Mild, moderate or severe?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Nausea, diarrhea, joint pain, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, headaches, cramps, bloating and gas.  

I'm only 13 and experience these symptoms everyday. My nan has severe IBS and my doctor diagnosed me with it after 3 years, with the last four months being really bad. It's impacted on my education, relationships and self esteem. Is this mild, moderate or severe IBS?

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To be honest I find it a bit hard to believe a 13yr old is suffering with all these symptoms, you way too young to have IBS and memory loss etc etc, think you need to have a talk to your GP, and get to the bottom of your anxiety...
    • Posted

Now Terry what I am saying is from what she explains she only states nausea not that she has been vomiting there is a difference. If she chooses to hide something and ask for help in other ways then I think it's our duty to appease her and hopefully get through to her in a roundabout way. If someone is the willing to come on here and not be truthful they're only hurting themselves and will not get the help they are seeking. So I take her for her word because I have no reason to judge her otherwise. Unless she told her doctor something else and she has lost a lot of weight and/or they have other proof and she is just getting on here and misleading others in hopes of rationalize
    • Posted

Well my finger slipped at the end of rationalize so here's the rest. My point is I only see the symptoms she wrote. I'm not a doctor nor does that mean a doctor knows everything or is a good judge of character either. He could have hurt her worse by even suggesting that to her without running other tests or believing her first he is already diagnosed her with IBS and anxiety. She will most likely have to be caught in the act to be proven bulimic because I think if she has nausea and vomiting from IBS its going to throw her into the same metabolic state if its at severe. So I hope she's being truthful I think she is and I hope she gives us a follow up sooner or later on how she's doing.
    • Posted

I know of children with this who cant go to school with these very real symptoms, not ones in the mind/coming from anxiety;  these are also the symptoms for M.E. The youngest reported patient is 6, I believe.
    • Posted

Terry, with respect you are wrong ! (re 'way too young.....')
  • Posted

IBS is no respecter of age;  even young children can get it and especially if you are anxious.   Anxiety can bring on memory problems and confusion.

If a close relative has IBS, you are three times as likely to get it.  I developed the condition as a result of stress.

if your doctor has diagnosed you with it, trust what he says.  If IBS has impacted on your life like this, your symptoms are certainly not mild.  

• Posted

Thanks Phillipa! Yeah my anxiety is pretty mild though. Thanks for the help!smile
  • Posted

You think just cuz she has nausea and symptoms of IBS and anxiety of which seem to sometimes run hand in hand. I'm sure we all know if you have IBS sooner or later you're going to get anxiety if you didn't already have it if not just from putting up with all the doctors that don't believe you, so to tell somebody, especially a child that you think they are bulimic and need a psychiatrist makes me think you need one, it's pretty ignorant at the least. We're supposed to be helping each other on here not drawing conclusions and judging. Were all troubles in many different ways. But yes hun if you're having all those symptoms and you already have a diagnosis of IBS you're one of the lucky ones most people have to see many doctors before they have a diagnosis and are just told we have anxiety and depression. So yes I would see your doctor again and get on a good treatment plan maybe even meds for both to rule it out
    • Posted

Thank you so much fireid13! I have really mild managed anixiety which doesn't affect my everyday life. I'm not bullimic, and my doctor tried to convince my mum I was. It was terrible, I was in tears. Thanks for your advice. I will follow it.
    • Posted

Your welcome, but when you say you have mild managed anxiety you might be missing the fact that the anxiety might be more than you think and causing the more severe symptoms of your IBS so if that is what is going on in your anxiety might be worse than you think more of an underlying anxiety you don't think you feel. But I believe it can also be the reverse your IDs to just be getting worse and causing more anxiety. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Posted

with respect Fireid, its a mistake to put too much emphasis on anxiety. I was given this wrong diagnosis for yrs by blinkered doctors and I had to find my own alternative treatment. If you are awoken by stomach pains or stomach acid, headaches etc, its not anxiety. I also get headches, joint/muscle aches, confusion and memory loss and its caused by IBS - NOT anxiety
    • Posted

That's exactly how I feel you might have read me wrong or I might have written or mislead you the opposite direction. I think a lot of doctors jump to fast to anxiety and/or depression with a lot of diagnosis is and medicate you for it and then you go years with fault diagnosis in your a condition gets worse probably like mine. Of course I may be a Type A personality and if something is going on with me its going to worry the hell out of me and I'm going to have anxiety over it so therefore I may have anxiety symptoms on top of IBS but I don't believe my problem stems directly from anxiety either what else do you know or can tell me that I may use to help out my situation
  • Posted

sounds severe, i think if its everyday your doctor  should be referring you to a consultant.  I think a dietician may help a lot. (Sometimes, btw, there can be microbes even in tap water, a frnd of mine got IBS that way) There can also be pesticide residues in veg). It would be worth trying an exclusion diet. As you are so young to get this, I hope it can be looked into early rather than for it to develop into a long term chronic condition, it could lead to M.E./CFIDS. I would change doc. if all he/she does is palm you off with more drugs. I think the drugs themselves can do damage long term, and prefer an organic food approach, eg cider vinegar with warm water, and trying to exclude caffeine, dairy and wheat foods, thats my view anyway. Take care and best wishes
  • Posted

Hi beingella, are you sure you have i.b.s?  People aren't normally diagnosed so young and it doesn't necessarily run in families, this sounds more like coeliac or dietary problems, you doctor should check this out properly!  Good luck, I hope you get to the route cause of this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.