Advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am heading back to university this weekend, and before I leave I really want to let my Mum know about my anxiety and depression, because I have managed to hide it from her for so long and think that ultimately it'd be better to let her know. My Mum and I are fairly different individuals (she's all science and I'm all artsy) and I struggle to get across why sometimes I am in 'a funny mood', or why I sit in my room for hours on end not wanting human interaction. I want her to know that there is a reason I am the way I am, but I really don't know how to go about telling her. I'm so scared of everything coming out wrong and her misinterpreting what I'm opening up about.

Any advice on how I should go about doing this? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

yes but at the end of the day she is your mum please tell her i wish i could tell my mum but she past away in 2002 she was my friend as well as my mum
  • Posted

Yes, please do sit her down, over a cup of tea, and let her know what is going on with you. Your Mum will be there for you, and help you any way she can. xx
  • Posted

I agree that you should tell your mum but is it wise to do it when you are going back to Uni?   Don't you think she will worry more when you are not at home?  x
  • Posted

hi olivia are you afraid that your mum wont understand why you have been as you are i bet she will be more disappointed that you have not felt able to tell her how you really feeling inside ! please sit your mum down and explain to her that your suffering from anxiety and depression and you could be doing with her support in getting better ! has your uni got someone you can talk to if so they may be able to help you during term time ! i wish you the best of luck david

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.