Feeling agitated while withdrawing

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have now tapered down to half a 37.5 in the morning and the other half of it at night and I am aiming to stay on this for 2 or 3 weeks depending on how I cope! However I am starting to feel agitated at night and I'm finding it difficult to switch off to sleep, I am also finding it difficult to keep still, any ideas on how I can cope with this please! Thank you

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm on half a 37.5 tablet a day, been feeling so weird and I too experience the weird dreams! The only way I can guarantee any sleep is going to the gym, if I don't I just lye there for hours! I also take the following vitamins and I really think they've helped;

Omega 3 + fish oil 1000mg - I just got the Boots own one

Vitamin D - D3 1000 IU

Multi vitamin - I buy the Centrenum, you need a good one!

I wash this all down with a large glass of fresh orange juice!

It really has made a huge difference, if I have a bad head day (zaps and slow mo) I take an extra omega 3 tablet!

Sadly I'm struggling to move from the half tablet so have just started the Prozac bridge - really hopes this gets me off the last little bit!

I'm so fed up of feeling rubbish and ill everyday!

Best of luck doing to last leg!

Katy xx

• Posted

I got told last week you can't half these tablets. The doc suggested every other day. Any thoughts? Xx
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply, list of supplements as well!Β 

I take fish oil + omega and also a Mineral supplement! I'm not sure if they are doing anything as I'm feeling pretty rubbish at the moment especially in the evenings I feel on edge and fidgety and in need of something to help me relax! Good luck on your journey! 😊

• Posted

The half life of venlafaxine is really short, something like 15 hours, so going every other day will cause you great grief with withdrawal. Β See if your doc can prescribe a liquid that can be dosed down with a syringe. Β I am tapering Effexor but have the XR which is little beads, so I open the capsule and count beads. Β Unfortunately, there can still be a lot of variation day to day because the beads aren't all exactly the same size, not as much a problem at higher doses, but can be for some when getting down to the lower end.
  • Posted

I got told last week you can't half these tablets. The doc suggested every other day. Any thoughts? Xx
    • Posted

You can break the 37.5mg in half as they are quick release - almost mine have a grove in them for breaking.

What you should never do it break a slow release, I was breaking my 150mg in half when I started weaning a few months ago and that made the withdrawal symptoms so much worse!

• Posted

Oh and I've read taking them every other day isn't good as you get hit with the horrid withdrawal symptoms constantly and it's too much for your body and brain to go through, for me lowering the dose every couple of weeks has been fine, I'm just stuck trying to get of my 18.75 mg daily dosage!
    • Posted

Ah right. Mine are the slow release I think. Maybe that's why the doc said I can't half them. Yes Iv heard every other day isn't the best. How would I reduce from 37.5 then? Thanks xxx
    • Posted

Well I must admit I've struggled to get off the 18.75mg so I've actually just starting bridging with Prozac, my job is so fast paced that I just cannot afford (in the professional & financial) way to be off my game and God forbid take time off but I have to try this as I just wasn't getting any further and the withdrawal symptoms were starting to affect everything in my life, I would highly recommend the vitamins I mentioned earlier - I never thought the omega 3 and fish oil could make such a difference, when I start to feel funny I take on and it's like the fog in my eyes clears!

I'm hoping with bridging I should be free of Venlafaxine in a month then another 2 weeks to get off the Prozac, all in all, it would have been 3 months in total from my first reduction in medication!

• Posted

Hi Katey.

I'm nearly there and also take omega 3 and vitamin b and i drink lots of cranberry juice.

I also eat lots of fish and fruit. Not too sure if it helps but can't do any harm.

Its a travesty that the Doctors who prescribe these have no idea how to get us off them and we have to seek advice from an internet forum and i would like to thank everybody who has advised me on here.

Has anyone been called in for a review? as i have'nt and its nearly 5 years!.

However the DIY way has been worth all the trail and error, i've lost weight and my blood pressure is now normal, not sure about my chloestral as need to go to the surgery for that and am determined to keep away.

Ian

• Posted

I'm sorry I've only just logged on and seen your message! I've been halving my 37.5 with a pill cutter for the past 3 weeks! I'm due to see my GP on Monday to update, she said to me "you seem to know what you are doing" so I'm left to my own devises! I'm scared that when I see her Monday she will say that's it, no more!Β 

How are you doing? K X

• Posted

The only symptoms I'm suffering are brain zaps and diahorrhea. Must admit the brain zaps are bad. Pretty much constant. This is my second day without venlafaxine. Now Iv started I'm not going back. I'm the same as you, work is fast paced. I'm a staff nurse so need to be on the ball at all times. I'm off for a week after tomorrow so hoping the worst will be then away from work.

I felt the same as you. When my doc said finally half then stop you panic. We all know what it feels like when you forget your venlafaxine for even just an hour or two. That's bad enough, so the shear thought of none is scary. I think it's one of those where you just have to do it. I keep thinking I'm better now and I don't require this tablet anymore. Due to being on it 15 years, I expect side effects. Yesterday I forced myself to keep busy. This helped. Best of luck. You can do it πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Posted

Well done Elaine, I think I will go to one half a day next week, not looking forward to it as already got the zaps on two halfs ! I must make sure I keep taking the fish oil as I've read that helps! Have a good week off and keep occupied! Keep in touch K 😊X
    • Posted

Just wanted to let you know Iv had a crying session today. Couldn't stop and not even sure why. Puts us through our paces this stuff doesn't it! Xxx
    • Posted

Probably a good sign Elaine. Its an emotion i did'nt feel for years. Slowly returning now though.
    • Posted

Oh Elaine, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a bad time at the moment! This drug has a lot to answer for. I'm really struggling with my memory, I cannot think straight and can't read anything! I had a few tears yesterday as I couldn't remember where I'd parked my car in a carpark, I had only been gone 15 minutes!!Β 

I hope you are feeling better now the tears are out, we don't always know why we cry, it's tension relief, natures way with dealing with stress I suppose!?Β 

Anyway let's get through this, don't let this stuff win!!Β 

Take care, keep in touch! K xx

• Posted

Elaine I have sent you a reply but for some reason it's got to be monitored ??
    • Posted

No, i have'nt. Thinking its almost impossible. Now settling on 18.5 then going to miss a day, take for 3 then miss a day, take for 2 and so on. Could'nt do it on tapering right down then stopping. This has been a long 8 months. I was only ill for 3 months in the first place.
    • Posted

It's a rotten Withdrawel process. Hoping day 3 without will prove to be better than today. Best of luck x
    • Posted

Thinking of you, good luck! I don't know what step down to next, on 37.5 split am and pm! 😊😊xx
    • Posted

Hi kay.

I did that a month or so ago and was ok with it as long as i took the bits at exactly the same time everyday. It was the step after that when it went wrong.

Ian

• Posted

I'm ready to down again and not sure what to do!? Any advice? Thanks 😏
    • Posted

I'd stop your night dose. So you'd be on 18.75mg in the morning. I did this for 3 weeks then stopped all together. Day 3 was better than day 2 of stopping. Hoping day 4 will be an improvement. Crying bouts are bad but now I've stopped I'm determined see it through. Let me know what you decide xxx
    • Posted

Keep it up Elaine! You are doing well! I will be glad to get back to "me" whoever that is after 20 years!! It will be lovely to read and follow a knitting pattern, just to be able to think and concentrate again! I think on Monday I will drop the evening dose and hope any bad zaps will get lost in my very vivid dreams I've been having!

I'll let you know how I go!

Enjoy your time off work! Speak soon, take care 😊 Kaye x

• Posted

Oh it's been fantastic, I've been off the dreaded Venlafaxine for 3 weeks now and feel great, odd little brain zaps here and there but I feel great knowing I'm off that stuff!

I probably took about 4 Prozac tablets in total over a week and 3 weeks ago thought what if I stop and I did!

Please note that I have very slowly reduced over about 4 months from 150mg to 18.75 and id been on the lower dose for about 3 weeks!

Honestly anyone struggling PLEASE ask your GP for the bridge, i couldn't have done it just weaning off!

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to hearing everyone's success stories, not more brain zaps or slow motion head!!!!!! xx

• Posted

Oh one tiny side effect I've had is being teary - I don't balls my eyes out but will see something and get watery eyes, but then I laugh and smile because I can feel emotions again! smile xx
    • Posted

So glad to hear you are free from this horrid drug smile it did me well for nearly 5 years and then about 3 weeks ago it just seemed to stop working and all of my anxiety came flooding back. I too was on 150mg and for the past week I've been on 112.5mg and it's bloody hard. My gp has given me 5mg of escitalopram to try help and said to continue another 2 weeks at 112.5mg then will be reducing to 75mg xx
    • Posted

Well done so far though, just attempted to come off the drug is a true feat in itself! Whatever you do, do it slowly! Don't rush it, we know it's going to take a couple of months of hard slog but the quicker you do it, your mind and body may not be ready to deal with it and cause more problems and issues!

Did you see me post about the supplements, I'll try finding it and posting it too you, I still use these today and I honestly think these helped me with lowering my dose!

I used to read these stories of people saying - "I'm finally off this drug" and I used to think he's right, it's impossible to come off, well I did it and at one point thought the only way I was ever going to come off it was in a mental ayulum as the withdrawals were just so awful I felt more mentally disturbed then prior to requiring medication!

Keep at it honey, you can and will come off of it in time xx

• Posted

Found it

Vitamin D - D3 1000 IU

It really has made a huge difference, if I have a bad head day (zaps and slow mo) I take an extra omega 3 tablet!

Oh and don't forget litres and litres of water, think of ever time you drink water, it's washing the nasty drug out your system oh and lastly; exercise, even if it's just a brisk walk!

xx

• Posted

Found it

Vitamin D - D3 1000 IU

Oh and don't forget litres and litres of water, think of ever time you drink water, it's washing the nasty drug out your system oh and lastly; exercise, even if it's just a brisk walk!

xx

• Posted

Thank you hun I'll be sure to get them supplements ill try anything, I have 3 young children and I miss doing things with them. It's a struggle getting through each day even the diazepam aren't taking the edge off. I'll be doing another 2 weeks at 112.5mg (and 5mg escitalopram) then 3 weeks at 75mg (10mg escitalopram) 3 weeks at 37.5mg (still 10mg escitalopram) then a final few weeks of 18.75mg if needs be can move escitalopram up to 20mg xx
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, I was just wondering how you are getting on? I hope you are managing without! I am going my first night alone tonight, fingers crossed I can go until the morning! Hope to hear from you soon, Kaye πŸ˜€
    • Posted

Hi. That's fantastic. Well done. I'm now on day 12 of Veneflaxine free. It's getting better I have to say. The crying has subsided and the brain zaps are getting a lot less. I won't lie, it's hard, but knowing I will be my own person eventually speaks volumes.

My family have been amazing and helped through the crying episodes. Must be hard for them also seeing their mum/wife go through it but I keep thinking it's not forever. Once the drug is out of your system then it's onwards and upwards πŸ‘

Best of luck. Keep me informed and remember, all the symptoms you may get are normal from taking Veneflaxine. One day at a time xxx

• Posted

I'm 3 weeks on Tuesday free of the dreaded drug - I thought the crying was just me! I cry at the daftest things but laugh as its so silly! I watch silly happy animal videos on Facebook and ball my eyes out then laugh my head off at silly I am! How nice is it too have emotions again though!

Well done for coming so far though! Omega 3 tablets for those brain zaps! I'm still getting them but really not as bad as when I first started withdrawing! We're doing guys!!! Nearly off and free!!!! xxxxx

• Posted

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.