Going in for my Operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Zoladex for 8 months now (2 months longer than I should have been!). I have managed to lose nearly 2 stone and had my pre-op last Thursday.

I am terrified of the operation itself but cannot wait to be out of all this pain and discomfort. The Zoladex has been amazing, but has to stop and I don't think I could survive the level of pain I was in previously. I am having a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy, they are also removing my ovaries and probably my cervix, so a good length of time off work.

This group has been nice to turn to when I was feeling awful, thank you everyone for that. I am looking forward to a new me after I recover!

Love and best wishes to you all x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen best of luck with your operation do you have a date yet ? Totally agree with you I'm terrified but the thought of this pain going on is getting me through it , I've just been given a date for November for my operation ,can I ask when you had your ore op did they explain everything to you ie length of time in hospital predation before etc ,sue xx
    • Posted

Hi Suerobbo68,

My op is on Wednesday 2nd September, so no it long! The hospital have been excellent. But it is a good idea to put together a list of things you want to ask x

• Posted

Just to let you know I had my operation on the 2nd September. I ended up having a horizontal incision. The consultant told me my uterus looked and felt like a large pineapple there were so many fibroids. They also took my ovaries and cervix. I have recovered quickly although I feel lke I have a drawstring under my tummy and a big lump where the muscle is trying to knit together. I get nerve spasms and some pain, but very manageable and I know it is getting better daily.

What I will say is that when I returned home and started to be a little more comfortable, that is when I realised all my other pain had gone! At that point I could not stop crying with relief...it is really gone!

I am now looking forward to getting my life back and am even returning to work next week (half days to start with). I have lost the bloated look I had, i've had my hair restyled and am back at slimming world, look out world, here I come! xxx

• Posted

Hi there Karen, I'm so glad everything worked out well for you, I'm due to have a total hysterectomy, although I haven't had my date yet. It's so good to hear good news from one and how much brighter you feel afterwards. I'm dreading mine I really am, I wasn't given any choice from consultant they just said I needed a hysterectomy . I to have lost 2.5 stone ( slimming world) I don't want o put it back in either which is another worry for me. Good luck hope you get stronger and fitter by the day x
    • Posted

Hi Ann Marie,

My fibroids were destroying me and causing bowel and bladder problems too, I didn't have a choice either. I still maintain it has been the best decision ever! I lost my weight with slimming world and have returned to the group as soon as I could. I was so bored after the op and couldn't sit up comfortably for ages, (I had 2 positions, standing or laying on my back) so was I eating anything that stayed still too long! lol. I am now getting back on track with my weight loss and have more motivation than ever.

I am still recovering and trying to make sure I take it slowly, although I have returned to work. I feel like the future is mine now. Be positive, the fear is normal (I was terrified, I had never had an operation at all). But once you wake up you know the pain is short lived and will end, not like before. Good luck and hugs x

• Posted

Hi there Karen thank you for your comforting words I really appreciate it. The trouble is I feel really well at the moment after losing so much weight apart from the pressure and heavy periods I feel fine that's what is worrying me I'm worried they are making the wrong decision, I have even asked for a second opinion from my GP and she agrees with the consultant, im so confused as what to do because I don't want to make matters worse. Sorry for winging about all this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.