that Im notreally old enoughin the scheme of thing!  (61)

is he just inundated with numbers and puttng me off?

any help much appreciated,  and please please dont anyone take my situation personally

paulie

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You must have seen the same Dr. I saw. He said I'm to young (53) .he also said MR I tend to exaggerate things. That's why I'm getting a 2 opinion. I think its about quality of life. I feel like a 73 year old intead of 53. I'm anxious to talk with 2nd Dr.

Also, in my research I found the anteior procedure vs the posterior. Half the recovery time and far less retrictions. Check into it if you haven't already. Lots of videos on YouTube. Also tons of younger people getting replacements.

Be your own advocate

• Posted

Hi        that is pretty daunting for sure  -   no wonder  sad
  • Posted

.......daunting re the pressure on hips that is...

thanks  carla      Im unsure of diffedrence between anteria   I do know mine is anteria

i feel so confused whether to push or not as consultant outlines so many negs,  (wythenshawe hosp!)    This was my 2nd opinion!!  The first consultant at Macclesfield told me I may need intervention surgery in 8 plus years!!

so youll understand please why  Im confused  I will try and learn more about  about anteria,  is this less painful and intrusive then do you know?

• Posted

There are a few different types of procedures of total hip replacements. The most common is the posterior (they go through the butt muscles) the anterior procedure goes through the front (no cutting muscle, they just move them out of the way) so yes the recovery time is half !

Go on YouTube and type in anterior hip replacement and there are several videos of the procedure. The animated one is very informative and easy to follow. Then there are countless testimonys of people who have had the procedure. Very reassuring.

Like you, my first Dr. Said I was too young and "not bad enough yet". So while waiting for second opinion I have been conducting my own test. I went off pain meds, stopped taking anti inflammatory and am forcing myself to walk 3 laps around the dog park everyday and monitoring my pain. So I can tell the Dr. How I really feel, since I have been on pain meds, anti inflammatory, Cortisone shots, even surgery to help repair damage last year. I think I'm ready for a perminate solution.

As I said, be your own advocate, research, research and research.

Have you had an MRI yet?

• Posted

ps

and the x ray photo  shows it up as tiny but later wondered if it just shows the front, is this an all round xray,  meaning is it worse at other side?  

worse, my scan said there was no full carledge loss   but the 2nd consultant disagreed??

maybe look at having a private diagnosis?  

• Posted

My x-Ray in France showed just a little cartilage worn away at the top of the ball. Actually my surgeon didn't even look at the x-Ray I brought with me, he said the patients decide when they want it done and x-rays don't really tell the full story anyway. Honestly he schemed me for surgery without looking at a single x-Ray. Instead he manipulated my leg, "Does this hurt? No, how about this?" Then when he pushed it a certain way and I said it hurts, he said, "It's your hip, when you want a THR let me know and I'll do it" first I tried a second steroid injection into the hip, when that wore off after a month I went back and we scheduled the surgery.
  • Posted

......he said it may or may not, last more than ten years and not good to have a second one done,     my dad died at 68 and mum at 94  so how long is a piece of string  or   just live for moment      frustrating
  • Posted

61 isn't too young if you're in pain.I was 50 when I had mine done in 2008 and it'd started 4 years earlier.

I kept on going to my doctors moaning about the lack of movement in my hip and how I'd gone from fit 46 year distance runner to nothing.

I knew I had to get my op done while labour were in power as the tories will run the nhs down.

• Posted

smile    good thinking   thanks to both of you

yes Il get a plan.  just watched a bit on u tube   and  very helpful,   as the guy I watched said,  his life was getting smaller and smaller!  im now thinking twice to do a chore if sat down, really bad

Yes  my scan was MRI       the report said no full cartiledge loss so GP sent me on 

• Posted

sorry flipped off...

....sent me to a Pain Clinic to learn to live with it as said my pain had unfounded cause!

The 2nd opinion consultant looked at the MRI result and begged to differ that yes, it did show bone to bone,  so what next?

my plan is to loose the wiegt and start the pain killers which Ive not done seriously before,   just to get me through  and  Im going to Pilates as feel a great need to get fit and strong

Il really push at next appointment  and will know then that the weightloss has or hasnt helped me by then  but  my guess is I will feel better generally but not good enough

I told him I couldnt even walk the corridor without the leg pain and he kept quizzing how long the corridor was   I got a bit cross finally  and said I should be able to walk all the corridors!!    not just one!  lol

my knee now twinging but he said that some patients go with knee pain and it is their hip at fault , not knee.   so this to me is very diagnostic and of course,  the steroid took all the pain away for 3 weeks,  so  yes, I must not go back into denial!

thanks all and   all good wishes,    I may even bring the apptment forward if possible   if there is generally a long waiting list for op 

pauline

• Posted

I had IT BAND pain for 6 years. Its the long muscle that runs from your knee up your thigh and around your hip. From what I Understand it the part of what holds your leg together. I went six years trying to fix the problem. Did everything suggested, acupuncture, massage therapy, physical therapy, you name it. did 2 cortisone shot, that didn't help. The doctor finally ordered an MRI, I think just to pacify me. After he got the MRI he came in the office and said your in a lot of pain aren't you. That led to my labrum tear repair and bone spur removal. A year and a half later, my hip is in just as bad of shape. Sometimes you just have to press the issue before they take you seriously. I'm not one to go to the doctor for just anything, I have to be in a lot of pain and then when they don't take you seriously, it can be frustating. You begin to doubt yourself and tell your self to buck up and get on with it. But after 8 years and basically not doing anything I used to do, well then it's time to make a decision.

Just saw your latest post, they went in with 3 scopes and stitched my labrum back together, shaved a bone spur off and removed all the loose cartilidge. I can say I wouldn't have done it if I had known the kind of pain I would have afterwards. Your leg is put in this vice and stretched out of the socket. All my thigh muscles, tendons and nerves were stretched for such a long time, my leg would convulse. Plus I couldn't put any weight on it for 6 weeks. It took 9 months before I wasn't in some sort of pain. All for nothing, everything is all damaged again.

• Posted

I had tendonosis of the IT Band for two years and it was much more painful and debilitating than my hip! God that was painful! I don't know what they did during my THR but I came out of it with about 95% cure of the IT Band. In fact if I was forced to choose, you can have one or the other, either we repair your IT Band or you can have a new hip, Imwould have chosen to fix the IT Band. 

You're  are the FIRST person on the forum who has ever written that they had tendonosis of the IT Band, like i had. I still have it in my other leg but that was never ever as bad as in my operated leg. I think technically the IT Band is a tendon, not a muscle.  My tendinitis of the IT Band never healed and termed into tendonosis. When I rub my hand down the outside of that leg I can feel exactly where the scar tissue is. I am more happy about the surgery resolving my IT Band than I am about the hip. It was just constant pain.

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification Jodi regarding the IT BAND. I think someone told me it was a muscle once, so I hung onto that.

I hear you about the pain, so diblitating. My hip repair took that pain away, but now I have other pain. Hope you get better.

• Posted

OMG, but isn't is GREAT that the THR took away that IT Band Tendonitis/Tendonosis?

Unless you have had it you just really can't relate how bad that is. This is why when about 10 days after my THR and my physical therapist said I had tendonitis of the Illiopsoas tendon I totally paid 1,000% attention to that since I had had tendonosis of the it Band. I just laid around (didn't sit) for abou 3 1/2 weeks until that Illiopsoas healed up. I didn't do anything to aggravate it, and it DID heal up and today I couldn't even tell you where exactly that tendon is since it no longer hurts.

I think so manyo f us never had tendonitis as a young person and when we get older and get tendonitis we don't know what it is and don't pay attention to it. After that tendonosis of the IT Band I am hyper vigilent. I have done a TON of painting since May, but when my arm feels tired, especially my shoulder, I now stop and rest it. I have left a ceiling half painted and returned to it the next day when it feel like my arm is getting to sore. As we age our tendons are no longer as flexible as when we were younger and we must py attention to that and not push through in order to finish. It is literally not worth your health. The ceiling will still be there tomorrow to finish painting.

I'm so glad to have someone on the forum I cant talk with about tendonitis. The word itself doesn't sound bad, "tendonitis," but it is a really disabeling condition, depending on where you have it in your body. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.