2 years, same achilles pain, advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, I've been rambling on another site and not getting much help and just stumbled across you all.

I will try to be brief. I'm an aging athlete, age 45. I had major bone spurs at the back of my heel and was suggested to have them shaved down. Seemed like a reletively simple surgery, so i went for it. My doctor said i would be up and running in 3 months. I'm now at my 2 year mark and after countless rehab and patience, i'm now beginning to think i may have some problems. I play Ultimate frisbee and this year, ive had lots of strange overcompensating injuries. I hobble when running and just can't shake this nagging pain. Seems my achilles is always weak. I especially feel it when driving, very annoying. I've also been to other doctors and have had MRI's done after the surgery but my 2nd opinion doc said everything checks fine. One more thing, i have nagging pain going down my right side of my calf, straight towards the surgically repaired achilles. I also have to mention that the doctor put my splint on too tight and damaged nerves on the left top side of my foot. I've been managing that as well.

I'm sure i missed a few parts of my story yet i still feel i was long winded..haha.

Thanks for listening and im all ears on anything you all may think is going on with me. I've been reading alot of comments on here so far of near close situation that i'm going through so i'm sure i will get some feedback,

thanks,

Jeff

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can't help you I am afraid, but I have just had an operation to remove a spur and a bursa, also to clean up a very inflamed tendon... I do know that bursa's can come back and so can the inflammation to the Achelis. 
  • Posted

I would stop the Frisbee and go in for intense physiotherapy.  I would also have an issue with your doctor for the damaged nerves. That was certainly his mistake for making the splint too too tight.  This is sensory nerve damage which produces pain, burning, and problems with positional awareness.  Go back to this doctor and really complain about what's been done and you want to see it put right.

• Posted

I had given up frisbee for a long time during my recovery, with no luck. Believe me when i say, from day one, i had processed my paperwork for compensation for the nerve damage. It's been 2 years and i need to revisit this but, i'm dealing with the VA here so...who knows when i will get an answer on that. As soon as i did this, i was turned down to see her again, something tells me, she didn't want to face me after the incident. Unfortunately too, she's the only foot doctor the VA has to offer. With that said, i did go to a different doctor outside of the VA, they did a MRI and said everything looks fine and i just need to find a good PT. (the VA PT turned me away after a few months). I did but, i just couldn't afford each visit. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.