Increase in losartan , feel sick

Posted , 3 users are following.

After turning 60 this year I have had 1 ailment after another. Tore my rotator cuff in April, developed systemic muscle stiffness and aches after the tear, and recently fell and broke a bone in my ankle and re- hurt my rotator cuff. Through all of this my blood pressure has continued to climb. GP increased my Losartan HCTZ to 100 mgs. Started to get a backache and AM diarrhea. Went back to the GP , decided to put me on plain losartan without the diuretic. Backache has improved, but still have diarrhea every AM and stomach gurgling most of the day. I should mention I was on 25 mgs for years and never had these problems. I should also mention that I'm very depressed and on an anti depressant. Does anyone know if there's another drug out there that lowers blood pressure and doesn't cause these symptoms?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I wonder whether there is an interaction between your anti-depressant and the losartan. What about stopping the anti-depressant for a couple of weeks and seeing if your gut problems lessen or disappear?

I like nibbling a rice cake, which is calorie free or almost, if I feel about miserable in my tummy and this often helps - perhaps it's acidity.

Taking a good swallow of fluid with the losartan is important.

I tend to get constipated as the losartan builds up in my body, so I have taken to missing out one full 100mg dose per week or so.

So, the gut does respond to the losartan.

Did you go straight from 25mg to 100mg? If so, how about taking 50mg for a time but get the tablets and don't split the 100mgs if possible.

I wouldn't be too hasty about leaving the losartan for an alternative.

• Posted

You can split losartan easily as they have a groove but I use a pill cutter and split my doses.

Depression is a listed side effect for Losartan.

Try googling Losartan with the name of your anti-depressant for interactions. 

• Posted

Were you replying to Bert or writing to me, derek?
  • Posted

I was on 25 mgs of losartan HCTZ for years. Since my blood pressure was rising my GP increased it immediately to 100 mgs. I went back to him and told him it was causing severe low back pain . He then changed it to 100 mgs losartan. In addition to morning diarrhea it also causes me to feel kind of "achy" like I'm catching something. I just haven't felt well while taking it. I don't think it's the anti depressant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.