Circulation machines

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have seen advertised these circulation machines where you put your feet on it and it vibrates, suppose to help circulation has anyone tried one and how did they find it

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Marilyn

Circulation machines sound a good idea for those recommened for such by their surgeon or gp.

At Exeter we had auto foot circulation pumps for 24 hours post op as an anti DVT measure. Sounds similar maybe?

Take care

Mic.x

• Posted

Sounds like that is what I had on my legs in hospital. Very very noisy was my experience. If it's same thing they inflate and deflate consecutively

Denise

• Posted

This not the same it is a circular machine you put your feet on on the floor sir Ian Bonham did a advert for it also on sale in argos, I had the inflatables whilst in hospital I didn't need anything got told to just pump foot up and down and at the same time private it
  • Posted

I had these after both my hip replacements. They were no bother at all, not noisy (reminded me of my cat sneezing, cute!) and so much preferable to the dreaded teds. I had them for 24 hours but asked if I could have them for longer as they were no problem and probably more useful in preventing DVTs the longer you had them on.
    • Posted

Hi Ali, like you i too had the pumps, but also 6 weeks of 2 junior asprin a day too! some folk here still have the stockings, yuk.

Mic

x

• Posted

I had 6 weeks of 75mg aspirin daily last time but this time I have Naproxen which does the same thing.

I feel sorry for people who still have teds. It seems that the thinking in these things is changing. The teds almost stopped my circulation last time so the consultant said I wasn't to have them. They should go down in history as an object of torture lol.

Ali x

• Posted

Ha yes I agree down with teds !!! (If only they were that easy to get down) I'm currently blessed with them they r pain . Restricts independence as u can't get them on and off yourself

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise

Gosh...sorry you are one of just a few hippies to still have them.

At 3 weeks post op you might talk to your GP and go over to junior asprin instead?

Take advice and good luck with your deciding for you and by you

Mic

X

• Posted

What's that saying about doctors differing. When I wanted to do a short haul flight at 7 weeks post op, I asked about aspirin. Consultant said that NICE guidelines say aspirin is not a DVT preventative. I'll still be taking them on my next long haul flight.

Had Ted's 6 week and clexene injctions for 4.

• Posted

Wow,

Let's have a party with your consultant and my consultant - the one that drinks most cider is obviously correct!!

Hugs

Mic

x

• Posted

One was not supported to drink alcohol with blood thinners. My granddaughter asked Why. Because alcohol thins the blood.

Why not just drink wine instead of injections Granny.?????

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

i saw Ian Botham advertising this and I thought it looked a good solution for my swollen legs. I had a RTHR in February and was mobile straight away, but I suffer from a form of Lupus which causes inflammation and swelling of the legs, making walking hard.

i could,nt get any sensation from it at first, but I read that some people need it turned up higher than normal, so I whacked it up to around 80 and started to get the muscle contractions in my calves. It really helped me a lot and I did it every evening for a while.  As a nurse, I understand the mechanics behind it and it,s great for anyone who has limited mobility.

its not cheap, but it's worth it to prevent a DVT!

Good luck,

warm hugs

Susie

• Posted

Hello marilyn

I had the leg pumps in hospital. but my legs swelled up after the 6 weeks with the ted stokings so I bought a circulation machine. I found it really helped me. Mine cost £100.00  and worth every penny. it really helped to control the stiffness in my calf muscles and helped with the swelling too. I use mine twice per day because I can't mobilize very far with my right hip being collapsed now so it has become the one thing at home that has helped me a lot. I didn't buy mine from the TV advert which I have seen I got mine from a catalogue. I am never sure these TV ones are any good at least with a catalogue your protected if they don't work and you get a years guarantee.

• Posted

Hello Hailea,

Gosh, so you had pumps AND stockings! glad the pump you brought yourself later was helpful.... 

Sounds like an important item in your healing process, to use as long as you need to.

take care

Mic

x

• Posted

Hello Mic

Yeah it was like being back in the dark ages with medeivil torcher deviceslol

But I know now there was a reason behind both.and I am expecting the same for when I have the right hip done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.