Does Groin Pain indicate anything in particular?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi   

As my main pain is in Groin and then down leg/shin  does this indicate anything  in your wisdoms?  as been hearing about hip injections etc  -     my injection was actually into the groin?  (eye watering  gulp)      

Is this less typical picture is what Im asking?

anyone had same and then the op please?  could it be on a nerve as to why it goes down leg??  Is leg typical??

In fact at the start  3 years ago my back also was afected, and the big muscles to left, and couldnt straighten my leg flat! that is  until I had intense physio   and  then I had a  master osteopath sort out the tight back as  everything was  over stiff  at that point,    I must have been walking so badly etc,    I suppose I was so stressed but working like mad to keep afloat so was neglecting myself big time,  thats gone now, just the groin  leg and shin pain left,    - althouh 'minor'   as explained!      

Im questioning myself as he says minor, as to whether Im over egagerating the discomfort??,  Am I just  whoos?     this is why I need to loose the weight to be sure

The stiffness goes after a while of walking,  the pain comes in after walking,  then it can go off again without sitting  but usually need to sit to ease it off,  maybe it is minor?  is this less than you guys??

any comparisons grateful,   you will be so fed up with me  but this is last question promise!!  (for a while   smile     It will bring some peace of mind I hope

paulie  xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had two of the steroid shots which each worked for about a month. The first one was shot in the groin, the second one shot on from the side under moving x-Ray, it was really odd as it was a huge computer screen and I was looking at the same screen as the radiologist administering the shot.
  • Posted

Hip pain can be deceiving since it effects other parts of the body. I had major IT BAND pain for 6 years, only to find out it was my hip. If you have pain, it's generating from some place. Hopefully your Dr. Will find the cause and find a remedy.
  • Posted

thanks   yes   nearly there as injection ws great for 3 weeks, even though he said its so minor it is doing the business!!
  • Posted

Groin pain in most cases indicates osteoarthritis in the hip joint.

Here's my comparison:

Groin pain + pain down front and side of of thigh + knee pain and stiffness for over 2 years, GP gave injection into bursa (the part of your pelvis that sticks out). Result: no effect whatsoever.

After 6 months saw consultant who referred to have steroid injection which was given into groin. Result: worked for one week.

After 18 months finally saw consultant and a few months later saw surgeon who confirmed what I already knew. Result: total hip replacement.

- Now 3 months post op and happy! 

Good luck, do not suffer silently in pain, harass the medical people until you get results.

Regards,

Alison

• Posted

I'm into week 2 of steroid the injection into hip joint, groin area. I feel more of a dull ache down my leg, assumed it was nerve stuff from the injection. So far my hip, arthritis pain has substantially lessened. The dull ache is more, the more I walk during the day. I also had the moving fluoroscope so he could position the needles in the correct space. I was told it's very close to the spinal nerves.
  • Posted

Ihave had back issues...disc degeneration on all lumbar sacral spine and had several injections n epidurals for this so when i started with hip trouble apprx 2yrs ago was told it was from back. However the pain now in the groin is so intense and xray shows the damage from arthritis so have referral to see ortho surgeon on 25th sept.

The msk i saw about this said the smount of damage is not indicative of needing surgery...the pain is!

I worry that i would be given injection as first approach as msk told me if they are unsucessful then surgery cannot be done for 12mths.

By the same token he suggested resurfacing maybe necessary.

I hope you get some relief asap. Wish you well x

• Posted

cheesygrin  my dear paulie ....

you are so cute ... and quite courageous to come back with more and more questions )!!!!!  (joking)

okay -- this is my story .... 

After a transcontinental flight from amsterdam to los angeles and having sat in those fantastic narrow seats for 10 hours, I thought I had pulled a muslce in my groin ... limped around for a while, it didn;t go away and went to my GP - was send out for xray and it showed (2008!!!) mild osteoarthiritis --- couldn't  believe it and was in denial until 2014 ... needless to say that quality of life was not getting better and slowly I started to stop hiking, walking etc ... 

the discomfort is real and at times an understatement - it freaking hurts !!! 

after RTHR this March and probably at around 4 weeks post op, pain in left groin returned !!!!!!   now waiting for left hip to be done .... as my orto surgeon answered to my : WHY? question,  They are the same age .... the man has no sense of humor ....

come back any time -

love

renee

• Posted

My groin pain went on and does for years and that is what they diagnosed as a hip problem.  I have recently devolped a pain daily below rib cahe but assume and hope this is hip related because of the odd walk that us 'hippies' have.

​Are you hvaing an op in the futire or have oyu had?

Alice

• Posted

I had stabbing pains in the groin, aches on the side and also pain in the back at the upper edge of the pelvis. The stabbing pains and back pain have gone since the op. The  side aches gone too. I just have residual soreness now from the op on the side. the groin pain was obviously from the deterioration as was the side pain. The back pain was probably due to the way I was walking with the bad hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.