Today my fight with a tramadol addiction is over.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just returned from my detox clinic that I have been attending for 8months. I have been officially discharged and tramadol addiction free...Feeling elated that I fought with the devil and won...If I can do it anyone can...good luck to those still fighting the fight...you will get there Jx

5 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Brilliant, well done you. X
    • Posted

Thank you so much Mark its been a long 8 months but worth it....If I can do it most people can and I wish them all the luck in the world to get off this dreadfull drug jx
    • Posted

Congrats Jayne! Good for you! I hope your feeling like your old self again. 

I'm tring real hard not to take Tram everyday for my damn nerve pain so I do not become dependent/addicted!! <3>

• Posted

Thank you marie33 I would really consider trying something other than tramadol....Admittedly I am on fentanyl patches and the amitryptaline for nerve pain...I think its trial and error..
  • Posted

That's fantastic news, Jayne. smile Well done. You sound elated in your post! smile

I hope your strength can help others trying to kick this addiction. xx

• Posted

Well done you, a huge pat on the back, did give them a go and had to come off them, yuk horrid things. Re your amitryptaline, best take them at night before going to bed (with any other night-time meds).  If you are suffering from nerve pain ask about Guenethidine nerve blocks.  It is a painful procedure (best done under a very light general), but when it starts working you really do feel the benefit.
    • Posted

Thank you for your supporting words..Yes amitryptaline with one 5ml diazepam and touch wood so far the nerve pain easing up..I have been through pain management for 2 years had most procedures regarding nerve root blocks, epidurals etc I must have had at least 9 procedures all to no avail...I will mention Guenethidine next time round. Thanks again jx
  • Posted

That is wonderful!! So glad for you. Im in a bit of a scary place rt now. Ya know I kicked Tramadol back in May of 2014, after being on it for 7-8 yrs. Last two yrs of being on it (2012-13)was on 15-20. Went to detox facility for 5 days. Don't remember much of it but do remember the restless legs an anxiety an flu like symptoms etc. They had me Elavil an Klonapine while there an after discharge had rx for Klonapine . Then in June was put on Zoloft took for two mnths. No go. Got sick lost tons of wt an liver enzymes went up. So had to stop it an also decided to stop Klonapine which I was taking everyday since left detox but had lowered it slowly. That was hard stopping Klonapine. Then in Sept the depression hit an hard. Got pretty bad. Also found out I was in menopause or starting it so put on 10mg Lexapro an started bio-identical hormone therapy. By Feb not much of a chg. I was desperate for happiness. So in May of this yr talked to my new Dr an told him I had been researching Tramadol an some people use it as antidepressant. So started on 2 a day with a real rx (last time was getting off internet so it was a secret)& not asecret. Now went up to 3 by rx an now I noticed Im wwanting to go up. I thought I could handle this but apparently not. So taking 4 & half everyday an always worried about refills an blah, blah, blah. Starting to think like a yr ago. I hate it. Iv got to get off these AGAIN! Can't afford detox center so doing it this wkend starting Fri renting hotel rm until Sept 7 (labor day in U.S. kids are out of school)an withdrawing. Im tapering down today by half a pill. Then tomorrow another half an Thurs down to 3 a day then Fri nine. Since only been on them for 3mnthshoping its not as bad as ladt time in detox facility. Any suggestions would be helpful. Im scared. Scared of how Im gonna feel like crap an after. I cant take the depression an anxiety. I had been seeing a psychologist but stopped going in March. So probably will see a psychiatric dr.

Any tips? For withdrawals . Thanks an God bless

• Posted

I saw I typed incorrectly the doses lowering part before I stop Fri. I typed "nine" meant "none"!
    • Posted

Hi Zio10 all I can say is the diazepam helped with the anxiety, but then I have had a GAD for years..I do take sertraline which I found to be helpful.  The tapering by half is the best possible way to reduce withdrawal, the downside to this is tapering by half and stay at that for 2 weeks..After 2 weeks reduce again by half for 2 weeks. This is the most humane way to go about it , sorry but no quick detox from this drug. See if your Doc can help with the anxiety with diazepam..I wish you luck jx
    • Posted

Sorry if I have mentioned this in a prior posting . Once you are below 5 trams a day you can instantly transfer to a pain patch, once the patch kicks in the need for the tramadol will be negligent. I personally would get my back up reserve plan in order before reducing any further. The reason I am saying this is because the detox doc I saw who btw was fantastic asked " well how are you going to control your pain once you stop the tramadol "? I was like erm, I don,t know what the options are. Thats when she suggested fentanyl . I was like whoah thats a bit strong isnt it? She said because  my opiate tolerance was so sky high this would be the only thing that would actually be of any benefit..As ive mentioned before I have only been on the patches 3 weeks its still early days...for all I know things could go tits up excuse the language and then I would have to reassess where I am at, more importantly where and in which direction I will be heading...the main thing is to try these combinations and just hope we find one that helps...Take care jx
    • Posted

It,s perfectly normal to feel scared I was terrified that they were going to take my 20-30 a day trams away. I was afraid of withdrawal symptoms, which I might add I never got..I was also mainly concerned about the affect on my MH . All of these fears were completely unfounded. Again all I can say is slowly slowly does it if you begin to feel withdrawal after a small reduction then go back to that dose where you felt ok but then reduce it by even less than before maybe just by a quarter...I wish you well on your journey jx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.