First drive !!

Posted , 6 users are following.

9 weeks tomorrow and had my first drive yesterday. Daughter took me to empty car park as advised by consultant so I could practice emergency stop. It was a good laugh as she also decided to teach me to reverse park!!! After all these years I still like the space of 2 buses. I drove home and felt like I was having a driving lesson as she kept telling me when to change gear etc. It was great but could feel the mobile in back pocket feeling. Must be sore muscles. Things can only get better!!

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Getting back behind the wheel was one of the best psychological parts of my recovery last time. It's part of getting your independence back which gives us a psychological boost.

I drive a beautiful little 2 seater convertible which I'm not allowed in for 3 months 😢 so I have to swap cars with my hubby when I'm allowed back behind the wheel until my consultant says I can get behind the wheel of my own car again. That day last time had me more excited than a little girl at Christmas lol.

Well done you on the latest little triumph on your road to recovery 😀

Ali xx 

• Posted

Thanks Ali. I've said this before "" Alln the things we took for granted are now milestones. My granddaughter starts secondary school tomorrow and now I will be able to get her from the bus!!Hurrah!!
  • Posted

Hi Ella, I know that feeling wellsmile I hadn't driven since last October, and then in the meantime my little Fiesta had to be scrapped (it was really old). So I bought a 09 kia rio automatic, it has given me the urge to drive again and regain my independence too. I love it......so now there will be no stopping you either smile get ouot there and enjoy the fresh air while you can. xx
    • Posted

Thanks Gill cat. Think briskwalk is Ella tho.

I'm actually Geraldine Cat but someone had got my user name first.

• Posted

oopss sorry Geraldine must have been an age thing smile
  • Posted

cool  cool .... 

My car is a tiny Fiat and good Lord, it is still challenging to get in and out - now left hip is the problem --- anyway .....

oh, one of the things I loved in when living in Los Angeles was the very spacious parking spots - Holland is a small country, with tiny cars and tinier parking spots - 

congratulations!

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee. Trip to post office today!! So glad to be able to do that much for myself.

• Posted

Dear Attractac,

To be albe to drive is bliss!!!

Enjoy your freedom...

Ella 

• Posted

Thanks Ella. Now with Sept approaching I can once again look for classes to fill in retirement and keep brain active.
  • Posted

Ah the privilege of driving. I have a 4x4 and it's manual too so I was concerned at first drive after op. No problems at all except I had to pay (yearly) registration at this time nearly $1000 and just two days ago the alternator decided to retire. More expense. The price of freedom

Andy

• Posted

And we think £ 120 yearly road tax is bad. Someone asked me a long time ago now I could afford to keep a car. My answer was I could do without food before I could do without a car. Mind you that's when I had a houseful of kids to ferry around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.