More Awareness Please

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, just thought I would make a post as there are a lot of New folks here that are having real doubts and fears about the operation, worried about going Private or NHS, silly really as you get the same surgeon and a huge saving on the operation, but you don't have to wait so long, that's for sure. Unsure as to how much time they will need to take off from work, and what they will need. Leg lengths..Lots of deep personal regrets and a little self recriminating. rolleyes

"Did I run just too many Marathons ?" "Did I do too much hill walking?"

Tears of "Why was I so so stupid when I was younger"  cry

I know that I felt terrible, and tearful, very depressed, in Jan this year, and that spread like cancer to my dear wife Sandy, we had to get a grip and get over that awful moment between us and get on with it, once I had had the correct diagnosis made.  eek  cool

I see the same thing every week lately, misdiagnoses' trying to pin the pain down, as to what is causing the pain,  when all folks really needed was an X-ray to show up any damage that they are currently doing to themselves or already done, so that they get the opportunity to take evasive action to the training that they have taken up.

So I assume, we are getting more, and more THR all the time in younger people.

We listen to the experts and take up a more healthy lifestyle, myself included, we seem to be overdoing the training to make ourselves fitter and stronger, than we really need to be and now paying the price.

It is a very big and expensive operation, and those of us with advanced Osteoarthritis, will need two operations. There are risks that you have to sign your name to before they go ahead with it. People should read the medical form as they sign it so they do know the risks.  cool

Not having it done is not really any way out, as the condition worsens you will become a pavement shuffler or join the " Ministry Of Silly Walks.."  lol  rolleyes

Worse...End up unable to walk at all.  frown

They are cancelling lots of operations now for various reasons, I was cancelled twice, and nearly a third time as they thought I was drinking too much.   eekquestionfrown

A holier than though sister thought I was the devil himself the way she looked at me and sent in an alcohol related nurse to interview me and check my shaking hands, three times in the 30 min interview, not that I shake at all, they seemed to think that I should shake...exclaim

He spoke to me as if I was a true alcoholic, but reflecting the questions back at him I got some really doleful guilty sole searching eyes, looking right back at me.  rolleyes  rolleyes

"I don't drink like you do..." was all I said.  cool

Whereas I am far from that, I do not drink to excess ever, I see too much of that at work. This interview was arranged, just because I had a can of beer on the morning of my operation at 630 am with my light breakfast, so be careful what you say on the PreOp.   idea  exclaim

They will only help you if they feel that you quality of life, in real terms can be restored.

But the rewards are to be totally free from pain, able to walk again, and get your life back, if perhaps a little limited, or restricted to quite what it was before the OA started, but, from the start of it, unless it has gone a long way already, as mine had done, you all will have had at least three years of suffering before they will operate.

Perhaps there needs to be more awareness made to the public on the TV about the excess of exercise, as they already do with Alcohol, and Sugar+ Salt intakes as there is nothing on the TV to warn anyone off of excessive training, and Marathon Running.   idea  cool

Well folks a Rant and a Story...Hope you enjoyed my thoughts and I am interested to hear more from anyone who has read my piece here soon.

Kind regards and faster healing..... Ian.   idea

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gosh....you are having or were a hard time..I have lost weight but not enough..I love wine and vodka but will try to have less....I am sure you are happy tho to have a partner who is supporting you..I would be calmer if I had..well hope I would

be..

• Posted

Hi Alice

Greetings from hippy land.

Good luck with the op, nice red wine, and find ing a new love soon!

Mic

X

• Posted

Hello Mic 71403..Yes red wine is scrummie....as to a new love ...no don't want that really but a new hip will be good ..

Good night all Forum readers.  PLease keep posting  especially till 7th to keep me 'keep my chin up'...it seems  of us have a tale to tell..or read between the lines... and the problems and fears about op are so much less for me now shared with other hippies!

​Alice.

​Alice

• Posted

Hey Alice...

Never say never...I thought for ages I could exercise away a bad hip...so I then needed the op badly...and no regrets.

Maybe a new love, and a new pinotage from patagonia, are just around the corner too for you..plus the hip!

Mic

X

• Posted

I have a hubby who is very supportive but it didn't lessen the massive attack of heebie jeebies I had prior to surgery (I almost turned round at the operating theatre doors and went home) 😂

I've had loads of surgery over the years but for some strange reason which still evades me, I was terrified about this one. The others I went into just fine. Work that one out!

I had no reason to be afraid though, our surgeons are fabulous and take the greatest care of us.

Still rooting for you!

Ali xx

• Posted

Dear Ali 1,

​Thank you for that encouragement.  Last time I had an op..gall bladder removal..I was shaking so much they couldn't put the needle in my hand.. Stay in touch..everyone on this site have helped so much. I couldn't blieve how much better I feel..and not taking the valium prescribed for this week.  ( I am not a usual valium taker) but will take them next weekend to get me to the hospital.

Ali 2.

• Posted

Well....I also thought I could excercise and diet away the looming op!  I have my pre op and physio assessment tomorrow at 4.

New love

eh?  Not sure I want to shave my legs again!!

Alice

• Posted

Dear Ali 2,

I will stay in touch, you can count on it! They struggled to get the needle in my hand this time for me too. A combination of being very cold and being stressed they said. They were going to put my hand in a bowl of warm water in the end but they managed in the end. I'm pleased to say though They didn't attempt to get the needle in until they knew they had a good enough vein. I have to say it was rather nice having a dishy young anaesthetist holding my hand trying to warm it up (shhh don't tell the hubby) 😉

Im not going far in the next week so will be with you as long as you need me until you go to the hospital (longer if you wish it to be that way).

I just know you are going to nail this as I can sense the difference in your posts since you joined our wonderful, helpful, supportive, kind and rather mad group here.

Big hug coming your way.

Ali 1 xx

• Posted

Hi Alice!

Good to read your missive, yea it's tough when Plan A does not work out!

Good luck tomorrow

Mic

xx

• Posted

Hi Ali 1

Thank you so much..getting the jitters again..I am having a spinal inj ( is that the same as an epidural)...will I hear the sawing????

​Thank you so contiuning to post..I won't be take laptop into hospital but will keep reading all this till..Sunday Night!!  and again when I come home which hopefully will be Saturday 12th.

Lots of hugs,

Ali 2

​Accepted hug with gratitde..keep smiling.

​Ali 2.

• Posted

Hi Ali,

I doubt you will hear anything, the sedative they gave me sent me to sleep until right near the end both times. I woke up with the large green sheets still surrounding me and with a big smile from my anaesthetist telling me it was all over, had gone according to plan and they were just finishing up. I didn't wake up again properly until I was in recovery, just waiting to go back to my room. The whole thing was marvellous and they seem to know just how much sedative you need to get you right through to the end. I heard no sawing, drilling or anything else, only soft music at the end.

The jitters will come and go but they did with me too. One minute I was filled with confidence and determination to 'do this', the next I wanted to run away.  You have enough support to carry you through this and further and that's what we intend to do. We are here with you all the way, and we aren't about to let anything happen to you (or they'll have us nutters to contend with!!) 

I found the reality to be nothing like what my imagination decided I had ahead of me. The imagination can be a marvellous thing but also our worst enemy if we let it play tricks on us. We control our minds, our minds don't control us. Once we have got that straight then the fear should be much lessened. You just have to tell it who is boss 😜

Ali 1 xx

• Posted

Hi Alice ....Just ask to be put to sleep... thats all you have to do, I think on my second one I was left awake by accident, but did not feel a thing, just heard things and felt the movement, thuds of hammering, I was a job in a vice...but felt no pain, and it was interesting in a way...It was all over so fast, and it was actually easier than going to the Dentist......I really mean that...ideacoolcool

Kind regards Ian.

• Posted

Hey Ian

A long and thoughtful posting.

Yes, coming back to life restored as a hippy i reflect there will be doubts, different medical advice in Chester or Cornwall, different levels of engaging with the exercises needed to make healing work and

YES...It is all worth while, very

Take care

Mic

• Posted

Well said Ian, although the 3 years in my case were actually 10 years of carrying stock up three flights of stairs and back down to the shop floor when needed. There was no lift either.. But slowly over the last 10 years things got worse and worse, until I couldn't drive couldn't walk and was petrified of being refused the op because of my Arterial Fibrulation. I don't drink only an odd sherry at Christmas smile I saw a Consultant 4 years prior to my op who said come back in another 10 years so I assumed that was what I had to do, until talking to my GP who asked me if we had done any good walks lately and I burst into tears telling her I couldn't walk couldn't garden and couldn't drive. Yhe best thing then happened to me and I have a new lease of life, maybe I push myself a bit too far as you have reminded me in the past, but it's because I don't want to miss any more of my life. It is a hard decision to make at any stage in your life but when your getting on there seems to be a more pressing time limit smile xx
  • Posted

Thank you Ian, your post made me cry in a good way and I will respond fully tomorrow. Tonight I am very tired as spent the weekend making deserts for charity events in my tiny village, funny when I don't eat them but, love to contribute.

God bless you for your "Northern" voice of reason. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.