Severe pain in esophagus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have sojgrens and polymalgia Rheumatica, I also suffer from acid reflux but have controlled it for 25 years with prilosec. I have diabetes. I have had sojgrens and pr for about 14 years but was misdiagnosed so many times by many doctors. Discovered the real cause 4 months ago when had a really terrible flair of both and was tested. I am in resmission according to blood test at this time. Ever since that bad flair I have had pain in the center of chest and center of back. Muscles very sore. At times if I slump over (like at computer) or after I eat I have a stabbing pain in my esophagus and feel like it spasms all the way from center chest to my throat and jaw. Pain is severe last about 3 to 5 minutes. Afterward I am so sore in my chest-back I can not wear a bra. Muscles very sore. Blood pressure rockets to 200/100 pulse 114. I often strangle on water. This is unlike any acid reflux I have ever expericenced. I had a stress test and heart cath less than a year ago any had no problems. Do not feel it is heart related. Seeing my doctor tomorrow will ask for a endoscopy. Sometime my breathing seems labored esp. when I wake up at night.

Has anyone else expericenced this kind of symptom from Sojgrens?

Pain and soreness to just too much. Something has got to give on this. I am trying to watch what I eat. My acid reflux was always caused not by food but by medicines (prescriptions & OTC) I am on predinsone 11 mg and slowly continuing to reduce every two weeks. Want off presdnisone. Would like to be put on something else when I am off prednisone. I understand if I try to change in middle of prednisone to another it will often cause a flair.  Any advice? This chest thing is really bad!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan 

I'm sorry to hear you have been having such a ruff time with the awful condition, I also have acid reflux, but I don't have quite as much of a problem with my throat, although when taking my meds I do have a problem with swallowing them. I do hope that your GP " can help you find a remedy for these frustrating symptoms. ASAP.

• Posted

Hi Susan I sympathise! It's sounds as if you have a very bade case of acid reflux! However with those BP and pulse readings I think you should make an appointment to see your GP. If you are taking medication and are under a rheumatologis you do need to speak to your Rheumy nurse too. Are you a member of the BSSA? If not I suggest either giving them a ring to ask their advice, or I run a FB group for Sjogrens our Admins are all BSSA members. To go back to your problems, if you have been taking painkillers that might be the cause, especially if you have IBS too? I take esomeprazole for acid reflux. It might be worth asking your GP to check your BP, diabetes and test you for coeliac too. If you take steroids that might be the cause. For temporary relief try putting a couple of blocks at the top of your bed to help the acid to drain away from your oesophagus. If you would like more advice you are welcome to join British Sjogrens on FB. 
  • Posted

You are not alone.  Your symptoms describe mine perfectly.  Going through the diagnosing thing right now.  Have been hospitalized 3 times over night.  Now on 40mg Omeprazole in morning and Peptac after meals and before bed.  Been to chest pain clinic and awaiting a heart scan. I also cannot lift anything or reach for anything and my chest feels swollen.  I sleep with loads of pillows and each very small non rich meals which seems to help.  This major episode started when I was prescribed Steroids (was given uncoated ones as the NHS are trying to save money), after a massive reaction to hydroxychloroquine.  By the way when I wear a bra I am wearing my elderly mums at 44d (I only wear 38!) Please do call 111/999 if you have chest pain. You are not alone!
    • Posted

Hi Kate I hope you too are OK now. IBS associated with Sjogrens is common. I have had mouth ulcers all my life. Non stop, from age 3, by 20 I had a positive Schirmer, however the IBS problems really gathered pace in my 20s. I now am on Esomeprazole, however as I am negative to Coeliac my consultant put me onto Sulfasalazine and the IBS of a lifetime has stopped. Are you a BSSA member? If you want to chat on FB I run a FB group for BSSA members and those with Sjogrens Syndrome, you are most welcome to join British Sjogrens. 
    • Posted

Thanks Pam.  I am still going through the diagnostic process with the rheumatology department.  I have SICCA symptoms and loads of others, but I think my ANA was negative.  See the rheumy later this month. As you saw from my post Hydroxychloroquine caused a massive reaction, skin peeling off etc, which was sad because within a few weeks I felt like a new woman.  The rheumy offered me Sulfasalazine or methatrexate at my last appt but I was feeling so poorly after the reaction I have held off until my next appt.  I have a diagnosis so far of Osteoarthritis with an inflammatory component.  Thanks for replying as it wasnt even my post.. I will have a look on fb.
    • Posted

Well you DO have an amazing rheumy! Most won't give you anything unless you have a positive ANA! However since your severe reaction I don't blame you for avoiding. The main thing you need to think of is why? What did your parents have, did they have RA or psoriasis or PCOS? Have you? I had a mother with Psoriasis and a father with flat feet. I am double jointed, so my autoimminutity is complicated. I only have a positive ANA as psoriatic arthritis is often seronegative. In my case I had PCOS, then far too much progestogen to keep my babies. This has made my hypermobile joints more bendy, but they are Psoriasis joints not osteo! If your IBS or GERD gets worse you do need to see a rheumatologist or a gastroendercrinologst about this. In the mean time try not to get stressed, as stress makes everything far worse. I know how bad you must have been when your skin peeled off, I had the same after a spinal abscess I went into septic shock! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.